Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old February 17, 2006   #1
angelique
Tomatovillian™

Default Is it too late for me to purchase and start pepper seeds?

Is it too late for me to purchase (online) and start sweet pepper seeds? Jimmy Nardello pepper has really sparked my interest. I am in Roseville, CA Z9, a Sacramento suburb (average last frost date is 3/15). Before I make an online order, I am going to check with a few of my local nurseries. There are a lot of nurseries in the area.

Thanks for your help.

Angelique
angelique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17, 2006   #2
montanamato
Tomatovillian™

Angelique,
My stepmom lives outside Sacramento and I "believe" she purchased Jimmy Nardello plants so I will try and find out where. I think she gets alot of her plants from Berkeley (go figure) though.
I only had 5 seeds left and planted them all (plus they are 3 or 4 yrs old), or I would send some to you.
I will bet you can find plants though.

Jeanne
montanamato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17, 2006   #3
angelique
Tomatovillian™

Hi Jeanne,

Thank you. There are several nurseries within the Sacramento area. For veggies, I normally stick to the following mostly out of habit and closeness:

Sierra Rock and Garden: Closest to me. A good selection of vegetable and very nice/knowledgeable staff. They also sell bulk rocks, roses, ground cover (walk-on bark, etc) and soil (topsoil, compost, etc).

Capital Nursery: bigger selection, lower prices. Staff not as knowledgeable as Sierra Rock and Garden.

Eisley Nursery in Auburn: Nice selection (a little more than Sierra Rock and Garden)/different varieties, very knoweledgeable staff. Good prices/big variety of fruit trees/berries, garlic, potatos and bulb flowers.

Bushnells: Mostly flowers, roses, trees and pottery. I really like this nursery. Unfortunately for them, most of my gardening efforts have been focused on veggy gardening.

Other backups (less frequented)

Windmill Nursery. Nice variety of rare herbs. Mostly flowers sold here.

Redwood Barn Nursery in Davis. Quite small nursery with unique varieties. I don't frequent this one as much because, I don't go to Davis very often.

Morningsun Herb Farm in Vacaville: Lovely nursery with less common varieties of tomatoes and herbs. They hold a tomato tasting event each year that is absolutely great.

Other honorable mentions: Matsuda (bonsai nursery) and Lake Nursery (almost exclusively Japanese Maples).

If you can find out which nursery sells Jimmy Nardello, please do. I am always open to checking out new nurseries.

Thanks again.

Angelique
Old February 18, 2006   #4
landarc
Tomatovillian™

Angelique,

As is often the case, and is again this year, I am too unorganized to start my seeds early, or on time for that matter. Last year I tried using a ziploc bag with a wet paper towel and the seeds on top. sealed the bag, placed in a sunnyish window and was able to get about a dozen chili plants, all produced harvests. I am in the East Bay, so I would think up your way would would also.

I think I saw Jimmy Nardello last year at the Berkeley Horticultural Nursery, they usually have a pretty good selection of plants (tomato, chili, eggplant and veggies)

Bob
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20, 2006   #5
angelique
Tomatovillian™

Hi Bob,

Thanks for the info. I'll try to make my way into Berkeley late next month or early April to check out that nursery. When I go into the city, I usually try to make a day of it. DH and I usually go to Ikea, Sur La Table, and a couple of other stores. Then it is off to watch a movie or to the wharf.

Cheers,

Angelique
Old February 25, 2006   #6
kristy
Tomatovillian™

It's not too late to grow your own, Angelique. I've been busy (my MIL is visiting from Chile right now) and I haven't started a single seed yet. I'm not too worried... as long as plants are in the ground by the end of May we're good, and pepper plants are ready about 8-10 weeks from seeding. I usually want my pepper seeds in pots by 2/1 (two weeks before the tomatoes), but any time before 3/15 or so is acceptable.

The West Sacramento Ikea is opening next week! Woohoo!

-Kristy
kristy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25, 2006   #7
Plantersville
Tomatovillian™

Angelique
Its never too late to start peppers! Last year I bought 5 diffferent peppers at a local nursery and planted them and I had peppers all fall. I dug them up in November and put them in pots, trimmed them back and they are all sitting in my den by the window just waiting to be replanted.
Good Luck!
Chuck B
Plantersville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27, 2006   #8
angelique
Tomatovillian™

Hi All,

I found Jimmy Nardello Pepper Plants at Whole Foods in Sacto. Yippee.

Cheers,

Angelique