Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for commercial seed, plant and garden supply sources.

Old February 24, 2013   #196
Heritage
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by baileyj View Post
My dwarf Sweet Sue seeds have just sprouted...planted on 2/16 and up on 2/21...
Good germination..so far 80% !!
So glad I got them when I did...
When I received the seeds from Ted I ran a germination test and had 17 of 18 seeds germinate. (also, the last seed germinated after 2 weeks) He has had a lot of experience saving seeds and does a great job!

Steve
Heritage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24, 2013   #197
Heritage
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simone View Post
I just started with my seeds from Steve two days ago, and with the Sweet Sue just yesterday.

I can hardly wait to try them all, but at the moment it is too cold here even to think of the summer. Had to push all the snow from my greenhouses today, again!

Simone
Simone,

Remember, those mites are freezing in that snow! They will pack their bags and move out soon.
Old February 25, 2013   #198
baileyj
Tomatovillian™

Steve,
The germination rate will probably be higher than 80% for me...that was with 10 seeds on day 5 so the other 2 seeds may be along any day ! I am just so thrilled to see them growing and can't wait to get going this spring !
Thanks,
Judi
baileyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25, 2013   #199
Simone
Tomatovillian™

Steve

i hope they all died.

As you can see, they loved the dwarfs...

I will kick them if they come back this year.

Simone
Simone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25, 2013   #200
afrance30
Tomatovillian™

I received my Sweet Sue seeds already! Wow that was fast!

Thanks for the Perth Pride seeds as freebies!
afrance30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26, 2013   #201
LDx4
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heritage View Post
A little story:
Two days ago two neighborhood kids came over and wanted to know if they could pick more of the "gold" (Sungold F1) tomatoes that I had let them pick earlier that week. I said "Sure, go ahead." I went back to work transplanting tomatoes and after awhile I turned around to see both of them holding a small piece of a yellow tomato. I suddenly realized they had picked and eaten my first two "Dwarf Sweet Sue" tomatoes that I had earmarked for seed production! All I could do was ask them how they tasted. They both said "very sweet"... so, I think you are getting a very good tomato!

Steve
Steve, do you heat your greenhouse? I seem to remember reading that you don't, and I know your night temps are cooler than mine since you're farther inland. How do you get good tomatoes so early in the year?? My tomatoes in my greenhouse (not one of the lathhouses) are pretty much tasteless and the plants were about done so I ended up pulling them out last week. I'm jealous!

Lyn
LDx4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26, 2013   #202
Heritage
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrance30 View Post
I received my Sweet Sue seeds already! Wow that was fast!

Thanks for the Perth Pride seeds as freebies!
Thank you! I hope the Dwarfs do well for you!

Steve
Old February 26, 2013   #203
Heritage
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDx4 View Post
Steve, do you heat your greenhouse? I seem to remember reading that you don't, and I know your night temps are cooler than mine since you're farther inland. How do you get good tomatoes so early in the year?? My tomatoes in my greenhouse (not one of the lathhouses) are pretty much tasteless and the plants were about done so I ended up pulling them out last week. I'm jealous!

Lyn
Lyn,

That's right, I don't heat my greenhouses.

Up until a few weeks ago I thought the main factor important for producing sweet tomatoes was having a night temp in the 60s. In past seasons, I've never had a greenhouse tomato worth eating until about July. So, I have always grown tomatoes in the winter for seed production only.

Two weeks ago I harvested about 10 Dester tomatoes for seed and I was amazed that they tasted fantastic! - as good any tomato I've grown in the summer. I harvested a few other varieties and they were also very tasty (Ironically, Sungold F1 was still very tart) My theory about night temp went out the window since these tomatoes all ripened with night temps in the low 40s.

I now think plant stress is a major factor in getting a flavorful tomato in the winter. I grow my greenhouse tomatoes in small pots (3 gal) and about this time of year I have cut way down on watering. Also, I have quit spraying for mold and mildew so most of the plants are looking pretty sad. I think it is either the stress of under watering or disease pressure that is responsible for the increase in flavor. Or, possibly, it is because no new fruit has set and all of the nutrition is going to the current set of trusses?

