Tomatoville® Gardening Forums


Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 25, 2018   #16
BlackBear
Tomatovillian™
 
BlackBear's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Nanaimo , BC
Posts: 942
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrey_BY View Post
40-50 tomato varieties, about 10 sweet pepper varieties, 1-2 hot peppers etc.


I think that will be my challenge for 2019 to culture

No more than 50 Tom Varieties /season ...........

But that is next year ....


More with less and less is more etc.
__________________
So Many Tomatoes ...So Little Time !
BlackBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25, 2018   #17
kath
Tomatovillian™
 
kath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: zone 6b, PA
Posts: 5,554
Default

Started on 1/10 and shown in photo:

Pinocchio Orange
Vilma
Jochalos

Later will be sowing the following; a few indeterminates for us* as well as a row of cherry tomatoes to be picked and taken to a local food pantry, some others for neighbors to plant, and a few new determinates for family to try in their mini-garden:

Blackberry*
Black Star* - maybe
Blue Tears
Candyland Red F1
Cherokee Purple* - back after 10 years or so
Daniel Burson
Daniels
Elfin
Esterina F1
Heidi*
Indian Stripe
Indian Zebra* - maybe
Indigo Cherry Drops
Maw Maw's Treat
Not Purple Strawberry* - maybe
Plum Crimson
Rutgers 250
Sprite
Sungold F1

Have managed to keep the numbers down but got carried away with seed catalog temptations for sure this winter...not just tomatoes, either!

Wishing everyone lots of fun in planning, sowing, planting, tending, harvesting, tasting, etc. this season!

kath
Attached Images
File Type: jpg micros.jpg (80.7 KB, 207 views)
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25, 2018   #18
BlackBear
Tomatovillian™
 
BlackBear's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Nanaimo , BC
Posts: 942
Default

Nice selection ! ......

everybody seems to be able to keep the Tom variety numbers in check

and mostly stay away from seed catalog temptations ....

But it sure can be tough some times ....to keep all in moderation ...LOL






Quote:
Originally Posted by kath View Post
Started on 1/10 and shown in photo:

Pinocchio Orange
Vilma
Jochalos

Later will be sowing the following; a few indeterminates for us* as well as a row of cherry tomatoes to be picked and taken to a local food pantry, some others for neighbors to plant, and a few new determinates for family to try in their mini-garden:

Blackberry*
Black Star* - maybe
Blue Tears
Candyland Red F1
Cherokee Purple* - back after 10 years or so
Daniel Burson
Daniels
Elfin
Esterina F1
Heidi*
Indian Stripe
Indian Zebra* - maybe
Indigo Cherry Drops
Maw Maw's Treat
Not Purple Strawberry* - maybe
Plum Crimson
Rutgers 250
Sprite
Sungold F1

Have managed to keep the numbers down but got carried away with seed catalog temptations for sure this winter...not just tomatoes, either!

Wishing everyone lots of fun in planning, sowing, planting, tending, harvesting, tasting, etc. this season!

kath
__________________
So Many Tomatoes ...So Little Time !
BlackBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25, 2018   #19
rhines81
Tomatovillian™
 
rhines81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Zone 5A, Poconos
Posts: 864
Default

I am going very stingy with tomatoes this year and limiting myself to only 10 plants only, normally 20-30. I am doing this so that I can grow more pepper varieties (listed in the Pepper forum) and other things in my garden. Tomato list is as follows:

Arkansas Traveler (1)
Cosmonaut Volkov (1)
Omar's Lebanese (1)
Organic Roma (2)
Paul Robeson (4)
Supersweet 100 (1)
rhines81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25, 2018   #20
george k
Tomatovillian™
 
george k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Frankfort, IL Zone 5a
Posts: 34
Default 2018 Grow List

My tentative list. Any thoughts or suggestions appreciated! I like to have a wide variety. I Have room for 20:


Virginia Sweets
Ananas Noire
Sart Roloise

Russian Persimmon

Mat-Su Express
Prue
Chapman

Barlow Jap
Raspberry Supreme
Momotaro
Earl's Faux
Rebel Yell
Kosovo
Missouri Pink love Apple
Lithuanian

Black From Tula
Noire Charbonneuse
Bear Creek

Sungold
Lucky Tiger
george k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25, 2018   #21
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Omaha Zone 5
Posts: 1,997
Default

I've been keeping busy experimenting with greens so far. Not up to tomato or pepper lists yet, but enjoying reading what direction everyone is thinking they want to try this year.

Kath, those micros are beautiful. May I ask your seed source? I used up the micros I have (mostly dans) , and my coir pellet must be holding something back. I cheated and used scraps instead of going the "good stuff" route for so few plants. You did the right thing starting them happy from the beginning.

Keep us posted on their progress.
- Lisa


Quote:
Originally Posted by kath View Post
Started on 1/10 and shown in photo:

Pinocchio Orange
Vilma
Jochalos

Later will be sowing the following; a few indeterminates for us* as well as a row of cherry tomatoes to be picked and taken to a local food pantry, some others for neighbors to plant, and a few new determinates for family to try in their mini-garden:

Blackberry*
Black Star* - maybe
Blue Tears
Candyland Red F1
Cherokee Purple* - back after 10 years or so
Daniel Burson
Daniels
Elfin
Esterina F1
Heidi*
Indian Stripe
Indian Zebra* - maybe
Indigo Cherry Drops
Maw Maw's Treat
Not Purple Strawberry* - maybe
Plum Crimson
Rutgers 250
Sprite
Sungold F1

Have managed to keep the numbers down but got carried away with seed catalog temptations for sure this winter...not just tomatoes, either!

Wishing everyone lots of fun in planning, sowing, planting, tending, harvesting, tasting, etc. this season!

kath
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25, 2018   #22
carolyn137
Tomatoville® Moderator
 
carolyn137's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Upstate NY, zone 4b/5a
Posts: 21,111
Default

[QUOTE=george k;679741]My tentative list. Any thoughts or suggestions appreciated! I like to have a wide variety. I Have room for 20:

If it was me, I'd grow the following which I've marked with a star


*Virginia Sweets
*Ananas Noire
Sart Roloise

Russian Persimmon

Mat-Su Express
*Prue
*Chapman

Barlow Jap
Raspberry Supreme
*Momotaro
*Earl's Faux
*Rebel Yell
*Kosovo
*Missouri Pink love Apple
*Lithuanian

*Black From Tula
*Noire Charbonneuse
*Bear Creek

*Sungold
Lucky Tiger

That's I think 14, best I can do for the 20 you have room for.

Carolyn
__________________
Carolyn
carolyn137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25, 2018   #23
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™
 
jmsieglaff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Southern WI
Posts: 2,526
Default

While I won't post my entire grow list (not that it's very long) since I've posted it elsewhere.

I'll post the ones that will be new to my garden in 2018, some of which are very highly regarded tomatoes and maybe wondering how I've gone so long without trying some of these.

Magila Rosa (trying this instead of Blush this year)
Brandywine Sudduth's (supposed to be one of the best)
Brandywine Cowlick's (curious to how these two compare, side by side)
Orange Russian 117 (first heart, my son picked it out because he thought the shape and color looked really neat)
KARMA Pink (really excited to try this one)
Matina (gets lots of love, plus early and expecting to keep going hard to frost)
Noire de Crimee (had off type last year, excited to try this next to Black Krim)
Malachite Box (not having grown many GWR, but love the ones I have)
Crnkovic Yugoslavian X Jaune Flammee F1 (F1 will be fun, but really can't wait for F2)
jmsieglaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25, 2018   #24
george k
Tomatovillian™
 
george k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Frankfort, IL Zone 5a
Posts: 34
Default

Thanks Carolyn, that’s encouraging!
george k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26, 2018   #25
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: MA/NH Border
Posts: 4,652
Default

