Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old June 5, 2007   #1
hunter
Tomatovillian™

Default Wilting Galinas

I've got a Galinas exhibiting a wilting that I can't figure out. Here's a pic:

Basically this plant wilts at the top for most of the day. It looks simply pathetic. It actually looks better than normal in this picture. In the morning it perks up and looks pretty good.

We recently had a few storms move through here, so I thought it just might be a severe case of environmental stress. I can't find any obvious damage to the plant.

Is there some disease that could cause this wilting scenario? I first noticed this plant's sad shape on Saturday. I went ahead and staked it to help remain more upright, but it still wilts by afternoon. All other plants are fine.

Thanks!
hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10, 2007   #2
Suze
Tomatovillian™

Chris, what was the outcome? So many things can cause a wilting plant...

Disease
lack of water
too much water
Something gnawing on or disturbing the roots
stem damage
Failure to harden off enough
Rapid temperature/uv index increase (I see this a fair amount here w/younger/late plantings when the 'furnace' kicks on - had it happen to some dwarf proj plants this year, they lived)
etc...
Suze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11, 2007   #3
hunter
Tomatovillian™

Suze,

Well, after a week or two of watching it wilting and bounce back, I finally pulled it and put a spare plants in its place. Unfortunately, I didn't have any more Galinas, but there's always next season!

When I pulled it I noticed a little hole drilled into the base of the plant. The inside of the stem was pretty much hollowed out. Very bizarre.
hunter is offline   Reply With Quote