Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old April 27, 2006   #1
gardenpaws_VA
Tomatovillian™

Default twisted leaves on seedlings?

I"m growing about 10 varieties, only two hybrids, and I've been transplanting them this week. (Yes, I'm late, but I started late.) The two hybrids look fine, but all the others have yellowish cotelydons and true leaves that are somewhat recurved and twisted.

They were started in Scott's potting soil for seed starting, which has few nutrients. They're now being moved into a potting soil with slow-release fertilizer (en route to the garden). All plants are living on one of the middle shelves of my plant rack, lit by 4, 4' 32w T8 tubes about 8" above the plant tips. (They were closer to the lights before transplanting - about 6 inches.) Temps are around 70-75 due to the heat from the light setup.

As best I can tell, the true leaves seem to be flattening out somewhat since transplant - were my seedlings just starving to death? Or did they have too much light (absolutely, or for the amount of food)? Or do they have some sort of disease or insect problem?

I have seen whiteflies in the house, but have not noticed infestations on the tomatoes.

All suggestions will be gratefully accepted.

Thanks in advance - Robin
gardenpaws_VA is offline   Reply With Quote