Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discuss your tips, tricks and experiences growing and selling vegetables, fruits, flowers, plants and herbs.

Old July 20, 2011   #16
JackE
Tomatovillian™

I think Hoover Hogs are dying out around here, Worth. Come to think of it, I haven't seen one for a very long time - only ocasionally see a dead one on the highway now. I don't miss them any.

Did you ever throw one in the water? You can throw one out into a pond/lake as far as you can, wait a few minutes and it will come walking out right where you threw it from! They keep their sense of direction underwater. Wash your hands after touching one, though - they carry leprosy. You must have a garden full of grubs - that's all they eat.

Joint Snakes are dying-out too - never see them anymore either. Same with the henway.

Jack
JackE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20, 2011   #17
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I used to eat armadillos but now I just like to have them around, nothing bothers me anymore.
Except for coyotes I can stand the evil things, a work of the devil if I ever saw one.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20, 2011   #18
Jeannine Anne
Tomatovillian™

Who would toss a creature into the middle of a pond

XX Jeannine
Jeannine Anne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20, 2011   #19
JackE
Tomatovillian™

Any country boy. :-) I can tell you a lot worse than that. :-)

Jack
JackE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20, 2011   #20
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I'll let yall haggle over that.

I saw one run off a 20 foot bluff hit the water,sink and crawl out the other side of the creek.
Had 2 for pets, one would meet me at the school bus and it would eat out of my hand.
Raised him from a baby his name was Pinky.

worth
Old July 20, 2011   #21
Skaggydog
Tomatovillian™

What's a henway?
Skaggydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20, 2011   #22
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skaggydog View Post
What's a henway?
About 3 pounds.

Worth
Old July 20, 2011   #23
Mudman
Tomatovillian™

That was funny. And very old school.
Old December 18, 2011   #24
grannygreen
Tomatovillian™

Default so back to the little tiller

I have a little honda like the little mantis. So anybody had any experience with them not starting easily? When I first got mine in August a year ago it started with just 3-4 pulls. Now I might pull it 25-30 times before it starts. Once it has run it restarts easily. I'm not mechanical at all and was going to take it to where I bought it to see if it could be repaired, but maybe someone might have an idea of what I might be able to check myself? I've cleaned the air filter, and I always pump some gas in per instructions. It just uses gas, not a gas oil mix, but I always check the oil and it is never low. My DH just says thats the way they are.
Any ideas would be appreciated.
grannygreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18, 2011   #25
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I dont know what to say other than thats not the way they are.
All of my stuff even 15 year old stuff starts in a snap.
You may look at the spark plug.

Worth
Old December 19, 2011   #26
grannygreen
Tomatovillian™

Thank you Worth
That's kinda what I thought from other posts I had seen. I think I am going to take it into the shop. It has been very useful to me. I just can't manhandle a big tiller anymore. So I'll take it in now, hopefully they won't be real busy. No snow yet so they won't be working on snowblowers. Any hints for using or maintaining would be welcome.
Old December 19, 2011   #27
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I've never had a problem other than the priming bulb replacement every now and then. The only time my stuff is hard to start is when I forget to choke them. 2 pulls and it will fire go to half choke it starts then I let it warm up.
Old December 19, 2011   #28
grannygreen
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Worth,
I took it in today and they finished it this afternoon. They said the gas was bad and the tank a mess because of using gas with ethanol. I don't know if there is still any gas around here that does not have ethanol in it. But the repair guy said it had a lot to do with gas sitting in it too long. So I guess I have to figure out how long is too long. Anyway it starts at the first pull now. Oh, and they also cleaned the plug. I really like using it so I guess I will have to learn how to take proper care of it. I am fine with living things but don't get the machines too easily. It is encouraging to know that you have not had trouble with them. Which months are you in alaska and which in Texas? Or is it that obvious? I wouldn't mind wintering in Texas. Didn't mean to get so chatty. Thanks again for responding
Old December 19, 2011   #29
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

First, your welcome granny and wecome to T Ville. I work in alaska 2 weeks and then go home for 2 weeks. Back and forth all year long. I fly about 80,000 miles a year.
Old December 20, 2011   #30
easttx_hippie
Tomatovillian™

GrannyGreen, I've got a Mantis tiller that gets hard to start if I leave the gas in it for 4-5 weeks. After that, I'll need to flush out the gas tank and fuel line. I usually just pour some carb cleaner in the tank and give it a full pulls with the spark plug removed. A clean spark plug and fresh gas and it's ready to crank with just a couple of pulls.
easttx_hippie is offline   Reply With Quote