Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old June 12, 2013   #1
stefanie1976
Tomatovillian™

Default A question about resistant varieties

I hope one of you can answer my question; it may help me narrow down what is wrong with my plants.

If a variety is listed as resistant to a certain disease, does that mean that it is 100% certain it won't get that disease, or is it just a reduced chance?

Thank you!
Stefanie
stefanie1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12, 2013   #2
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

Resistant= 100%, tolerance the reduce chance. At the least by us.
Vladimír
MrBig46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12, 2013   #3
b54red
Tomatovillian™

I think they mean the plant has the natural ability to resist the effects of the disease at least for a time. It doesn't mean they will never get the disease. I plant a lot of hybrids that are resistant to fusarium wilt yet I haven't found a one that is totally immune to its effects. What it does mean is the plants even when they get it will hang in there much longer than non resistant varieties.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12, 2013   #4
stefanie1976
Tomatovillian™

Thank you both! Wouldn't it be neat if there were totally resistant varieties?
Old June 13, 2013   #5
joseph
Tomatovillian™

In my garden, tomatoes are immune to all the tomato diseases to which moisture is a contributing factor. It's too dry here for moisture loving diseases to thrive. I don't gain any benefit by growing resistant varieties.

I love growing in the desert. A few years ago one mosquito buzzed my ear and I thought it was a sign of the end of the world as we know it.

Last edited by joseph; June 14, 2013 at 12:42 AM.
joseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13, 2013   #6
stefanie1976
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by joseph View Post
In my garden, tomatoes are immune to all the tomato diseases to which moisture is a contributing factor. It's too dry here for moisture loving diseases to thrive. I don't gain any benefit by growing resistant varieties.

I love growing in the desert. A few years ago one mosquito buzzed my ear and thought it was a sign of the end of the world as we know it.
I am growing in the water desert... plus it seems like I am really good at making all kinds of mistakes and growing all kinds of fungi and viruses. One day I will get used to the south-east (I am a transplant).

The mosquitos are about the size of helicopters this year.
Old June 13, 2013   #7
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanie1976 View Post
I am growing in the water desert... plus it seems like I am really good at making all kinds of mistakes and growing all kinds of fungi and viruses. One day I will get used to the south-east (I am a transplant).

The mosquitos are about the size of helicopters this year.
Shoot, you are so far north you are barely in the south. Our mosquitoes would keep yours for pets.

On a more serious note, you will never get used to the diseases and pests but you do learn to adapt. It is also nice to have a long growing season. I can't imagine waiting til August to eat a fresh homegrown tomato while reading about them on this forum for months. I have been growing veggies here for many years and can only remember one summer where the humidity was moderate most of the summer. It was wonderful and I remember it fondly. Diseases were almost non existent by our standards that summer.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14, 2013   #8
joseph
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by b54red View Post
It is also nice to have a long growing season. I can't imagine waiting til August to eat a fresh homegrown tomato while reading about them on this forum for months.
Yup. You guys have been posting for months about the glorious vine ripe tomatoes that you are harvesting, and my tomatoes are just now starting to recover from the transplant shock and frost.

However, on a glorious note, I have been conducting a frost/cold tolerant tomato trial this spring, and some plants that were put out a month earlier than normal thrived in spite of multiple frosts, and 3 of the varieties are currently flowering!!!!
joseph is offline   Reply With Quote