Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old March 25, 2015   #1
cheebamaster
Tomatovillian™

Default First grow ever. Have some questions and need advice!

Hey all,

This will be my first tomato/vegetable grow ever. I plan on doing container gardening as I hear it's easier and the soil here is terrible anyhow.

First, I know it's probably been asked a billion times, but is there any general consensus on what potting mix is considered top notch? I'm confused as to whether I should buy Promix and then just add fertilizer or if I should get a full organic mix with stuff already in it.

Currently, I have about 10 bags of Ocean Forest. Is this a good soil to put in the pots and add the tomato plants to? Or is it better to go with promix which has nothing added.

Second, I bought:

Azomite
Tomato Tone
Neptune Fish/Seaweed fertilizer
My nurserys humates/algae blend that they said helps in a ton of ways.
Epson Salt

(I also have bat guano/bone meal but not sure if I should use those for anything)

I started the plants in a soiless medium and am planning to mix Ocean forest, the humates, azomite, and tomato tone with a tsp of epson salt together and plant all of my vegetables in the container like this. Is there anything I'm missing or should add?

Also, any other advice for growing would be appreciated. I really want this first go around to work out.

Thanks!!
cheebamaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25, 2015   #2
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

I would skip the epsom salt, unless you know you have a deficiency of magnesium. I would use the Tomato Tone since it is very complete, and skip the other ferts but you can add liquid fish fert in proper proportion when the plant starts to flower, and give it a little dose every 2 weeks or so. Azomite is fine. Follow directions, you should be OK. Any kind of potting mix, not soil is fine, make sure there is enough perlite or other aeration present for the roots. I haven't used it but I think Ocean Forest is well thought of.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25, 2015   #3
Tomato Beth
Tomatovillian™

TomatoTone is fantastic. I use it every year, and my tomatoes love it.

Make sure to have a good light source on your seedlings. I use plain old shop lights with 1 warm fluorescent bulb and 1 cool one. Mine are on chains so that I can raise the height as the plants grow. I turn them on in the morning and turn them off when I go to bed. Some people use timers, but if I take a quick look at them every day, I'm able to make sure they get the water they need.
Old March 25, 2015   #4
RayR
Tomatovillian™

Fox Farms Ocean Forest is what is called an organic hot mix. It's loaded with organic nutrients. You shouldn't need to fertilize for awhile, definitely stay away from adding any high nitrogen fertilizers.

Ocean Forest Contents:
forest humus
sandy loam
sphagnum peat
perlite
earthworm castings
bat guano,
sea-going fish emulsion
crab meal
shrimp meal
kelp meal
oyster shell
granite dust
RayR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25, 2015   #5
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomato Beth View Post
TomatoTone is fantastic. I use it every year, and my tomatoes love it.

Make sure to have a good light source on your seedlings. I use plain old shop lights with 1 warm fluorescent bulb and 1 cool one. Mine are on chains so that I can raise the height as the plants grow. I turn them on in the morning and turn them off when I go to bed. Some people use timers, but if I take a quick look at them every day, I'm able to make sure they get the water they need.
I just found a new bag of plant tone I didn't know I had.
I'll be using it till it's gone.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote