Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating all other edible garden plants.

Old December 1, 2016   #1
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Default Coronado Crown broccoli?

This past summer when I was shopping for seed for my fall garden I was surprised that I couldn't find Coronado Crown broccoli and from what I could see it seems it was discontinued. Why in the world would someone discontinue a plant variety that was so good. It was the best holding in the field broccoli that I have ever grown and had the tightest heads with the smallest beads. It also produced massive heads and very big and abundant side shoots. The only negative I ever saw was that it was a little later than most other broccoli I have grown. It was as near a perfect variety as I have ever found and it was going to be my main crop but alas it doesn't appear to be readily available. I am using Gypsy as a replacement and I like it fine but it is not nearly as good to me.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3, 2016   #2
guruofgardens
Tomatovillian™

Bill, you're not the only one disappointed with the Coronado Crown being removed from our grasp. It was my favorite and when I ordered it from Vermont Bean, they sent Belstar without telling me why. Belstar was OK, but later and smaller.

This year I hope to try Green Magic and maybe Imperial and hopefully Green Goliath.

If anyone ever finds a reason why Coronado Crown has been removed, please let Bill and other broccoli lovers know. We're not happy campers.
guruofgardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3, 2016   #3
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

I'm growing some of Bonnies Lieutenant Broccoli right now and they did well for a fall crop, they have big heads with few sideshoots. I just cut the 1st head and it had good flavor. I hear good things about Arcadia and may try some in Spring. They're supposed to put out many nice sized sideshoots.

Rajun Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5, 2016   #4
b54red
Tomatovillian™

I hate to tell you this because it sounds like I am bragging but the main head you are showing looks like the first two side shoots from Coronado Crown when grown in the spring. Some of my main heads would barely squeeze into a five gallon bucket they were so big. The biggest drawback to CC was that it was about two weeks later than some others but well worth the wait. It also held up better in the heat and held longer in the field so missing cutting it by a day or so didn't matter.

I fear we will not see it again. It probably wasn't as commercially viable because of the large heads. I think commercial growers and grocers like very cookie cutter fruits of all kinds and I think CC got cut because of that bias.

Bill
Old December 5, 2016   #5
TC_Manhattan
Tomatovillian™

Google "Coronado Crown Broccoli Seeds."
One of the first hits is Seminis website. They have a search box to enter your zipcode, and will list vendors who sell it, and their address & contact info.
Must still be available.

(Sent from my mobile, so I couldn't include the link here.)

Good luck!
TC_Manhattan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5, 2016   #6
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

I called Kelly Seed in Hartford AL and he said it was replaced with Castle Dome and BC 1691. I found Goliath to be the biggest head at 10-12", not sure if Green Goliath is the same. Here's some trial results from 2014 to compare.

https://ag.purdue.edu/hla/fruitveg/M...t_Broccoli.pdf
Old December 5, 2016   #7
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

As a market gardener I was very disappointed that Packman was discontinued 2 years ago. While not the best variety, it was super early and had plenty of side shoots and was heat tolerant.

This year we tried Blue Wind as a replacement. Not good at all. It's a disease magnet that then spread disease to all my other cole crops.

Artwork was a keeper of our new varieties. Not a very large main head, but it really pumps out the side shoots.

We have been growing Arcadia for many years and it's a decent variety, tho better in fall than spring. One issue with Arcadia tho is you need good boron or you will get weird uneven heads. Of the 3 varieties we generally grow, Packman was the most tolerant of low boron, Gyspy needs moderate boron and Arcadia needs high boron for good heads.

Carol
Wi-sunflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5, 2016   #8
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

I'm wondering if it's a good idea to add a pinch of boron to soil where I grow broccoli and cabbage.
This is my first year trying these crops.
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5, 2016   #9
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

That's some good reviews, Thanks for bringing up the boron requirement. I haven't grown enough brassicas to research the needs of the plants. Now I have something to do for a spring crop. Maybe if I fertilized my rows the broccoli would be bigger, I just used some triple 13 and sulphur to lower the PH because I'm at 7.5.

