Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old August 5, 2017   #1
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Default New Variety Winners of 2017

For over 10 years I have been trying lots of new varieties , in search to find a few that I like. In fact about 50% the varieties that am growing ( ~ 16 ) this year are new to me.
I had had my share of disappointment and surprises.

Here are my top FIVE surprises this year:

Indian Stripe PL
Esterina
Cuostralee
German Queen
Indigo Cherry Drops

This is, of course , in addition to the varieties that I have grown in the past.

Ok, What are some of your surprising discoveries this season ?

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5, 2017   #2
pinklady5
Tomatovillian™

Trying Soldaki for the first time this year. I'm still waiting for it to ripen but the plants are loaded with fruit. I love Cuostralee! It is on my grow list every year.
pinklady5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5, 2017   #3
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

do you care if it is OP heirloom or hybrid picks? I know everyone has had their gripes about Burpees but I tried 2 new varieties this year. One is Honey Delight... it is supposed to be a 4 oz tomato but I knew looking at the picture it was not a 4 oz tomato. it is a large cherry maybe about 2 oz. excellent tomato. and Orange Slice Hybrid. an excellent large orange slicer.
Old August 5, 2017   #4
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by clkeiper View Post
do you care if it is OP heirloom or hybrid picks? I know everyone has had their gripes about Burpees but I tried 2 new varieties this year. One is Honey Delight... it is supposed to be a 4 oz tomato but I knew looking at the picture it was not a 4 oz tomato. it is a large cherry maybe about 2 oz. excellent tomato. and Orange Slice Hybrid. an excellent large orange slicer.

No ! It does not matter to me/others but to you who likes a variety , regardless of OP/hybrid designations. I have a few hybrid favorites myself ( like Big Beef, Brandy Boy , ...) But they are not new to me in 2017.

I think now have close to 12 varieties that I have found all these years that I like.
Come 2018, NO MORE new trials for me. I have enough to suit my limited growing capabilities.
Next season, few varieties and fewer plants . Gotta enjoy gardening and relax a bit. I am getting old.

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5, 2017   #5
Spartanburg123
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardeneer View Post
No ! It does not matter to me/others but to you who likes a variety , regardless of OP/hybrid designations. I have a few hybrid favorites myself ( like Big Beef, Brandy Boy , ...) But they are not new to me in 2017.

I think now have close to 12 varieties that I have found all these years that I like.
Come 2018, NO MORE new trials for me. I have enough to suit my limited growing capabilities.
Next season, few varieties and fewer plants . Gotta enjoy gardening and relax a bit. I am getting old.
I certainly hope you can give DLH one more chance! It is an exceptional plant!
Spartanburg123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7, 2017   #6
pmcgrady
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by clkeiper View Post
Save seed from the Orange Slice, F2's are very good, F3's are doing good this year. I think BarbFL is up to F5.
pmcgrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7, 2017   #7
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmcgrady View Post
Save seed from the Orange Slice, F2's are very good, F3's are doing good this year. I think BarbFL is up to F5.
cool. thanks. maybe I will but we have widespread bacterial speck here this year. the inside tomatoes look fabulous... the outside ones terrible. so I am not sure I should save anything this year.
Old August 5, 2017   #8
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

My biggest surprise this year was finding out our ground has Fusarium wilt race 3.

2. Big Beef is as good as others have told me.
3. Gargamel was fun to grow and tastes good. It's striped and changes colors.
4. Anna Margaret's Heart - everyone who likes hearts needs to try this one.
5. Japanese Pink Cherry is my favorite sweet cherry tomato.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5, 2017   #9
MikeInCypress
Tomatovillian™

New ones that were Good in 2017:
1) GGWT - Beautiful with excellent taste and a good producer
2) Gladiator - 1st Burpee Intro since Brandy Boy that lives up to its hype. Huge yield of very large paste tomatoes.

MikeInCypress
Old August 5, 2017   #10
PaulF
Tomatovillian™

So far with only about half of the varieties ripened, Daniel Burson is the leader on production and flavor...it's a winner this year.
Old August 5, 2017   #11
jtjmartin
Tomatovillian™

Chocolate Stripes PL - wonderful taste and production
Kapidag Red from Two Seeds in a Pod - just a wonderful throw-back taste to a time when tomatoes tasted like . . . well, tomatoes!
Sungold
jtjmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5, 2017   #12
pondgardener
Tomatovillian™

Robert, (AlittleSalt) mentioned "Anna Margaret's Heart" and it is a favorite of mine as well. But I may be a little prejudiced as Anna Margaret is my aunt. And the "surprise" I had this year was a grow out of a possible mutation of this variety which is showing orange instead of the pink tomato. Notice the one "normal" surrounded by the mutants in the picture below. But more on that as the season goes on.

George

IMG_3366.jpg

Old Proverb
pondgardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5, 2017   #13
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Wow, Pondgardener, those are very different.

I'm planning on growing next year's Anna Margaret's Heart grafted to a FFF,N rootstock. They did very well here growing through RKN and Fusarium 3, but it did effect them eventually just like all others. Grafting is completely new to me. I plan on practicing with seeds that I have a lot of (Way too many of).

Your post to this thread is inspiring to me, and I thank you for that.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6, 2017   #14
MuddyToes
Tomatovillian™

Default My favs for flavor in 2017

These are all new for me:
1. Sun gold (Good in salads, salsas, and dehydrated. Pure yum! Now I know what all the fuss is about here at TV.)
2. Jaune Flammee (Tastes really good dehydrated. Surprised because I didn't think I would like a tangy tomato.)
3. Dwarf Purple Heart (Tastes great but I've only gotten one so far that didn't crack before ripening. I will plant in-ground next year. It's unhappy in the EB.)
MuddyToes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6, 2017   #15
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

Grandma Oliver's Chocolate, two enthusiastic thumbs up. Thank u Marsha.
Gerardo is offline   Reply With Quote