Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old March 29, 2016   #31
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

After researching plant sizes a heights, it works out better to plant two rows of peppers out in the main garden. All of these peppers get at least 3 feet tall. That changes how many peppers go into two raised beds instead of 3 raised beds.

I am planting at 16"x16" instead of 13x13. I'm planting the shortest peppers in the front of the beds and taller ones in the back.

The extra raised bed will be used to plant some tomato plants that I was otherwise going to plant in our onion bed. (Which I really didn't want to do).

Planting two rows of peppers out in the main garden does mean losing one of the pole bean rows though. One 37' row of pole beans should be plenty for us anyway.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19, 2016   #32
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™

Saltie, I would stick with the wider spacing were I still growing in Georgia. But here in Texas the wind is a major consideration, pushing me toward closer spacing so that the young plants can support each other. Kinda depends on 1) whether you're going for max yield, 2) the varieties, 3) whether you can cage or stake, 4) whether the site is shielded from the worst of the wind.

Overall, I think your 16x16 spacing is a fair compromise. Good luck.

Stupidity got us into this mess. Why can't it get us out?
- Will Rogers

dmforcier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19, 2016   #33
sdambr
Tomatovillian™

Tobasco, hungarian wax, and bishops crown all grew very large for me. Maybe planting these together as to not completely cover the others. Many of the others are much shorter.

Looks great!

"There are only two ways to live your life: as though nothing is a miracle, or as though everything is a miracle."
Albert Einstein
sdambr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2016   #34
Compuaide
Tomatovillian™

Default Hate to ressurect an old thread but..

I ran across this a few months ago about pepper spacing. This is radical to what I have been doing all this time (12 " spacing) and thought I would give it a try with 6 of my pepperoncini plants in a corner of 1 of my raised beds.

We'll see what is up. And who would have thought that spreading out your thumb and pinky would be 9"?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hNWrF_01Dw
Compuaide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2016   #35
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Compuaide, old threads are only dormant for while. I've woken up some from 2006.

Sue and dmforcier, April 19th is my birthday. I didn't see your replies until now. That was right before spending time in the ICU and hospital for days.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote