Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old June 7, 2012   #1
odica1213
Tomatovillian™

Default Grafting

Any one cross graft plants here??? I am trying tomatoes grafted to peppers and peppers grafted to tomatoes. Grafting is when you cut a two plants and place the two plants together at the cuts there isn't much information on grafting but if and when the plants heal and become one they exchange properties. Any information will be helpful.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2
odica1213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7, 2012   #2
rockhound
Tomatovillian™

Yes, it does sound like you need some useful information. You might not have a clear understanding of the first principles in grafting. If I may ask, what is your source of inspiration for the pepper/tomato grafting attempts?
rockhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7, 2012   #3
Growyourowngrub
Tomatovillian™

This is the weirdest thing I've heard of never heard of such a thing but very intreagued. I'll be reading on

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2
Growyourowngrub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7, 2012   #4
Doug9345
Tomatovillian™

I was reading earlier this week about an attempt to graph tomatoes onto jimsonweed. The problem they had was that some of the toxins from the jimsonweed started showing up in the tomatoes

From this website: skagit.wsu.edu/mg/2011AA/032511.pdf

Quote:
At the same time vegetable grafting began in the U.S. Johnson said, “In the 1920s, extension
agents in the southeastern U.S. experimented with grafting tomatoes and peppers onto weeds in
the nightshade family, such as Jimsonweed. Jimsonweed is poisonous, and grafting was
abandoned when researchers found toxic alkaloid accumulation in the tomato fruit of tomato
plants grafted onto Jimsonweed rootstock. Tomato and eggplant grafting began to be used in
commercial production in the 1950s in Asia, and now accounts for 80-90% of tomato and
eggplant production in Asia. Commercial production has spread to central Asia and
the Mediterranean region.”
I wonder if a tomato on a pepper would be more drought resistant. I'd think the plant would be much smaller than a regular tomato.
Doug9345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7, 2012   #5
bitterwort
Tomatovillian™

I've grafted eggplant onto a tomato rootstock. I'm pretty sure that in some climates, people graft tomatoes and peppers onto eggplant rootstocks because the eggplant is supposedly more tolerant of flooding. I suggest you start by looking at the instructional videos available on the Johnny's Selected Seed site and then look around from there. Have fun!
Old June 7, 2012   #6
odica1213
Tomatovillian™

Well inspiration um to see if I can do it for one and hardyness can be effected by this so that is one thing many would try this for. Also come on combination of two plants is awesome lol. Besides that I would just like to experience this for myself as I had not known this technique was real until I seen some one graft a tomato plant to a potato plant I wish I could have the plant for my self.

Old June 8, 2012   #7
dice
Tomatovillian™

Tomato onto eggplant roots is common in Asia to resist
flooding and bacterial wilt. The roots can stay under water
for a week in the rainy season without killing the plant.

Last edited by dice; June 8, 2012 at 03:03 AM. Reason: long line
dice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8, 2012   #8
Tapout
Tomatovillian™

Default Grafting Vid

Grafting video for your pleasure.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=tHnOYcI6B44

Last edited by Tapout; June 8, 2012 at 03:20 AM. Reason: edited because it didn't turn out right
Tapout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8, 2012   #9
odica1213
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapout View Post
I have already watched this video lol but thanks is always good to watch a few times. There are not to many videos on grafting. I think it should be looked into more. I was thinking if you graft a tomato plant to a pepper plant with success and it heals fine could you graft a little lower like taking the alredy grafted plant and graft it to a third plant say back on to another kind of tomato and have a out come of properties from all three plants.

Old June 8, 2012   #10
Tapout
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by odica1213 View Post
I have already watched this video lol but thanks is always good to watch a few times. There are not to many videos on grafting. I think it should be looked into more. I was thinking if you graft a tomato plant to a pepper plant with success and it heals fine could you graft a little lower like taking the alredy grafted plant and graft it to a third plant say back on to another kind of tomato and have a out come of properties from all three plants.

I am trying to understand your comment. The top graft would be the tomato the bottom graft would be the pepper root system? and then you want to graft lower then the root system of the pepper?

The only thing I could imagine would happen from the two plant graft is that you could end up with two different root systems if the plant was buried deep enough up the top tomato stem graft.

A three plant graft would be some kind of root and two main stem graft for pollination?
Tapout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8, 2012   #11
Doug9345
Tomatovillian™

What you are proposing is done commonly in apples. It's called interstem grafting. That will give you something to put into a search engine. This link discusses the reasons a little.
http://www.homeorchardsociety.org/fo...php?f=1&t=1198

Last edited by Doug9345; June 8, 2012 at 12:41 PM.
Doug9345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8, 2012   #12
Mudman
Tomatovillian™

I've just gotten done grafting 3 different varieties to one rootstock.
Two of the grafts are fully healed and I am not sure about the other. Just for fun.
Old July 2, 2012   #13
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

I'm going to try it next year. From what I read, you can make an heirloom tomato produce like a hybrid through grafting. The root stocks I want to try are the old Black Beauty eggplant and also wild tobacco.

It's too bad you can't use jimson weed as root stock. Kids occasionally die from eating jimson weed to get high, without realizing that they are going into delirium for days. Here are some stories of what it does to people who eat it: http://www.erowid.org/experiences/subs/exp_Datura.shtml
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4, 2012   #14
Baizanator
Tomatovillian™

Bought my rootstock seeds last week and they arrived today. Going to be starting them in four weeks in the greenhouse and then moving them to another greenhouse down the road. Looking at them being about 16 weeks old when I set them out.

Using RST-04-105-T F1 which has resistance to TMV, Corky Root, FW (1,2), V, Root-knot Nematode and Bacterial wilt. Intermediate resistance to Southern Blight. North Carolina State University shows that this one has the broadest resistance range among commercial rootstocks. I also have some Maxifort that I am also going to use.
Baizanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30, 2012   #15
CapnChkn
Tomatovillian™

Here's a video of the graft the OP is asking about, a Tomato on a Pimento, I'm guessing, pepper. My Español es no bueno.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqLa6...feature=fvwrel
CapnChkn is offline   Reply With Quote