Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for commercial seed, plant and garden supply sources.

Old December 30, 2012   #1
DuckCreekFarms
Tomatovillian™

Default Duck Creek Farms

Our Sweetpotato catalog is updated for the 2013 season

http://duckcreekfarms.com/sweetpotato.shtml

http://duckcreekfarms.com/pdfs/Sweet...atalog2013.pdf
the above is a direct link to the Sweetpotato Catalog it is a PDF file so will take a few minutes to open

thanks
gary

Last edited by DuckCreekFarms; December 31, 2012 at 02:51 PM.
DuckCreekFarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30, 2012   #2
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckCreekFarms View Post
Our Sweetpotato catalog is updated for the 2013 season

http://duckcreekfarms.com/sweetpotato.shtml

thanks
gary
How far are you from Ok City?

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30, 2012   #3
DuckCreekFarms
Tomatovillian™

I am just outside of Tulsa. I set up at the Cherry Street Farmers' Market in Tulsa and also sell through the Oklahoma Food Cooperative.

http://www.oklahomafood.coop/

thanks
gary
Old December 30, 2012   #4
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Tulsa is a bit far. Was considering heading out and maybe getting something. But I guess I can chat here.

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
Old December 30, 2012   #5
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

I noticed you did a heirloom tomato trial for Oklahoma Heirloom Tomato Trial 2009

And you talked about a transplant target date for May 1st

Was that starting seedlings around February 15? +/- or March 15? +/-

Because I am seriously considering starting my seedlings around feb 15 and getting them in the ground sometime in April, due to the recent summer heat waves these last few years kicking my butt.

I haven't decided a target date yet though. Was thinking at least 2 weeks early at ~ April 15 if not a full month early at ~April 1st

Finally, when exactly do you recommend Sweet Potato plantings?

AKA The Redbaron

Bill Mollison
Old December 30, 2012   #6
DuckCreekFarms
Tomatovillian™

I continue to get lots of questions about the Okinawa Purple. The Okinawa is such a long season and undependable variety that I caution people growing it. I would recommend some of the other purple fleshed ones like the Purple Delight, Dingess Purple Flesh and Molokai Purple. They have all been dependable and produce a under shorter season.

I have started a purple flesh sweetpotato breeding program and have several new seedlings that are deep purple flesh that look promising....hopefully I will be able to introduce some for the 2014 season.

gary
Old December 30, 2012   #7
DuckCreekFarms
Tomatovillian™

I usualy target my Tomato seeding date about Feb 14, however I will try earlier this year because of the weather we have been having the past couple of years. Probably try to shoot for Feb 1 or a week earlier.

Our normal frost free date is about April 15, but last year it was early March. and it looks like this might be the same this year with the warmer than normal predictions.
Old December 30, 2012   #8
DuckCreekFarms
Tomatovillian™

Here in Oklahoma we can plant Sweetpotatoes from about May 1 until the end of June with good success if they have moisture. Sweets love the heat, but they need plenty of water while they are producing roots.
Old December 30, 2012   #9
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckCreekFarms View Post
I usualy target my Tomato seeding date about Feb 14, however I will try earlier this year because of the weather we have been having the past couple of years. Probably try to shoot for Feb 1 or a week earlier.

Our normal frost free date is about April 15, but last year it was early March. and it looks like this might be the same this year with the warmer than normal predictions.

Thanks!

And sweet potatoes? Do you ship them? And when do you suggest I order? I am completely new to sweet potatoes in Oklahoma. I have grown them in Indiana and Florida, but not here.

PS Unlike the rest of Oklahoma I usually only need to water 3 or 4 times a year. Mostly due to all the work I put into the soil. Even last year in the middle of the drought I seldom needed to water. Of course I can if needed though. What variety do you recommend? OOPS Sory Gary I see you already answered what varieties! My bad.

AKA The Redbaron

Bill Mollison

Last edited by Redbaron; December 30, 2012 at 10:20 PM.
Old December 30, 2012   #10
LBchilehead
Tomatovillian™

I can't find sweet potatoes anywhere ad I don't know how to grow them but I would like to know How
LBchilehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31, 2012   #11
DuckCreekFarms
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbaron View Post
Thanks!

And sweet potatoes? Do you ship them? Yes And when do you suggest I order? Anytime I am completely new to sweet potatoes in Oklahoma. I have grown them in Indiana and Florida, but not here.

PS Unlike the rest of Oklahoma I usually only need to water 3 or 4 times a year. Mostly due to all the work I put into the soil. Even last year in the middle of the drought I seldom needed to water. Of course I can if needed though. What variety do you recommend? OOPS Sory Gary I see you already answered what varieties! My bad.
Some of my best producers this year under our drought condidtions were, Georgia Jet, Arkansas Red, Barberman, New Jersey Red, that come to mind but just about any of the ones listed in the catalog this year did well enough to have seed roots,
Old December 31, 2012   #12
DuckCreekFarms
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBchilehead View Post
I can't find sweet potatoes anywhere ad I don't know how to grow them but I would like to know How

Here is the Culture Sheet from my website. Sweets are about the easiest plant to grow there is.
http://duckcreekfarms.com/pdfs/SweetPotatoGrowSheet.pdf