Not quite ready yet... might be a while before the MMMM package arrives and until I've received and triaged it, my grow list won't be done.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26, 2018   #26
kath
Tomatovillian™
 
kath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: zone 6b, PA
Posts: 5,554
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenthumbomaha View Post
Kath, those micros are beautiful. May I ask your seed source?
Keep us posted on their progress.
- Lisa
Thanks, Lisa! This is my 1st experience with micros- I kept the # to just 3 to see how they work for me. Started too late this year to do anything but trial for taste but if I grow them again next season, I would time them to produce fruits for winter salads.

https://heritageseedmarket.com/index...warf-tomatoes/

kath
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26, 2018   #27
kath
Tomatovillian™
 
kath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: zone 6b, PA
Posts: 5,554
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBear View Post
Nice selection ! ......

everybody seems to be able to keep the Tom variety numbers in check

and mostly stay away from seed catalog temptations ....

But it sure can be tough some times ....to keep all in moderation ...LOL
Thanks, BlackBear! It took me many years and hundreds of varieties before I was able to keep the numbers 'in check' and since my 2018 number will likely be twice that of 2017, it does look as though I'm headed in the 'wrong' direction again!

kath
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26, 2018   #28
BlackBear
Tomatovillian™
 
BlackBear's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Nanaimo , BC
Posts: 942
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kath View Post
Thanks, BlackBear! It took me many years and hundreds of varieties before I was able to keep the numbers 'in check' and since my 2018 number will likely be twice that of 2017, it does look as though I'm headed in the 'wrong' direction again!

kath
I Forsee that I will have to get the number of Tom varieties down to around 40 Max. in future .and leave the allocation for "new explorations " trials to about 10 varieties or less per year(out of the 40 max). I just can't do that ...this year ...LOL.

I sure have enjoyed exploring new varieties . There always seem to be a reason to try a new one . LOL

Minis
dwarf project releases
Long keepers
Multiflora
Ornamental
earliness
cool climate .. etc. etc.
__________________
So Many Tomatoes ...So Little Time !
BlackBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26, 2018   #29
JosephineRose
Tomatovillian™
 
JosephineRose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: California
Posts: 306
Default

My tentative list:

In Earthboxes:
Daniels
Not Brandywine Heart
Granadero (two plants)
Neves Azorean Red
DLH
Pruden's Purple
Karma Pink
Brutus
Mennonite Orange
KBX
Kelloggs Breakfast
GGWT
Black Krim
BKX
Paul Robeson
JD's Special C Tex
Daniel Burson
Vorlon
Cherokee Purple
Margaret Curtain

In Gardener's Grow Bags (roughly 12G):
Orange Jazz
Sungold
Casey’s Yellow
Sugary Yellow
Black Cherry
Japanese Black Trifele
Rainbow Jazz Heart
Madera F1

In 10G Smart Pots:
New Big Dwarf
EM Champion
Dw Purple Heart
Tastywine
Cherokee Tiger
Rosella Purple
Loxton Lad

I've had bad luck with Dwarf plants dying off quickly and being loaded with disease or vulnerable to russet mite attack, while the other plants survive. So this year I am relegating them to Smart Pots.
JosephineRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26, 2018   #30
kath
Tomatovillian™
 
kath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: zone 6b, PA
Posts: 5,554
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBear View Post
I Forsee that I will have to get the number of Tom varieties down to around 40 Max. in future .and leave the allocation for "new explorations " trials to about 10 varieties or less per year(out of the 40 max). I just can't do that ...this year ...LOL.

I sure have enjoyed exploring new varieties . There always seem to be a reason to try a new one . LOL

Minis
dwarf project releases
Long keepers
Multiflora
Ornamental
earliness
cool climate .. etc. etc.
Well, then, you aren't that far from your goal! It's just too soon for you. I agree that there always seems to be a reason to try new ones, especially if you hang around here or look at catalogs, paper or online!

kath
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:58 AM.


★ Tomatoville® is a registered trademark of Commerce Holdings, LLC ★ All Content ©2017 Commerce Holdings, LLC ★