Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old October 2, 2021   #1
Woodenzoo
Tomatovillian™

Default Old Member Here Talking Old Seed Germination

Hello Everyone. It's says I last visited in 2014. I see a few familiar names still here.
I haven't been gardening for years now for several reasons, but we have moved into a new home and I've dug up my old box of seeds. They range from 2005 to 2009, most are from 2007. Most I received from members here or at GardenWeb. I decided to go ahead and test germination before buying new seeds. I'm happy to say that I've got sprouts from 6 of the 12 varieties I tried. It's only been 2 weeks so far, so I figured I'd give the others a bit longer since some are 16 years old. I honestly didn't think I'd get anything as they were kept in a warm house all that time.
Sprouts are from:
Green Zebra '05
Leningradski '07
German Red Strawberry '05
Caspian Pink '07 (the first to sprout)
Heinz 1350 '07
Red Zebra '07

Now to decide if I want to test germination on more varieties or just go with these until the following year....
Is there a concern with old seeds not producing or growing to maturity?
Hope to see some old faces around here and meeting some new ones too!
Woodenzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2, 2021   #2
PaulF
Tomatovillian™

I don't think it carries over that the old seeds seedlings growing into plants do poorly. The plant is all new and will produce just like any other plant would in a specific growing season. Most years I have plants out of seeds seven to ten years and some much older and they do alright. Suppose they would all do better with brand new seeds? Calls for some side-by-side testing.
Old October 2, 2021   #3
eyolf
Tomatovillian™

In my experience, once you get to true leaf stage, you're gonna be OK.

I do experience a bit more failure to get there with old seed; this isn't scientific but it's like the seed had enough energy to stick up a stem, but the root radicle faltered, or it couldn't shed the seed-coat.

We see this with fairly fresh seed, too, but it seems it increases with age.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
Old October 2, 2021   #4
mcsee
Tomatovillian™

A good way to get fresh seed from varieties that often get overlooked and I can't see there being much to go wrong once they start germinating.

Welcome back - a long time between drinks, but not a lot changes. lol

mcsee in Oz.
mcsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2, 2021   #5
rxkeith
Tomatovillian™

once your seeds sprout, and start to show normal growth, you can expect to get a plant that will grow, and produce like normal regardless of the age of the seed.
the only thing i have noticed with old seeds is perhaps a greater tendency
for mules; plants that don't have a central growing tip. they stay at two or three leaves forever. my oldest seeds to grow this year were from 2005. my hand written label said yellow brandywine, but the tomatoes were all red. i may have mislabeled them. i gave away five plants to church members, and kept two for myself. two or three other plants were small, and not thriving, so did not make it into a garden.
germination was still very good.

another issue i just remembered is more helmet heads. some seedlings may have
damaged cotyledons that can't push the seed coat off. sometimes you can save them,
and sometimes you can't.

if you have any heart varieties, those seeds don't keep for as long for some reason.
germination was low for the two hearts i grew from seeds that were about seven years old. they were anna marias heart, and sheryls red portuguese heart.

keith
Old October 3, 2021   #6
MissS
Tomatovillian™

I wouldn't waste more time or seed on testing germination. I get good results from seed as old as you are growing. Just sow an extra couple of seeds in case you have low germination rates.

My seedlings from these do very well. There may possibly be a few more helmet heads but the plants grow out just fine and produce like normal.
Old October 3, 2021   #7
slugworth
Tomatovillian™

The challenge is to get them to germinate,once they do that pat yourself on the back.
With seeds that old I would just start them all at the proper time for seed starting in your area.
slugworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3, 2021   #8
slugworth
Tomatovillian™

Any precious seeds that pop;you can clone later once they get bigger.
slugworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3, 2021   #9
retiree
Tomatovillian™

Default old seed germination

I germinated seed from 1999 to 2007 and plants grew well and were productive.

Saved lots of seeds.

I figured I'd better start some of the oldies while they still had a chance at germination

and wasn't disappointed.
retiree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3, 2021   #10
Woodenzoo
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for all the reassurances!
I will be giving away any extra plants that may come from seeds that are over what I can use.
I will not worry about next year. I was just so surprised getting any germination from any of the seeds so old.
It feels good to be back here again! Hopefully, life won't get in the way of planting tomatoes ever again!
Thanks again!
Woodenzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3, 2021   #11
FarmerShawn
Tomatovillian™

My oldest viable seeds this year were from Carolyn 's collection, Regina from 1992, and Violaceum Kryp (SP) from 1994, and both grew and produced very well, despite getting frozen and dying back to almost nothing back in May! They were about five feet tall when the freeze hit, cold enough to freeze my big unheated greenhouse.
Old October 3, 2021   #12
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

I often like to use my collection of older seeds especially if the varieties are from swaps.
I find very few wrong/ crossed seeds in growouts from my old seed stash compared to newer ones. I think folks were more careful and back then it was mainly experienced seed savers doing the swapping.
Good luck with your older seeds and welcome back
KarenO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote