Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating all other edible garden plants.

Old July 18, 2009   #1
patty_b
Tomatovillian™

Default puzzled how to use black palm tree cabbage

Seeds from Baker Creek, but wondering how you use loose leaf
cabbages?? I may have waited too long before using and it might
be strong??
Nero Di Toscana or Black Palm Tree Cabbage....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg nero di toscana black palm 002.jpgx.jpg (362.3 KB, 18 views)
patty_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18, 2009   #2
bcday
Tomatovillian™

Most seed companies market this plant as a type of kale rather than a cabbage. It's a.k.a. Cavalo Nero, Black Kale, Tuscan Kale, Lacinato Kale, or Dinosaur Kale. They say you can put young leaves in salads and use the rest like ordinary kale, even leaving it in the garden until after a frost to give it better flavor.
bcday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19, 2009   #3
habitat_gardener
Tomatovillian™

That's a new one! I'd heard all the other names, but had never heard it called "black palm tree cabbage"!

I love all kinds of kale and grow several kinds, and I've never found a kale I didn't like. I prefer the name dinosaur kale. I know they're annuals, but I let them go for 3 years or so. They develop thick stems and multiple branches, and the leaves get smaller (better for salads and for adding to soup by the handful). I love eating the flower buds (looks like a more delicate broccolini), and the last time before it flowered I picked something like 50 of them one day, from one plant. I let it go to flower and reseed.

Dinosaur kale has a really silky texture when it's cooked, and it has a superb flavor year-round for me. Aside from nibbling on it in the garden or in salads, or dropping it into soups at the last minute, I have 2 favorite ways to prepare it.

One, I boil water and blanch it, which means drop it into the boiling water for 30 seconds or so. It just needs to wilt and subtly change color. Then I eat it as is, and make enough for a couple days, because I love to eat it cold, too. If you like, you can add lemon juice or peanut sauce or whatever dressing or sauce you like. (added: I do this only if I'm going to use the cooking liquid, usually for lentil soup.)

Two, I stir-fry it. I don't use oil, so my cooking sauce is peanut butter, balsamic vinegar, agave syrup, and sometimes tamari (my version of the basic cooking sauce: a fat, an acid, a sugar, and a salt). I also add a bit of water. I heat the pan, add the sauce and kale, and stir constantly until it wilts -- takes less than a minute. If your kale is older or tougher, or you like it more cooked, you could add a bit of water, put the lid on the pot, and let it steam for a minute.

Oh, and if the leaves are large, often I take out the midrib (by holding the stem and and running my fingers toward the tip) and then slice thinly (I pile up the leaves on the cutting board and slice the whole thing at once), which makes it easier to eat and to add to salads, sandwiches, or whatever. If the flavor is strong, just add more seasonings to your taste. Red peppers are stunning mixed with dark-green kales, and they taste great together.

Did I say I love kale? I eat huge mounds of it. It's one of the most nutrient-dense foods, and I think one of the best-tasting.
habitat_gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19, 2009   #4
bitterwort
Tomatovillian™

Yours looks fine, Patty, and is likely not to taste too strong even at that size. We use it to make colcannon. Cut a bunch of the kale leaves, wash them and remove the midrib. Steam them until tender; cool slightly and chop coarsely. Add to hot mashed potatoes (preferably made with a flavorful yellow potato, such as Yukon Gold) in about a 50:50 mix. Season well with black pepper and salt to taste. Enjoy!
Old July 19, 2009   #5
montanamato
Tomatovillian™

I use it in everything....Very good in rice dishes and pasta...It well stay good in the fridge for quite a long time...It is the least hardy of the kale I grow and the slowest growing, but the best for flavor in my opinion...

Jeanne
montanamato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11, 2010   #6
cortona
Tomatovillian™

hi all, living in tuscany and being this kale growed by my family for generetion i whish to ad a part of the puzzle, if you want the best from this kale you need to cut the vegetative point of the plant to promote axillary bud, the little sprouts are more tender tan the big old leaves and wen you pick the first ones more continue to come, if it are byted by frost surely the flawor was enanced!
if somebody want some seeds i have plenty !
best wishes
Emanuele
from "under the tuscan sun"
cortona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11, 2010   #7
SunnyK
Tomatovillian™

I love kale....but haven't grown it in years as the last time I got loads of aphids and earwigs who seem to love it as well haha. I am drooling over all of those cooking suggestions though and may have to give it another try.

SunnyK
Donna
SunnyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12, 2010   #8
habitat_gardener
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyK View Post
I love kale....but haven't grown it in years as the last time I got loads of aphids and earwigs who seem to love it as well haha. I am drooling over all of those cooking suggestions though and may have to give it another try.
Donna, When I've planted a bunch of kale or broccoli plants, I've noticed that aphids are often concentrated on one plant. A couple other local gardeners have observed this, too. So if it's early in the season, I let the aphids have one sacrificial plant, so that when the predators (lady beetles, lacewings, etc.) come they'll stick around. One year the flush of aphids came when the purple sprouting broccoli buds were starting to form, though, and they all clustered on those.

I also grow herbs and native plants so that I can have something in bloom year-round to support and attract populations of predators. I know this isn't possible in colder climates, but if you can get some tiny-flowered, early-blooming native wildflowers, chances are they will attract some predatory insects. I grow yarrow, gilia, clarkias, native asters, and Calif. poppies.

You might also try some of the less crinkly kales. Red Russian, Russian White, Siberian, Red Ursa, etc.. are flatter with lacy edges, and at least if they get aphids, they're easier to wash off.
habitat_gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12, 2010   #9
SunnyK
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the tips and that information about the aphids clustering to one plant
I do grow some Connecticut asters, but they are a late bloomer...however, you mention Yarrow, and that is a wonderful coincidence as I have several varieties that I am trying to sprout from seed using the Wintersown method. With any luck I will get a few to do their thing and will put one or two near my vegetables.
And I will definitely try a flat leaf type, I have always grown the curly type and it never occured to me to check for other types. This makes me so happy because even my kids love kale, and it is hard to find really good vegetables that they love

Thanks
SunnyK
Donna
SunnyK is offline   Reply With Quote