Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating melons, cucumbers, squash, pumpkins and gourds.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old June 7, 2017   #1
shule1

Default Watermelon crosses

It loos like the gene for stars is dominant in the Moon and Stars watermelon. I grew it and several varieties last year (and saved seeds, which I planted this year). I see stars on a Fairfax watermelon plant's leaves, and also on a Wondermelon's (as well as, of course, on the Moon and Stars'). The Fairfax was potentially already crossed with something else from a previous year. So, I'm pretty excited to see what the hybrids are like:

* (Fairfax x ?) F2|Fairfax x Moon and Stars F1
* Wondermelon x Moon and Stars F1

There may be more varieties crossed with Moon and Stars, but some still need to grow big enough leaves to tell.

The first picture is Moon and Stars; the stars are there, but the picture didn't get them for some odd reason. The second picture is Fairfax, and the third is Wondermelon. It's bright outside; so, I can't see my screen very well; hence why I cut off a starred leaf on the last picture, and I didn't get the stars in the first.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20170607_175736.jpg (291.3 KB, 108 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20170607_175823.jpg (245.9 KB, 108 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20170607_175848.jpg (227.1 KB, 107 views)

Last edited by shule1; June 7, 2017 at 08:07 PM.

Tags
crosses , genes , watermelon