Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old April 8, 2015   #16
rhines81
Tomatovillian™

I don't mind the deer herds coming in the yard, they just have to respect the garden. I usually seed the borders of the wooded areas with bulk radish seed and other lush yummies that keep the deer occupied. Plenty of wild blueberry and blackberry bushes around the property and surrounding area to also keep them happy. Just a basic 6' t-pole wire fence setup seems to keep them away (at least so far). Bear are a different story, a flimsy fence wouldn't keep them out, but luckily they mostly only go after trash cans in the surrounding subdivisions. I've lost a few bird feeders to them, only to find the feeders weeks later deep in the woods and mangled.
rhines81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8, 2015   #17
rhines81
Tomatovillian™

I've been thinking about some sort of soaker system too, but so far I don't have it planned out enough for this year (still time left though).
rhines81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9, 2015   #18
FISHBONE
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhines81 View Post
I've been thinking about some sort of soaker system too, but so far I don't have it planned out enough for this year (still time left though).
I never tried it but been reading a bit on soakers,, seems to be good enough reasons to invest in a soaker system.. the kit i bought is 100ft and bunch of connectors/fittings so i should be able to tee off my four separate beds off two faucets off the house. I think timely controlled irrigation will yield more and better fruit .. Now thinking of repotting my leggy seedlings ,,going to use peat starter mixed with a lower percentage of mg soil.. I know it is the tricky part with such fragile thin stems but rather do this now than try pull/digging them out any taller.. plus I will get them deeper where they have better chance than these leggy stems look now!
FISHBONE is offline   Reply With Quote