Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating all other edible garden plants.

Old April 3, 2015   #1
EBCIII
Tomatovillian™

Default Carrots?

I had a nice crop of Carrots up and ready to be planted. I put them out in some Walmart Bags with Miracle Grow Potting Soil. They were doing great until? My dumb self forgot about them and the soil dried up. Now I have no Carrots.

Question? When I get my Garden soil can I plant the seeds I have left (a lot) directly into the soil? Beale.
EBCIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3, 2015   #2
Lee
Tomatopalooza™ Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by EBCIII View Post
I had a nice crop of Carrots up and ready to be planted.
I'm a little confused about this. Do you mean to say you planted
the seeds inside, and were about to transplant them out?
I've seen this at some garden stores and I never have understood the reason for this. Since carrots are grown for their roots, transplanting is not a typical method to ensure quality (not twisted) harvests.

Quote:
Question? When I get my Garden soil can I plant the seeds I have left (a lot) directly into the soil? Beale.
Absolutely, that's the best way, and I would recommend to plant them in well draining/loose soil to ensure quality development of the roots.

Also, note, carrots love tomatoes. (Actually that's a book title you should check out!)
I always plant my carrots along the outside edge of the raised bed that I have tomatoes in. They do very well that way.

Lee

Cuostralee - The best thing on sliced bread.
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3, 2015   #3
Stvrob
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by EBCIII View Post
I had a nice crop of Carrots up and ready to be planted. I put them out in some Walmart Bags with Miracle Grow Potting Soil. They were doing great until? My dumb self forgot about them and the soil dried up. Now I have no Carrots.

This is a little confusing but I am intrigued now. Were you growing carrot seedlings in a walmart bag filled with potting soil to transplant them in your bed later?

You can transplant carrots, but you have to do it when the seedlings are very small. Its best to direct sow them.
Stvrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3, 2015   #4
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

I'm confused too. I can reply on the last part Beale, I planted 4 varieties of carrots in our garden weeks ago and haven't seen anything coming up. I'm in zone 8A, and it has been more like late May here for a while now (High temps 80 - 90F). You are in 7A Va and I have no idea what grows well there.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3, 2015   #5
Stvrob
Tomatovillian™

Carrots take a while to germinate, though at warm temperatures they shouldnt take that long. Are you keeping them moist?
Old April 3, 2015   #6
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Yes. I water them daily.
Old April 3, 2015   #7
Stvrob
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
Yes. I water them daily.
That is frustrating. Has your soil been warm for weeks? Or has it just recently become warm? They take a very long time in cold soil. The good thing is, they don't generally rot. At least in my experience.
Old April 3, 2015   #8
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

I've always had better luck with fall grown carrots here but give it a try.
Old April 3, 2015   #9
Stvrob
Tomatovillian™

Also, if your carrots do turn out to be a disappointment, dont give up entirely. A lot of people are much more succesful with a fall crop.
Old April 3, 2015   #10
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I start carrots in the fall they grow all winter and I pick them in the spring and summer they get huge.
They live with the tomatoes.
I have yet to see them freeze back.
Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3, 2015   #11
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

In my own experience, watering carrot seed once a day is not enough. If the soil dries out, like when it's windy, it will crust over and then you're done. I water 2-3 times a day until they come up. Yes, it's a pain to water that much. It's kind of like trying to get grass seed started. You just can't let it dry out.

Beale, you don't live far from me so if you have seed left, try in the fall, too. I have given up on spring grown carrots.
Old April 3, 2015   #12
JJJessee
Tomatovillian™

I direct sow carrots as a fall crop in early July into very fine soil and cover them with a board to insure the ground stays perfectly damp just until the start to germinate. This spring I'm going to try an small early crop and use the board too. April winds can be killer on getting seedling up and going..
JJJessee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3, 2015   #13
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Thanks Beale, this thread has helped me too. Shelleybean, that is exactly what is happening. I water once and the high winds dry it out. I will try to grow them this fall/winter. Worth, I had no idea they would overwinter like that - cool.

Okay, well, the good thing is muahaha out of the way carrots NOW I have more room for peppers.
Old April 3, 2015   #14
Stvrob
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
Thanks Beale, this thread has helped me too. Shelleybean, that is exactly what is happening. I water once and the high winds dry it out. I will try to grow them this fall/winter. Worth, I had no idea they would overwinter like that - cool.

Okay, well, the good thing is muahaha out of the way carrots NOW I have more room for peppers.
Aww. They still might come up? I bet if you look right now they are just peeking thru!
Old April 3, 2015   #15
Lee
Tomatopalooza™ Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stvrob View Post
Aww. They still might come up? I bet if you look right now they are just peeking thru!
Agree, they are tough, so don't give up. And carrots have
always done well for me in the spring here...... YMMV

Lee

Cuostralee - The best thing on sliced bread.
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote