Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 30, 2017   #1
Torquill
Tomatovillian™

Default Carrot-like variety which isn't determinate...?

Hey all, long time no see.

I picked up a tomato plant when I was checking over the plants for the local Master Gardener sale... there was a carrot-like plant in the middle of a flat of Mortgage Lifter. Probably a stray seed in the packet, I figured, and took it home (because what else would you do with it? ) It has since grown into a very vigorous bush, and though it is losing a bunch of its lower leaves to mites -- this is why I normally don't grow carrot types -- it's pumping out lots of oblate red tomatoes with a lower level of sweetness than I normally go for. The foliage is as green as its neighbors, but I suppose if you squint it might possibly seem kind of silvery. Okay, Silvery Fir Tree, right?

Every description I've seen of SFT says it's determinate, though, and this.... isn't. There are three leaves between flower trusses, and even though we're more than four months into the season, it's still reaching out vigorous shoots with new flower buds on them, no terminal bud in sight.

Any ideas? I figured it would be easy to identify this guy, since there's less than five known carrot-types, but of course it's never that simple....

--S
Old July 30, 2017   #2
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torquill View Post
Hey all, long time no see.

I picked up a tomato plant when I was checking over the plants for the local Master Gardener sale... there was a carrot-like plant in the middle of a flat of Mortgage Lifter. Probably a stray seed in the packet, I figured, and took it home (because what else would you do with it? ) It has since grown into a very vigorous bush, and though it is losing a bunch of its lower leaves to mites -- this is why I normally don't grow carrot types -- it's pumping out lots of oblate red tomatoes with a lower level of sweetness than I normally go for. The foliage is as green as its neighbors, but I suppose if you squint it might possibly seem kind of silvery. Okay, Silvery Fir Tree, right?

Every description I've seen of SFT says it's determinate, though, and this.... isn't. There are three leaves between flower trusses, and even though we're more than four months into the season, it's still reaching out vigorous shoots with new flower buds on them, no terminal bud in sight.

Any ideas? I figured it would be easy to identify this guy, since there's less than five known carrot-types, but of course it's never that simple....

--S
Nothing since 2014 and what,3 posts today. Welcome back young lady.

I think this might help.

http://www.tomatoville.com/showthrea...=carrot&page=6

Check out post 82 from Tania,as well as post 88 from Andrey in the above link.

Carolyn
Old July 30, 2017   #3
Torquill
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the thread link, Carolyn. (So glad to see you here!) The comment about Carrot-Like being more vigorous than SFT leans me in that direction, but all the descriptions still say "compact determinate". *shrug*

Another point in Carrot-Like's favor is that Morkovnyi is alphabetically right next to Mortgage Lifter. So I'll probably label the seeds (tentatively) that way, and simply note that while it may grow slightly more compact than some other plants, it's a "determinate" in the same way that Legend is -- which took over half a bed after it ate the usual small-variety cage, and kept producing until Christmas.

On a personal note: still here, still gardening, filing for disability (finally) but still getting the occasional call-out for a pathology consult. I'm running diagnostic workshops for the Master Gardeners which have been very popular. And (on a very personal note) I'm no longer a "lady" either... I finally went for the third option and changed my name to Sam, as that's suitably gender-neutral. I was never very good at the woman thing anyway.

I hope you're doing well yourself, Carolyn... I've thought about you quite a bit over the last too-many years. Most recently when I had to diagnose the CRUD on somebody's tomato seedlings... at least that is far from your only legacy.

--S
Old July 30, 2017   #4
imp
Tomatovillian™

Sam, welcome back and post more often about your world- I am always interested in tomatoes and all sorts of garden truck. As far as your water works, well you have the advantage to stand now, and I hope that all makes you more at home in your own skin- we all need that in life.

Carolyn is a heck of a teacher.
imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31, 2017   #5
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

SFT tree is determinant , short but can get quite bushy , IF you don't prune it. SFT's were tomato machine in my garden this year and the first with ripe tomatoes , on the last day of April. Probably I picked over 50 tomatoes from each plant. And they were each in a 4 gallon shopping bag.
With mine, the leaves were not silvery either.
SFT is regular in my garden. .

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31, 2017   #6
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torquill View Post
Thanks for the thread link, Carolyn. (So glad to see you here!) The comment about Carrot-Like being more vigorous than SFT leans me in that direction, but all the descriptions still say "compact determinate". *shrug*

Another point in Carrot-Like's favor is that Morkovnyi is alphabetically right next to Mortgage Lifter. So I'll probably label the seeds (tentatively) that way, and simply note that while it may grow slightly more compact than some other plants, it's a "determinate" in the same way that Legend is -- which took over half a bed after it ate the usual small-variety cage, and kept producing until Christmas.

On a personal note: still here, still gardening, filing for disability (finally) but still getting the occasional call-out for a pathology consult. I'm running diagnostic workshops for the Master Gardeners which have been very popular. And (on a very personal note) I'm no longer a "lady" either... I finally went for the third option and changed my name to Sam, as that's suitably gender-neutral. I was never very good at the woman thing anyway.

I hope you're doing well yourself, Carolyn... I've thought about you quite a bit over the last too-many years. Most recently when I had to diagnose the CRUD on somebody's tomato seedlings... at least that is far from your only legacy.

--S
Sam it is then.

Yes,I coined the word CRUD which has a specific meaning, but one of your many contributions was

http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/Wisconsin_55_Gold

Sam, nee Alison.

Do you remember at the original Garden Web it was mainly the two of us making diagnoses for others re tomato diseases,I sure do,since we spent many hours doing that. And it's one of the reasons I don't answer many questions in the disease Forum here since there are so many others here that can help.

So you are on disability, well I'm totally homebound now,still have to use a walker, the only time I'll get out of here now is to be carried on a stretcher to an ambulance waiting in the driveway.

But I survive, since my mouth still works,my eyes after bilateral cataract surgery, hearing is OK, no more gall bladder to worry about, and currently no kidney stones.

I read a lot of books,sub to many magazines,4 archaeology ones,3 history ones, several news ones. etc.

And I spend far too much time online,what with being a global Mod here, and also have now 7 folks doing seed production for seed offers,and I source the seeds from many different people in many countries and that I also love since many of those countries I've visited. And yes, several folks here in the US as well as elsewhere also send seeds already processed and ready to go/

But having to pretend to like most of the Meals on Wheels that are delivered gets tiring, just give me huge slab of prime rib,medium rare, double baked potato with cheese filling, a great tossed salad and ice tea or DIET pepsi to drink.

Carolyn, aka Ms Anthracnose who won that title back in the day..