Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old March 21, 2015   #1
Rairdog
Tomatovillian™

Default Slow and cool

I have experimented with growing some Pineapple and Martino tomato's very slow and cool. These were started in late Jan. It was the first time I have saved seed so it started as a germination test. I knew they would be to big by May. I was curious how commercial plants are so thick and compact. They were fed lightly 2 to 3 times with seaweed, AACT extract, buffalo loam and 1/4 strength shultz' 10-15-10 while in DE. They hardly grew at all until they were up-potted. Then they slowly came out of their purple state and exploded. They have been kept between 55-65 except for a few sunny days when the GH reached mid 80's for a few hours.

Here they are on 2/18

Today

Does this seem like a good plan? Do you think it will make them sturdier for cool nights when planted out?
Rairdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21, 2015   #2
JamesL
Tomatovillian™

They look really good. Pretty think stemmed already. Almost look like dwarves.
May is still a long way off though. Do you have room to up pot again?
It will be tough to keep them cool from here on out, no?
JamesL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22, 2015   #3
Rairdog
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesL View Post
They look really good. Pretty think stemmed already. Almost look like dwarves.
May is still a long way off though. Do you have room to up pot again?
It will be tough to keep them cool from here on out, no?
I can make room and plan on 1.25 quart next. They may take a little more shuffling than I planned to keep them cool. The Pineapple got to 8 ft last year. The Martino is listed a determinate but I think it's more semi-det. I had it in aqauponics and it never stopped producing until it got too cold and died out. These were just an experiment that I couldn't kill knowing it was too early. I have 72 of of various varieties that are germinating now. They will get 6 to 8 weeks before planting out. I just wanted to see if I can avoid tall lanky plants that need support in a pot. I will probably have trouble keeping them from getting root bound and flowering in the pots. This was a big problem for me last year.
Old March 25, 2015   #4
Rairdog
Tomatovillian™

So no one thinks it's odd to grow with heat and have lanky plants that can't support themseves? I was just reading about feeding inhibitors. I never realized that was the cause of stocky plants. I just figured it was cost saving to grow them cooler.
Old March 25, 2015   #5
RayR
Tomatovillian™

They look great. There's one thing about DE that is extraordinary, it is a great thermal insulator. Keeping the roots protected from the cool outside temperatures is very important for tomato plants.
RayR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25, 2015   #6
peppero
Tomatovillian™

Great pix and I wish you success in your tomato experiments.

jon
peppero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25, 2015   #7
JamesL
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rairdog View Post
So no one thinks it's odd to grow with heat and have lanky plants that can't support themseves? I was just reading about feeding inhibitors. I never realized that was the cause of stocky plants. I just figured it was cost saving to grow them cooler.
Agreed. Selling plants with growth inhibitor applied ought to come with a disclaimer.
But that's tilting at windmills as it won't happen.
JamesL is offline   Reply With Quote