Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating herbs.

Old February 7, 2007   #1
GrowSeeds
Tomatovillian™

Location: Somewhere in the Universe on planet Earth in the USA in Alabama - zone 8
Default Cilantro?

I got some Cilantro seeds to grow and found this recipie

Cilantro Lime Glaze
Use as a glaze over chicken or pork.

Serves: 4

I N G R E D I E N T S
1/2 cup Honey
1/2 cup Lime Juice
2 tbs. Mustard
2 tbs. Cilantro
(roughly chopped in food processor)
1/4 tbs. Rib Rub (or any premix spice mixture with chiles, pepper, thyme, etc)

I N S T R U C T I O N S
Blend honey, lime juice and mustard; add cilantro and rib rub. Serve at room temperature.
GrowSeeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8, 2007   #2
Althea
Tomatovillian™

This sounds great! Thanks.
Old February 12, 2007   #3
GrowSeeds
Tomatovillian™

Location: Somewhere in the Universe on planet Earth in the USA in Alabama - zone 8

It sounded yummy to me too. Though I have not grow the Cilantro yet so I don't know how it will falvor the other ingredients.
Old February 23, 2007   #4
sirtanon
Tomatovillian™

You absolutely can't go wrong with fresh-grown cilantro. I have about a dozen plants in my garden, all growing happily. It's such an easy plant to grow, and cheaply!

I've seen Cilantro seed in catalogs, etc.. with standard seed pricing, but I decided to go the frugal route (read that as "cheap" I went to the local grocery store and down the herbs aisle, and found a nice large bag of 'coriander' seeds for about $1.29 - Must contain a thousand seed in it, if not more.

I separated out about 1/4 of the total seeds into a small ziploc bag and put the rest in the herb cupboard... took a pinch of them out to the garden and just pushed them into the soil and watered.. voila!
Old March 11, 2007   #5
DavidinCT
Tomatovillian™

Anyone try "Coriander Confetti"? Seeds were only 99 cents so I couldn't resist. Looks pretty (fern like leaves). Seed blurbs tout it as sweeter and less likely to bolt for whatever that's worth.
DavidinCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12, 2007   #6
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Cilantro was the trendy flavor in Houston about 6 years ago. They added it to everything. I actually kind of got sick of it.

It is essential in Thai and Vietnamese cooking. You'll find it in Americanized Mexican food too. It has lots of uses and a distinctive taste. But it doesn't go with "everything". I will probably grow some as I make Thai curry quite often.
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12, 2007   #7
GrowSeeds
Tomatovillian™

feldon30 you say for Americanized Mexican foods. Do you know if it's used in chile and tacos?
Thanks
Old March 12, 2007   #8
lakshmi
Tomatovillian™

I don't believe it's used in chile. It's not usually put in tacos but places that have fresh salsa bars usually have it as an option you can add on top yourself. The flavor is quite strong so many people don't like it. It is used quite heavily in Indian food too.

If you plant cilantro, and let some go to seed, it should reseed itself next year.

Lakshmi

Last edited by lakshmi; March 12, 2007 at 11:20 PM.
lakshmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12, 2007   #9
DavidinCT
Tomatovillian™

Excellent in pico de gallo, ceviche and Mexican shrimp cocktails. Goes well with cold fresh food--red onions, chopped tomatoes, lime and lemon juice, garlic, chopped hot or sweet peppers, sour cream. Never cooked with it but I guess some do warm it up for a few minutes or put it on hot foods.
DavidinCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12, 2007   #10
wilderness1989
Tomatovillian™

My wife uses it in her salsa and it makes the salsa great.
Old March 12, 2007   #11
lakshmi
Tomatovillian™

Also in guacamole...

Lakshmi
Old March 13, 2007   #12
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

It's quite nice in salsa. I bought some Cilantro seeds today.

I make a sort of Guacamole salad which is a recipe I got from Boudreaux's on the Riverwalk in San Antonio, TX. They didn't give me the recipe, I just watched them make it enough times at the dinner table.

3 ripe (but not rotten) avocados, mashed
juice of 1 lg or 2 sm limes
1/4 cup premium or fresh orange juice
1/4 cup Hunts stewed tomatoes
1/4 cup diced red onion
salt to taste

It has a sweet, bright flavor that goes great on tortilla chips.
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13, 2007   #13
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I like cilantro it is used in traditional Mexican food more than you think, but as usual - Tex Mex restaurants tend to throw there own twist on things which is ok I guess.

The best way to experience some of the food our Mexican friends eat is to go to some of the places they eat not where a bunch of, ‘in their words Anglos eat.

Some of these places are quite nice; one for example is on the east side of 35 on 7th street in Austin in an old house right by the highway.
They make their own corn tortillas that are out of this world.

The folks are friendly and you get treated great, the prices are for the working class and the portions are more than enough.

After working around Mexicans from south of the border and befriending many of these folks, I have picked up on some of the things to ask for.

Al Pastor is one of them, and if you want a jalapeño pepper that is not pickled you ask for jalapeño Verde or jalapeño fresco entero make sure you roll the R’s and excuse the spelling, I can say it but I can’t spell it.
This will give you a whole green pepper with your meal.

If you want a pickled jalapeño you ask for jalapeño vinagre, excuse the spelling and roll the R
As you are an Anglo they will look at you a little funny as Anglos don’t eat peppers this way.
Cilantro is served on just about everything they eat you just have to ask for it.
If you like the looks of what the guy next to you is eating just ask him what it is and he will give you a lesson in Mexican Spanish then when you get it right go up to the counter and ask for it.
You will get a big smile from the girl behind the counter and make a lot of friends to boot.
Then if you treat these folks with the dignity they deserve on the job and help them out when you can, they will tell you to come eat with them and you will have friends from now on.
Just bring some peppers, good tomatoes from the garden and some BBQ’ed ribs like I do and share with everybody.

You wouldn’t believe some of the crazy food I have eaten.
Remember these guys and gals come here knowing how much the big majority of the US citizens despise the fact they are here.
We don’t have to be part of that crowd.

I helped a landscaping crew haul plants from a trailer one day after work just because I like to plant things.
I would point to the plant and the foreman, ‘who could speak very little English and very much surprised, would point to where they went.
They got through about an hour early and he pointed to an ice chest, inside it was full of cold drinks; ‘I got one and thanked him for it.
The next day we had lunch.
We can let food and good deeds bring us together in a way no other thing can.
Cilantro is just one of them.
Have a good day and enjoy your cilantro.
here is a pic of where the landscaping took place the lady use to have a show on PBS KLRU some years back a real nice lady.

Attachment 122

Worth

Last edited by Worth1; November 17, 2012 at 05:45 PM.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15, 2007   #14
bizzarbazzar
Tomatovillian™

That sounds fabulous. I am going to have to try it when my herbs are mature this season. Thanks so much for posting it
bizzarbazzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18, 2007   #15
David52
Tomatovillian™

I buy bulk seed, a lb at a time, from Johnny's, the kind that they have broken the seed capsule into the respective seeds. I try to remember to plant some every two weeks all year long, it does very well in a window in the winter. Nothing wrong if it goes to seed, but its not the same. It will over-winter outside very easily, and stays green under the snow, although it never gets more than about an inch high. I try to keep a 'weed patch' of it out on a southern exposed area, along with a parsley patch and a dill patch.

My favorite is when the garlic scapes are up, and making a big batch of pesto.