Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old August 31, 2018   #256
Tomzhawaii
Tomatovillian™

Aloha Mark,
I do want to say Thank you for this thread and the hard work you and you staff have done this year. For me, you have shown me that dedication and research is the way to accomplish the goals we set. My year was nearly a bust as far as the results are concerned. But the learning was huge. Post hurricane is a mess . I did manage to save some Cherokee Purple's that were sprouting, but everything else got trashed from the wind and rain. My reservoir actually got so much return it flooded my lanai. But like many we are safe and can continue with this hobby.
Dude,
Thanks again for your kindness and sharing of information. Not to mention your help and real advice.
Aloha & Mahalo,
Tom
Tomzhawaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31, 2018   #257
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJGlew View Post
Hey Mark,

Thank you for the pictures, things look very good. Have you settled on any particular Saraev varieties for your outdoor beds, or are you still growing a bunch of them? Is that Druzhnya in the recent "Outside Plants" pictures? tia
Forgive any spelling errors. Here is what I grow.
0-33, cold tolerant, decent taste, great yields.
Sasha's Altai, a bit later, good yield, tastes good.
Glacier, earliest, smaller fruit, interesting taste.
Bezssadnyi, baseball size tomatoes, early, decent taste, big yield.

These do as good as any I have found, a few others have been in the same class but it becomes redundant.
AKmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31, 2018   #258
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomzhawaii View Post
Aloha Mark,
I do want to say Thank you for this thread and the hard work you and you staff have done this year. For me, you have shown me that dedication and research is the way to accomplish the goals we set. My year was nearly a bust as far as the results are concerned. But the learning was huge. Post hurricane is a mess . I did manage to save some Cherokee Purple's that were sprouting, but everything else got trashed from the wind and rain. My reservoir actually got so much return it flooded my lanai. But like many we are safe and can continue with this hobby.
Dude,
Thanks again for your kindness and sharing of information. Not to mention your help and real advice.
Aloha & Mahalo,
Tom
Tom, I hope all is well after the hurricane.

Thanks, it is always a work in progress no matter how many plants we grow.
I just post my results, but give credit to others for helping me get where I want to be.
Take care,
Mark
Old August 31, 2018   #259
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by imp View Post
Might have to try that one. I'm looking or a tasty deeper colored tomato for the yellow/orange slot.
It is my favorite market yellow/orange tomato...SO FAR.

Good flavor, striking to look at. Late season though, but tolerant, easy to grow.
Old August 31, 2018   #260
Greatgardens
Tomatovillian™

I can think of a bunch of questions to ask you about your operation, but I'll restrain myself to just a couple (and perhaps there are other threads that explore facets of your operation). How do you sterilize --steam, bleach, or? How many greenhouse do you maintain?

Your diligence and attention to detail is amazing!

-GG
Greatgardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31, 2018   #261
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatgardens View Post
I can think of a bunch of questions to ask you about your operation, but I'll restrain myself to just a couple (and perhaps there are other threads that explore facets of your operation). How do you sterilize --steam, bleach, or? How many greenhouse do you maintain?

Your diligence and attention to detail is amazing!

-GG
I use germicidal bleach, 1-9 ratio to kill pathogens/ sterilize, and use Greenshield on plastic to disinfect as well as kill algae. GB is ranked as one of the most effective to wipe out any viruses, clean tools, doors, handles, etc., but it is highly corrosive too.

We have 8 standing GH's from 50-96 feet long, most are 30x96.

Ask anything you want, I usually can answer a question within a couple days.

Good luck with your own projects.
Old August 31, 2018   #262
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

Default Tomatoes

Heading to town.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SANY2092.jpg (440.2 KB, 211 views)
File Type: jpg SANY2094.jpg (467.3 KB, 210 views)
File Type: jpg SANY2093.jpg (401.0 KB, 212 views)
Old August 31, 2018   #263
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

They are beautiful!!! Are you going with them to sell or are you a supplier?

We are all so interested in all your gardening endeavors.
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1, 2018   #264
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Wowee! What a haul!
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2, 2018   #265
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb_FL View Post
They are beautiful!!! Are you going with them to sell or are you a supplier?

We are all so interested in all your gardening endeavors.
We do sell some here at the GH, but most go to feed the peeps in the city. Most could not grow a dandelion. LOL We have a guy who takes most to the market.
Old September 3, 2018   #266
nancyruhl
Tomatovillian™

Amazing. And inspiring.
nancyruhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3, 2018   #267
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

To me, what is really amazing about your operation is that you turned lemons (your climate) into lemonade (developing techniques for success). Always fun reading about your latest endeavors. I'm too old to do it myself, so thank you for sharing so I can participate in a small way.

- Lisa
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3, 2018   #268
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenthumbomaha View Post
To me, what is really amazing about your operation is that you turned lemons (your climate) into lemonade (developing techniques for success). Always fun reading about your latest endeavors. I'm too old to do it myself, so thank you for sharing so I can participate in a small way.

- Lisa
Honestly you can grow them too without a whole lot of effort in containers. The MOST IMPORTANT thing is proper fertilizer for tomatoes in containers. You can choose any variety you like. If you want low labor just do tasty determinates.

I will help any way I can.
Old September 4, 2018   #269
RJGlew
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKmark View Post
Forgive any spelling errors. Here is what I grow.
0-33, cold tolerant, decent taste, great yields.
Sasha's Altai, a bit later, good yield, tastes good.
Glacier, earliest, smaller fruit, interesting taste.
Bezssadnyi, baseball size tomatoes, early, decent taste, big yield.

These do as good as any I have found, a few others have been in the same class but it becomes redundant.
Thank you for the information. I recognized the Saraev plant in your picture, but I have never seen the concentric splitting on 0-33, just on Saraev Druzhnya, hence why I took a guess. I'm Zone 3a here, so my climate is a bit worse than yours, and I have also settled on 0-33 as the best of the Saraevs. Vladimir and I played with 6 or 7 Saraev varieties a couple of years ago, but I'm back down to the original one now.
I got a bunch of your Sasha's Altai seeds from Tatiana, and they start off really well, but because they stay short, they don't like my profuse flea beetles and they tend to end up with blight by the end of July. I keep growing them since they are typically one of my first decent sized fruit with a good taste, but the yield is really low due to the blight - typically only 4 to 5 tomatoes.
Glacier meets the same quick end in my garden that SA does since they get really hit hard by the flea beetles as they are so low growing.
Thanks for the tip on Bezssadnyi, I'll look it up and give that a try if I can find seeds.

rg
RJGlew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4, 2018   #270
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

What variety are the very long cucumbers?
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote