Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating tomatillos.

Old March 28, 2016   #1
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Default Tomatillos in partial shade?

I found this site http://gardendrum.com/2013/01/04/growing-tomatillos/ that says, "They will tolerate partial shade." Most other sites say to plant them in full sun.

Have any of you tried growing them in partial shade? I have some volunteers growing and am going to attempt to move them to an area that gets partial shade most of the day and full sun for about 3 hours.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28, 2016   #2
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
I found this site http://gardendrum.com/2013/01/04/growing-tomatillos/ that says, "They will tolerate partial shade." Most other sites say to plant them in full sun.

Have any of you tried growing them in partial shade? I have some volunteers growing and am going to attempt to move them to an area that gets partial shade most of the day and full sun for about 3 hours.
I did this and that is where my two raised bed are.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28, 2016   #3
oakley
Tomatovillian™

I would give it a go. I have an apple tree that, ahem, needs pruning. It is shading the end of my pea/bean bed most of the afternoon...and shading me in my chair so it stays. : )
I've been putting my tomatillos in the pea bed for a few years now...just let them ramble and they do well at both ends, full sun and part shade...well i suppose the beans shade a bit but not much. When they were rambling in the tomato bed they did get quite a bit of shade and did super.
oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24, 2016   #4
Jeannine Anne
Tomatovillian™

I am curious..for what purpose would you use a tomatillo, could you not use a tomato. eg in a salsa is there a big difference. Is there a recipe that has to be a tomatillo and a tomato would not do.
Jeannine Anne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27, 2016   #5
oakley
Tomatovillian™

Ha, Jeannine, i've been meaning to ask you Canadian questions about certain varieties and vendors, seed suppliers, etc. But i think they would all do well in cooler climates like my MountainTop NY garden.
And bower being in Newfoundland. (another thread for that)

Tomatillos are somewhat thin trailing vines that don't quit. Seem to find their own way and just grow lots of length for me, then come end of August into sept, just full of fruit that ripens fast. Solid firm flesh. Very tart. Very little heat makes a very thick less tart sauce and cooks much like rhubarb. Not watery. I roast them along with toms, onions, hot pepper, sweet peppers in the oven for a 'roasted' sauce. I have even added a stovetop sauce pan of rhubarb and seasoned for a bbq sauce. (rhubarb does not roast so well.)

Even better is similar trays in the smoker for an hour, low heat side firebox style.

Nice tart compliment to the ripe sweetness of a tomato. 1lb to 4lbs toms is about my ratio. Though i will roast/smoke a full tray of just tomatillos with some hot peppers for the freezer in small packets for 'all winter' flavor boosting salsas and various sauces.
Old April 27, 2016   #6
Jeannine Anne
Tomatovillian™

Hi, and thank you for your very helpful answer, it makes a good deal of sense to me now.I can see the tart being useful and I quite like that, I don't like anything bitter though. If I can help you with the questions you were going to ask go ahead but I don't know anything this particular veggie.

Do they get blight, and do they have the same heat needs as tomatoes, or are they better outside. If they really will grow in a less sunny spot I may just have a corner I could try them in.

Thank you again

XX Jeannine
Old April 27, 2016   #7
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

A good way to explain a typical green tomatillo... It's an ingredient like vanilla beans. It looks and smells good and makes other foods taste really good, but you don't eat it alone. Star Anise is another ingredient like that.

I've read that the yellow tomatillo varieties have a pineapple like taste, but I've never seen one much less tried one. I've also read that they go well in salsa and sauces. I personally dice them and add them to my Pico de gallo and salsa.

Here a site that didn't have popups for me that gives recipe ideas for tomatillos http://www.foodnetwork.com/topics/tomatillos.html
Old April 27, 2016   #8
oakley
Tomatovillian™

All my tomatillo seeds are from TomGrowersSupply. I have all except the ground cherry i think it's called. The black/purple did not impress and not as prolific for me but maybe my climate. It did add a merky brown to salsa i did not like. The pineapple is smaller but very prolific....so much fruit but again may be my climate. A bit more 'less tart?' but not sweet.
A very good addition as one would use lemons/limes. Not many savor a lemon/lime like an orange or grapefruit. Without added sugars.

Lemons and limes can be crazy expensive, so a foodSaver packet or 1/2 pint of frozen tomatillos whizzed blender with cilantro and a habanero so handy all winter for a citrus kick to soups chowders, salsa...
Old April 27, 2016   #9
oakley
Tomatovillian™

I should add they don't seed start like toms. A bit like cucurbits that like direct seeding but do fine 3-4 weeks ahead and not a second potting up. I have done both but no real advantage as they get going in warmer soil than toms...
Old April 27, 2016   #10
Jeannine Anne
Tomatovillian™

This getting really fascinating, odd I have never looked into it before. I wonder as they are firm and tart and fairly small if they would pickle whole, they may make a nice accompaniments to something. I think I have seen them in the grocery stores, I guess they could be terrible like store bought tomatoes but I think I may go get a pound and play with them a bit. I guess it is a bot to late to try to grow them and I doubt very much if I would find a plant anywhere.
Old April 27, 2016   #11
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Jeannine, store bought green tomatillos have a lemony tartness. Home garden grown ones we have grown taste a lot better to us. It's comparable to store bought tomatoes vs home grown ones.
Old April 27, 2016   #12
Jeannine Anne
Tomatovillian™

MMM. that's a shame, I will have to wait a long time to try them. I sort of fancied having a go with them picked like I do spiced crab apples
Old April 27, 2016   #13
oakley
Tomatovillian™

In NYC i get decent tomatillos in an international grocery and much better than a grocery tomato. If you see them in husk and firm it would be worth a try from a grocery. They do hold well and much better than 'long shelf life' tomatoes for a grocery market. Probably due to their density in general.

(home grown anything is far superior as we all know)

If you see them in market don't hesitate. Cut them in half and roast cut side up with some veggies...onion, a hot pepper
and garlic for an hour at 325-350. Then whizz in a blender. Or Cuisinart. Nice sauce on chicken or fish. Taste. Too tart add a bit of maple syrup or honey...
Old April 27, 2016   #14
Jeannine Anne
Tomatovillian™

Ok, I am going out shortly, I live in a fairly small town but we might have a bit of luck. My daughter goes to music lessons about an hours drive from here and she favors a specific green grocer over there. It is run my an East Indian family and she said they have all sorts of stuff she has never seen before..do you know if that culture would use them , if so I will try and send her with info, pictures etc t look for them.f
If I do did them and there are different types,)I can always hope) is there anyone better than another.

XX Jeannine
Old April 27, 2016   #15
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

I'm unsure on that one. When I think of Tomatillos - I think of Mexico.