Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 27, 2022   #16
edweather
Tomatovillian™

I think they would do fine up north, starting early indoors. Taste is subjective of course. It's the only variety I grew this year, and I'm not tired of eating them. They are low acid for sure.
Old July 27, 2022   #17
Fusion_power
Tomatovillian™

They vary by location grown. Here in the SouthEast, they typically flavor an 8 on a 1 to 10 scale. Take them to the northern tier of states and they are still a decent tomato but not as productive due to shorter season and not quite the peak of flavor I get down here.

Chuck Wyatt carried Estlers ML for a few years back around 2002. I got seed and have grown them every other year or so since. Edie contacted me about 2008 to get a few plants shipped to her. We exchanged emails a few times over the years.

Compared with Radiator Charlie's Mortgage Lifter, Estlers is a far better variety.
Fusion_power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29, 2022   #18
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

I grew it this past season ('21-'22). I had 2 plants, one in an Earthbox and one in a Rootpoch (fabric bag). They both did great, season overall was excellent - some challenging weather in January and hellicous wind all season.

This picture was taken January 16,2022.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0174.jpg (80.5 KB, 219 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0173.jpg (92.1 KB, 219 views)
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29, 2022   #19
MrsJustice
Tomatovillian™

Nice, Amen!!
MrsJustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12, 2022   #20
kurt
Tomatovillian™

Default Arrived alive.

Thanx for the seeds(30).They be germinating now.Thanx for the detailed history's,Will keep you posted.
Old August 12, 2022   #21
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurt View Post
Thanx for the seeds(30).They be germinating now.Thanx for the detailed history's,Will keep you posted.
Do you always start your seeds this early? Still in South Florida?

I usually start on Sept 1.

This past season I started my heirloom tomato seeds on Oct 4th (I was out of town until the 3rd) and had much less splitting.
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13, 2022   #22
kurt
Tomatovillian™

They are in plugs until going into containers at 80 degrees.I do three sets of maters per season,dependent on the variety.I do usually 10 different cherries,5 regular rounds.Having good results with store bought direct sowing.Real nice results with the Sugar/Flavor/Honey bombs found in stores.The mini Kumato,and large Kumato do real well.I figure they spent all that time perfecting those maters so I tried the seeds and they grew real well.Now I will do a bunch of these Mortgage Lifters to help pay of me mortgage (lol).
Old August 14, 2022   #23
Lee
Tomatopalooza™ Moderator

My seeds also arrived in good condition!

Thanks again for the offer. Will let you know how they perform next season.

Lee

Cuostralee - The best thing on sliced bread.
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16, 2022   #24
hl2601
Tomatovillian™

My seeds arrived as well. Thank you for the offer and including the history!
hl2601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16, 2022   #25
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

Just FYI - I got Estler's from SSE storage two years ago - grew it last year - was clearly not correct (10-12 oz mostly, flavor not great - very German Johnson like). I then got it from Neil Lockhart (SSE member) and grew it this year. It was one of the better tomatoes, productivity and health-wise, in the garden. The size was more like it - a few were over one pound. Flavor was much better than what SSE sent me. It is a bit more oblate than I expected - Halladay and Mullens MLs are, if not round, rounder than oblate.
Old August 17, 2022   #26
Fusion_power
Tomatovillian™

Which highlights one of the problems we have saving seed. One undetected cross can turn a good tomato into something else, perhaps better, perhaps much worse. I'm growing two crosses this year. One of Omar's Lebanese that is potato leaf and was delicious last year, another of Lucky Cross X Silvery Fir Tree. The carrot leaf phenotype is dominant. I should have ripe fruit on both in a day or two.

Estlers is a good flavored very large tomato that tends to have a large core and is susceptible to foliage diseases. It should be grown by a lot more people to ensure it stays around.
Fusion_power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18, 2022   #27
edweather
Tomatovillian™

Good comments. When I grew EML in '20 and '21, they seemed to grow mostly on trusses of 1, 2, or sometimes 3. I was also growing them with other varieties, and they had foliage issues. Lower foliage turned yellow and died, along with some Septoria leaf spot. Was able to fight through the foliage issues though. This year, only growing this one variety, the foliage issues were minimal. Only some very early issues as seedlings. Six of the eight plants are still going. The fruit was also growing up to 5 on a truss. Yes, most were oblatish, but a few were more round. A lot had cracked shoulders, but some didn't. The flavor was good. Was sure I'd be tired of them by now, but are still enjoying them.

Last edited by edweather; August 18, 2022 at 01:05 PM.
edweather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18, 2022   #28
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

Ed, if you want to compare - the strain I grew this year from Neil that seemed correct, with yours - let me know - email me at nctomatoman@gmail.com - send me your address. I'd love a sample of yours to compare as well.
Old October 9, 2022   #29
kurt
Tomatovillian™

Anyway here is your update for now.They were germinated at as soon as I gots them.The puppy’s survived 90 plus,IAN,humidity.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 443870F5-8436-41B7-B33F-E8DDB85DE9C9.jpg (266.3 KB, 80 views)
Old October 11, 2022   #30
edweather
Tomatovillian™

Wow, looks like you had a pretty good germination percentage. Hope they continue to grow well.