So, I have several answers, unfortunately maybe none are correct! Let me know when you figure it out

Steve
Old February 26, 2013   #204
Heritage
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by baileyj View Post
Steve,
The germination rate will probably be higher than 80% for me...that was with 10 seeds on day 5 so the other 2 seeds may be along any day ! I am just so thrilled to see them growing and can't wait to get going this spring !
Thanks,
Judi
Judi,
I just re-read my response to your first post and maybe it sounded like I was criticizing your germination percentage. I meant it to be in agreement with your high percentage by posting my own percecentage.
Thanks,
Steve
Old February 26, 2013   #205
baileyj
Tomatovillian™

Steve,
I did not take your comment negatively....I just thought maybe I was documenting the germination rate a bit early....sometimes there are a few stragglers that come up a bit later, that boost the rate.
I am so excited about growing the dwarfs and am learning so much following the TV site....
Judi
baileyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27, 2013   #206
novel grower
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Alfredo,

Thanks much, you ordered the last pack I'll mail those out tomorrow.

A little story:
Two days ago two neighborhood kids came over and wanted to know if they could pick more of the "gold" (Sungold F1) tomatoes that I had let them pick earlier that week. I said "Sure, go ahead." I went back to work transplanting tomatoes and after awhile I turned around to see both of them holding a small piece of a yellow tomato. I suddenly realized they had picked and eaten my first two "Dwarf Sweet Sue" tomatoes that I had earmarked for seed production! All I could do was ask them how they tasted. They both said "very sweet"... so, I think you are getting a very good tomato!

Steve
Oh boy I laughed and laughed just in sympathy for that feeling of realization of what had happened disbelief then acceptance better luck this year!
novel grower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7, 2013   #207
kath
Tomatovillian™

Default 100% Germination

Steve, I wanted to post a huge "THANK YOU" for your excellent seeds. Of the 5 packets that I bought this year, not only were they filled with about 1/3 again the number of seeds stated on the packets, but germination for all 5 varieties was 100% by between the fourth and sixth day after sowing! The germination of these seeds was so amazingly consistent and impressive that I wanted to acknowledge it publicly and wish you continued success with your business. Have a great season!

kath
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7, 2013   #208
Heritage
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by kath View Post
Steve, I wanted to post a huge "THANK YOU" for your excellent seeds. Of the 5 packets that I bought this year, not only were they filled with about 1/3 again the number of seeds stated on the packets, but germination for all 5 varieties was 100% by between the fourth and sixth day after sowing! The germination of these seeds was so amazingly consistent and impressive that I wanted to acknowledge it publicly and wish you continued success with your business. Have a great season!

kath
Kath,

Thanks, that's great to know!
It's funny, I was looking at my seedlings today (getting their first true leaves) and was thinking "I need to PM Kath and tell her all of the seeds she sent germinated @ 100%". With the great job you do taking photos and writing descriptions, you should go into the seed business!

Steve
Old March 8, 2013   #209
kath
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Kath,

... you should go into the seed business!

Steve
Good grief- no chance of that happening, but I'm happy to hear that you got good results from the seeds I sent.

kath
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14, 2013   #210
Alfredo
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Alfredo,

Thanks much, you ordered the last pack I'll mail those out tomorrow.

A little story:
Two days ago two neighborhood kids came over and wanted to know if they could pick more of the "gold" (Sungold F1) tomatoes that I had let them pick earlier that week. I said "Sure, go ahead." I went back to work transplanting tomatoes and after awhile I turned around to see both of them holding a small piece of a yellow tomato. I suddenly realized they had picked and eaten my first two "Dwarf Sweet Sue" tomatoes that I had earmarked for seed production! All I could do was ask them how they tasted. They both said "very sweet"... so, I think you are getting a very good tomato! Steve
Hello Steve,

Just letting you know I received today my order of seeds...even with the slight delay due to the post office's mistake, they still arrived ahead of time for me. Great Service! Thanks for the gifts included as well, very generous of you.

~Alfredo
Alfredo is offline   Reply With Quote