I know a few other people are complaining about not having Pacman but Park Seed claims Castle Dome is an improved Pacman. Here's the write up, I noticed broccoli is like the secret plumber mafia. You have to hunt for answers and the different varieties.
Castle Dome Hybrid Broccoli Seeds
Replaces (and improves!) the Classic Packman!
http://parkseed.com/castle-dome-hybr...p/52507-PK-P1/
Old December 6, 2016   #10
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

Almost all soils east of the Rockies are deficient in Boron. Without it broccoli and cauliflower will get hollow stem to some degree. If the insides of the hollow stem are tinged with a brown or rusty color, then you are very deficient. It also sets up crops for other diseases that they might have fought off if they were in better health.

DH is my fertilizer person and he's busy right now, but I got out of him that 14 lbs / ac of the 14% Boron products is what we put down every year. We get it at a local farm Co-op but you can use plain old Borax for smaller areas. Borax is in the 10-12 % range so you would need a bit more / ac.

Carol
Old December 26, 2016   #11
b54red
Tomatovillian™

My fall/winter broccoli is just beginning to head. It has been 80 degrees the last two days so that isn't unexpected but it will cool down some later in the week.

I have had a problem with hollow stems sometimes with my broccoli and cauliflower and so I guess I need a bit more boron but I don't know quite how to apply it to my existing plants. They are in raised beds and I was wondering if just putting some 20 mule team in a hose end sprayer would work? Maybe with my regular liquid fertilizer or with a bit of dish-washing soap. My garden is all raised beds 4 ft wide.

Bill
Old December 26, 2016   #12
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

No help here but I wanted to add I hate when good varieties get discontinued for a supposedly "better" version. I dont get why this happens so much. Wouldn't it make sense to trial a new variety for a couple of years before deciding to just eliminate a variety known to perform? Anyway just venting.
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27, 2016   #13
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

Ray adds the dry granular boron to our fertilizer when he spreads it pre-plant. But we often have to go back with more if we see the crop performing poorly. Then he mixes it in with the BT when he sprays. You could also just sprinkle a bit around as a "sidedress".

But don't go overboard with it. A little is good. More is not better. In concentration Boron is used as a pre emerge herbicide. Only beets are immune in part because they need a lot of boron to grow well.

Carol
Old December 27, 2016   #14
guruofgardens
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by b54red View Post
I hate to tell you this because it sounds like I am bragging but the main head you are showing looks like the first two side shoots from Coronado Crown when grown in the spring. Some of my main heads would barely squeeze into a five gallon bucket they were so big. The biggest drawback to CC was that it was about two weeks later than some others but well worth the wait. It also held up better in the heat and held longer in the field so missing cutting it by a day or so didn't matter.

I fear we will not see it again. It probably wasn't as commercially viable because of the large heads. I think commercial growers and grocers like very cookie cutter fruits of all kinds and I think CC got cut because of that bias.

Bill
As I was purging old seeds yesterday, I found a 2015 package of Coronado Crown broccoli! Lucky me for ordering 2 packs.

If anyone would like to grow these out to seed, since they're a hybrid, you may never know what you'll get the next year. You'd have to have a much longer growing season than I have. The stipulation for my sending a few seeds would be to share them with everyone, especially me!

It might be a winner, might not.
guruofgardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13, 2017   #15
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Well despite my best efforts most of my winter broccoli is not going to be very successful due to the unusually cold nights we had three days in a row with a fierce north wind. I had all my plants protected by a tightly sealed hoop covering the beds but despite that most of my broccoli, lettuce, cauliflower and a few of my cabbages got badly damaged. I guess I better start some more seed for spring if it isn't too late.

All my mustard, turnips and rutabagas that were uncovered looked like someone had poured boiling water on them. I have already tilled them under. They usually survive with only a bit of leaf burn but I guess the hard north winds just freeze dried them.

Bill