Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old February 21, 2016   #1
Uncle Doss
Tomatovillian™

Default Dutch Buckets

I have been doing a lot of reading and studying on hydroponic gardening and/or aquaponics. I had originally been wanting to build a greenhouse for an aquaponics set-up for quite a while, only really became interested in hydroponics recently.

I am thinking now about growing some lettuce and maybe spinach using the Kratkey (sp?) method, but really have been looking into doing tomatoes and peppers in dutch buckets.

Anyone here have any experience with that? If so, please share your experience, positives and negatives.

just to get started, I picked up 25, 4 gallon, food grade, square buckets today (craigslist find), will have the opportunity for about 80 more in two weeks.

I won't be able to get the dutch bucket system going for quite a while, but at least I am getting a jump on the supplies.
Old February 21, 2016   #2
luigiwu
Tomatovillian™

kratky is super easy for lettuce. Get some masterblend and go nuts indoors. I have some kratky lettuce going right now. Its pretty cool.

There is no better source for dutch buckets than Bobby! He is the master.
https://www.youtube.com/user/mhpgardener
Old February 21, 2016   #3
Uncle Doss
Tomatovillian™

MHP Gardener, I think I have seen each of his videos at least twice, and several I have seen many many times. you are right, he has it down.

What I really like about him, he tries something and shows you what he is trying, then, later on shows you a follow up to show what worked and what didn't, and how he tweaked it, and then later on another follow up.

He never leaves you hanging or wondering.