Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Forum area for discussing hybridizing tomatoes in technical terms and information pertinent to trait/variety specific long-term (1+ years) growout projects.

Old June 5, 2010   #1
jeffinjonestown
Tomatovillian™

Default Rutgers x Brandy

I thought I had given my brandywines a large head start over my rutgers and cherries, but the rutgers and brandys are now getting flowers at the same time. The only thing I am pretty sure of is that if the rutgers have both genes for RL and not just one, the F1 would all be RL. Do we know whether rutgers is RL RL or RL PL? I was thinking of letting some crossing happen, but only if I will be certain as to which plants next year are pure brandys and which are the crosses.
jeffinjonestown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5, 2010   #2
jeffinjonestown
Tomatovillian™

Just answered my own stupid question I thnk. My rutgers have bred true for 2 generations so they must not carry a recessive pl. Right?
Old June 5, 2010   #3
dhrtx
Tomatovillian™

Any true breeding variety should be homozygous for dominant traits like RL, as I understand. Any seeds from those Brandywines that grow out RL must be crossed, since PL is recessive. Your Rutgers, on the other hand, would not show PL the second year if they were crossed the first year, and the third year only 1/4 would show PL. That cross should be very unlikely, and you should still be able to identify any RL offspring of the Brandywines as hybrids.
dhrtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5, 2010   #4
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffinjonestown View Post
Just answered my own stupid question I thnk. My rutgers have bred true for 2 generations so they must not carry a recessive pl. Right?
Not really just based on 2 growouts. Rutgers has bred true since it was introduced in the late 20's and then more formally in 1933.

I think what you were asking is if Rutgers is homozygous for RL or heterozygous for RL.

If homozygous, which it probably is, then using Brandywine as the female parent the F1 would be all RL.

If it were heterozygous it would look like this:

C= RL
c= PL

CC= RL
Cc= RL
cc=PL

If Rutgers is Cc and not CC the cross would look like this:

C c

c Cc cc

c Cc cc

So half of the F1 seeds would be PL and half RL

But I think you'll find that Rutgers is CC

Just curious, but why did you want to cross Rutgers with Brandywine?
Old June 5, 2010   #5
jeffinjonestown
Tomatovillian™

That's good. So as long as I isolate the cherries from those two I can relax and sort things out with next year's seedlings. Eventually I would like to have a stable brandy rutgers that would be PL since PLs have been better for me, taste somewhat like rutgers, and be a little earlier and have less cracking than the brandys. Not too much to ask, is it?
Old June 5, 2010   #6
jeffinjonestown
Tomatovillian™

Carolyn,
I was also thinking in terms of somewhat smaller plants than my brandys since I have to top mine off at 6 1/2 feet where I am growing them as it is now.
Old June 6, 2010   #7
lefty_logan
Tomatovillian™

The f1 will be regular leaf. The f2's will segregate out 3:1 regular leaf : potato leaf.