Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old September 12, 2018   #1
agee12
Tomatovillian™

Default Can I Mix Daconil with Homemade Pest and Disease Control Mix?

For pest and disease control, I steep mint, hot peppers and garlic/garlic powder. I then strain that and add eco friendly dish soap, neem oil, baking soda and water.

I also do a Daconil treatment but I should be doing it more frequently.

I am wondering if on some of my sprays, if I can swap out the baking soda for Daconil so that I am getting in a stronger fungal treatment when I do my routine pest and disease control treatment. I don't plan on doing the swap out for every treatment, maybe every other treatment.

Last edited by agee12; September 12, 2018 at 03:28 PM.
agee12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13, 2018   #2
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by agee12 View Post
For pest and disease control, I steep mint, hot peppers and garlic/garlic powder. I then strain that and add eco friendly dish soap, neem oil, baking soda and water.

I also do a Daconil treatment but I should be doing it more frequently.

I am wondering if on some of my sprays, if I can swap out the baking soda for Daconil so that I am getting in a stronger fungal treatment when I do my routine pest and disease control treatment. I don't plan on doing the swap out for every treatment, maybe every other treatment.
Just don't ever mix ANYTHING with Daconil EVER. I can explain why if you want me to.

And always use two sprayers, one for Daconil alone and label that one, and another one just for your homemade mix.

I used two Solo 2 gal sprayers,loved them the best.

Carolyn
Old September 13, 2018   #3
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

http://www.tomatoville.com/showpost....51&postcount=4
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13, 2018   #4
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

I would not unless you have asked specifically what you can mix either with your extension agency or the manufacturer of the products and since one is home made and not a known to them as a control in the field or lab they will tell you no.... the Ph can make a spray totally ineffective or the
other ingredients can have a chemical reaction between the products.. we actually have to add battery acid to make the ph low enough for the spray to work for one of our apple tree sprays.. otherwise we are giving the bugs a bath and wasting big dollars to do so.
Old September 13, 2018   #5
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Personally I would not mix daconil with anything. Curious as to why you make your own pesticide? Also curious as to why you are using neem as well as daconil? Neem is antifungal, so not sure why you need both?
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13, 2018   #6
agee12
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the responses. I was hoping that I can add daconil to the mix because I found myself being reactive when it comes to fungal treatment. I guess I will have to be more vigilant.

I know neem has anti-fungal properties, and maybe I should be using a higher dose but neem has not been effective especially on my cucumbers, although I also won't rule out that it was human error on my part like not treating frequently enough or not using the right concentration.

My homemade pest treatment has worked for me for the past few seasons and if I've had issues then I assumed that it was error on my part. I have sevin powder but I don't want that to be my regular treatment because I have a pollinator plants nearby.

Is there a pollinator friendly pesticide that you recommend? I will use it to treat the vegetables but not the flowers but since the flowers are close by I prefer to do a spray treatment and not dust, although I do use DE.

Last edited by agee12; September 14, 2018 at 09:50 AM. Reason: correction: but neem has *not* been effective especially on my cucumbers
agee12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13, 2018   #7
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
You sure had to go back aways to find that link, but yes,it explains why Daconil should not be mixed with anything else.

So thanks for that.

Carolyn
Old September 14, 2018   #8
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by agee12 View Post
Thanks for the responses. I was hoping that I can add daconil to the mix because I found myself being reactive when it comes to fungal treatment. I guess I will have to be more vigilant.

I know neem has anti-fungal properties, and maybe I should be using a higher dose but neem has been effective especially on my cucumbers, although I also won't rule out that it was human error on my part like not treating frequently enough or not using the right concentration.

My homemade pest treatment has worked for me for the past few seasons and if I've had issues then I assumed that it was error on my part. I have sevin powder but I don't want that to be my regular treatment because I have a pollinator plants nearby.

Is there a pollinator friendly pesticide that you recommend? I will use it to treat the vegetables but not the flowers but since the flowers are close by I prefer to do a spray treatment and not dust, although I do use DE.
I understand. I suggest to try liquid copper as your antifungal. It's what the organic farmers use because it's effective against fungi, and also bacteria, won't kill caterpillars , has residual effect, and is very strong. I always use 1/2 of the weakest recommended strength and its highly effective, on cucumbers too. You can mix it too.I like the Southern Ag brand, I get it at HD.
Daconil is a preventive, copper is both preventive and for control.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14, 2018   #9
imp
Tomatovillian™

Looked this up for you, I've never needed to use it myself.

According to the EPA sheet:

"
Combination Spray(s) with Insecticides
- on
Ornamental Plants
ORTHO® DACONIL 2787 Multi-purpose Fungicide [ORTHO Garden Disease Control]
may be
mixed with
the
following insecticides
for use on
ornamental plants
(at the
label rates
for
both products): ORTHO
Bug-B-Gon
Max
Lawn
and
Garden Insect Killer, ORTHO
MAX
Malathion Insect Spray Concentrate,
or
ORTHO® Systemic Insect
Control."

No other mixtures are posted. Please note the mixtures state for ornamental plants.

Link to data sheet:

https://www3.epa.gov/pesticides/chem_search/ppls/000239-02522-20121127.pdf
Old September 14, 2018   #10
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Glad you noted that only for ornamental plants since I think it's fair to say that most of us don't consider tomato plants or most other garden veggie plants we grow as ornamental plants.

Here's what EXTOXNET has to say about Daconil.

Note just one place makes Daconil and then it is distributed to Bonide and others that sell it commercially.

http://extoxnet.orst.edu/pips/chloroth.htm

If I were to go to the Cornell database for info about Daconil and other products used on commercial fields as well as home gardeners I'd get even more nfo.

Imp,that place that manufactures ALL chlorothalinol is in TX, you are in TX,so why don't you call them,they list their phone number and see what they have to say,especially about tomatoes.

Carolyn
Old September 14, 2018   #11
imp
Tomatovillian™

I called, spoke with 4 different people - up the chain so to speak, as the first 3 had no idea if it would be safe to mix in anything other than water with Daconil. The 4th person said "NO!" to mixing any chemical other than water and even recommended waiting at least 3 days before spraying anything else on the plants. Micheal was most emphatic about both those things.

So, no to the mixing other things in with the Daconil ( other than water, which actually is a chemical it's self).

I would suggest a LOT of caution in using Daconil after I read the info at the link here, too. Daconil is some serious stuff.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chlorothalonil
Old September 14, 2018   #12
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
You sure had to go back aways to find that link, but yes,it explains why Daconil should not be mixed with anything else.

So thanks for that.

Carolyn
You are welcome.
I googled, "Can you mix Daconil with other stuff."
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15, 2018   #13
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by imp View Post
I called, spoke with 4 different people - up the chain so to speak, as the first 3 had no idea if it would be safe to mix in anything other than water with Daconil. The 4th person said "NO!" to mixing any chemical other than water and even recommended waiting at least 3 days before spraying anything else on the plants. Micheal was most emphatic about both those things.

So, no to the mixing other things in with the Daconil ( other than water, which actually is a chemical it's self).

I would suggest a LOT of caution in using Daconil after I read the info at the link here, too. Daconil is some serious stuff.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chlorothalonil
Imp,what the wiki article does NOT address is that Daconil is available to be used at different concentrations, several times higher than I think any of us would use for our garden tomatoes.

And I'm talking about large commercial companies that are hired by farmers, school districts, golf places,parks, etc. that are used not just for tomatoes,since Daconil is not specific for fungal diseases of tomatoes.

Carolyn
Old September 15, 2018   #14
imp
Tomatovillian™

I know that particular article doesn't deal with tomatoes, or even gardens in specific I linked to it as I felt the information was important, though not directly linked to the original question here. Daconil can be a useful product in it's various forms, but as with any chemicals, should be used with the appropriate cautions and uses; labels and data sheets should be read by users before using.