Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating beans, peas, peanuts, clover and vetch.

Old May 24, 2007   #76
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

Adenn1, you are in for a treat with Amish Snap. I picked a big bowl of them today (first picking was much smaller) and ate some in the garden and cooked the rest tonight. The smaller ones are stringless and the larger ones are so sweet and good. Strings are easy to pull with the larger ones. I don't think you'll be disappointed.
Old May 26, 2007   #77
Miss_Mudcat
Tomatovillian™

I picked about 4# of bush snap peas, Sugar Ann, yesterday. I ate LOTS of them in the garden, sold some at Farmers' Market and packed some as a snack for our lunch today. They were certainly sweet fresh-picked, tho' they did lose some of that sweetness overnight.
Old May 27, 2007   #78
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

Well, it was harvest day for our Sugar Sprint snap peas - we ate them quickly sauteed in a little butter, salt and pepper. What a great vegetable! We use the Crockett Victory Garden method of planting - 6 inch plus wide row, about 10 feet long, thickly planted in that band - and use 3 foot tall sticks pushed in here and there for them to crawl up. The thick planting makes it very space efficient....now that we are hitting the 90s during the day I am sure that they won't last long. Still, we will enjoy each and every one! And, Sugar Sprint, while not quite as sweet as some we've tried, is a good variety.
Old May 29, 2007   #79
Adenn1
Tomatovillian™

I got home late last night from a five day trip out to see some relatives...had a good amount of flowers before I left on my snap and snow peas...so I hope to find a few peas today...I hope my neighbor watered...weather got hot while I was away. I would have gone out last night with a flashlight...but it was 1:00am...and I had to leave for work at 5...so needed some sleep.
Old May 29, 2007   #80
Miss_Mudcat
Tomatovillian™

Just returned from the garden.... harvested another 5# plus of Sugar Ann. My 4-y-o was helping out... crunching so loudly and smacking so that it was difficult to understand a word he said!

This has been the best year for peas out of the last three... don't know why, but I am delighted!
Old May 29, 2007   #81
Adenn1
Tomatovillian™

Well, I ate my first snap pea today...boy I have been missing the boat! What a wonderful tasting little item...only had a few ripe...but I ate them all. I had a few snow peas ready as well...a yellow snow pea I got from Baker Creek...can't think of it's name off hand...also very good. I took a couple of pictures that I will post soon.
Old June 7, 2007   #82
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

Picked the last of my peas and pulled out my vines today. They sure were good. I'll be growing Amish Snap again. It turned out they weren't any later than the bush types. We just needed a little warmer weather to get them going. They topped out at over six feet and once it warmed up, they grew quickly. I love that these took up so little space compared to the bush varieties. Wonderful peas, IMO.
Old June 7, 2007   #83
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

OK. Based on Feldon 30's success with Snow Peas, I went to the seed store and they have 2 rows: Oregon Sugar Pod; and Oregon Sugar Pod II. While the packages read exactly the same, one pack is $1.59, and the other is priced at $2.39. While I don't care about the price differential, I am confused as to which "version" I should plant. Do you folks have any insight as to the difference between the two?
rnewste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8, 2007   #84
Adenn1
Tomatovillian™

The snow peas and snap peas like my garden...and I love them!