Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old May 30, 2013   #1
aclum
Tomatovillian™

Default Insect Egg Cluster

Hi,

Can anyone identify the possible source of the egg cluster (???) shown on the leaf in the attached photo?

I'm sorry the photo is so out of focus, but at least maybe you can get a better idea of what I'm talking about when I describe it.

The cluster is on the underside of a small leaf and the cluster itself is about 1/2 to 3/4" long by about half as wide (I no longer have the leaf to actually measure). The background lines in light blue are from my jeans fabric, so that will help you judge the scale too. The cluster is comprised of tiny hexagonal (I think - didn't actually cound the sides LOL!) cells like a honeycomb. The leaf itself looked very healthy and there was no other evidence of insects in the area (crawling or flying). The cluster itself was maybe 1/16" thick.

Any idea what the eggs are? And how I might get rid of the egg layers assuming they're NOT beneficial.

Thanks!
Anne
Attached Images
File Type: jpg insect eggs on leaf 5-30-13.jpg (187.7 KB, 57 views)
aclum is offline   Reply With Quote