Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old December 13, 2014   #16
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

When I was young literally the only vegetable I didn't like was okra. Now I love it. Pickled, fried, in gumbo, you name it! So that's means I now officially love all vegetables!

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11, 2015   #17
Chapinz8
Tomatovillian™

I could eat Okra 8 days a week. My favorite dish, period, is fried okra (cornmeal only), crowder peas, chopped slices of tomato, and chopped hot green peppper. Mix all together on your plate with some s&P. On my second plate I add some extra hot pepper. I always eat too much and use too much pepper, but if I keep practicing I'll get her right one day!
Chapinz8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11, 2015   #18
FLRedHeart
Tomatovillian™

Ditto here Chapin! All those ingredients were in my parents' cooking. Barry, if there is a such thing as heirloom fryin pans, their 10 1/2" Griswold is unbeatable! (Even if keeping it oiled and cleaned and flat is a job):
FLRedHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11, 2015   #19
Vespertino
Tomatovillian™

Oh my goodness I LOVE okra! I was thinking of growing some this year, the red varieties caught my eye along with a Texas variety. Only I'm quite certain I won't have room in the yard until I put in some raised beds, which would be at least a year or two (decided to pay someone to do it since it would require digging up half the sprinkler system and redesigning the layout).

Fried okra is great, and a Japanese restaurant I like has it's homage to fried okra with their seasonal okra tempura. It's really great in Indian and Malay curries too
Vespertino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11, 2015   #20
Chapinz8
Tomatovillian™

FLRedHart, that's a well maintained fry pan!

Vespertino, I would recommend Evertender Okra which I order from Southern Exposure Seed Exchange. It is still tender when it's a little larger than the other varieties and is easy to pick. Highly rated in an extensive trial by the Kerr Center in Oklahoma. Out of 30 varieties, that is not a misprint, it was 1 of 4 with a "very high yield" and rated the easiest to pick out of the 30.

One caveat, the trials stated it got about 38" tall by August 14. Mine, here in South Carolina, are about 5 feet tall by then and end up 8 - 10 feet or so by the time I have to remove them for the winter greens.

After 5 years I'm sticking with them.
Chapinz8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11, 2015   #21
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

You guys should see what the Asian Indians do with okra.
I have cooked a few their way, un darn believable how good it is.
One thing though you have to have the spices and they need to be toasted in a pan the way they do.
Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11, 2015   #22
Vespertino
Tomatovillian™

Worth:

That's the only way to do it! I have a lot of whole spices in my cupboard just for making Indian/Paki/Malay food. Madhur Jaffrey has an excellent book on curries. I like Pakistani and Malay curries best Especially when there's okra in them.
Old January 11, 2015   #23
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

Never tried it in my life until two years ago. I got seeds as an extra pack (a gift). Was so surprised with the beauty of the flowers along with germination percentage. Never tried it in cooking or never bought from store. First one I grew I ate row. I read somewhere that youngsters are not as slimy and great eaten raw. Taste like early picked nuts. Has some milky under taste. So I tried. Never dip fried okra. Did add it to my fried veggies. Still prefer raw eaten right from the plant. It is delicious.

God comes along and says, "I think I'm going to create THE tomato!”
efisakov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11, 2015   #24
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vespertino View Post
Worth:

That's the only way to do it! I have a lot of whole spices in my cupboard just for making Indian/Paki/Malay food. Madhur Jaffrey has an excellent book on curries. I like Pakistani and Malay curries best Especially when there's okra in them.
They have a wee little store in Austin that is called the Phoenician market and deli.
Have things you can't get anywhere else.
I'm out of black tea and need to go there soon.
Worth
Old January 11, 2015   #25
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by efisakov View Post
Never tried it in my life until two years ago. I got seeds as an extra pack (a gift). Was so surprised with the beauty of the flowers along with germination percentage. Never tried it in cooking or never bought from store. First one I grew I ate row. I read somewhere that youngsters are not as slimy and great eaten raw. Taste like early picked nuts. Has some milky under taste. So I tried. Never dip fried okra. Did add it to my fried veggies. Still prefer raw eaten right from the plant. It is delicious.
Ella I like it raw too.
To kill the slime you can use any acid.
When someone from India means acid they will say sour as in lime or Limon juice.
At least that is what the woman was saying on a video I saw.

Worth
Old January 11, 2015   #26
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

can it be pickled?
I like pickled
does any one has ....

God comes along and says, "I think I'm going to create THE tomato!”
efisakov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11, 2015   #27
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by efisakov View Post
can it be pickled?
I like pickled
does any one has ....
Yes it can be pickled we used to put up jars and jars of it.
Now I just buy it from the store.

Many recipes on line for pickled okra and due to the acid it isn't slimy.
Best if pickled with garlic and hot peppers.
Worth
Old January 11, 2015   #28
Vespertino
Tomatovillian™

Has anyone tried lacto-fermeting okra pickles? Most of the recipes I've seen for pickling okra use vinegar. I'm a fan of good old fashioned lacto-pickles, especially kosher dills and "new" pickles. Can okra be pickled in that way?
Old January 19, 2015   #29
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vespertino View Post
Has anyone tried lacto-fermeting okra pickles? Most of the recipes I've seen for pickling okra use vinegar. I'm a fan of good old fashioned lacto-pickles, especially kosher dills and "new" pickles. Can okra be pickled in that way?
Never tried it that way. But what I have done is use the old juice from naturally fermented pickles and just plopped in the okra, some garlic and a hot pepper. Can normally and the pickles were great.

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19, 2015   #30
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

Fried okra is one of my favorite foods, course most people outside of the south think that junk they serve in restaurants is the real deal but it ain't. We cut ours thin toss it in a 50/50 mix of cornmeal and flour with a little black pepper. Throw it in some hot grease and cook till crispy on the outside. That's "traditional" fried okra here in my region. The key is cooking it long enough to eliminate the slime but not so long it taste burnt. I personally like to mix mine in with my mashed potatoes, yummm so good making me want some now.
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote