Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old April 30, 2008   #1
CLa
Tomatovillian™

Default Help Identify this infection, fungus or .....

Have a look, this stuff usually pops up somewhere every year here.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ID1.jpg (560.3 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg ID2.jpg (564.8 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg ID3.jpg (130.1 KB, 48 views)
CLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30, 2008   #2
robin303
Tomatovillian™

I like to know also. I have some Green beans and just the lower leaves have that but the upper ones look ok.
robin303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30, 2008   #3
matereater
Tomatovillian™

No idea but, I'm sure someone here will know. usually the first course of action is to pick off the infected leaves and discard so whatever you have does not spread to other plants.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult
matereater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30, 2008   #4
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

How long does the plant survive after you see symptoms like that? Is the fruit affected?

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30, 2008   #5
CLa
Tomatovillian™

Well, trying to remember, I had a plant indoors actually that was loaded with that stuff. Seems like humidity increased the chance of it spreading. I think that is the same black looking stuff that I have now. I could be wrong. Fruit was not affected but it is possible the plant growth was slowed. This one is too early to tell, I'll have to report back in a week or so and see if it is still goin strong. Tomato spotted wilt should cause wilt no?
Old April 30, 2008   #6
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

I was thinking Tomato Spotted Wilt Virus until you said you had an indoor plant with it. I've had a lot of TSWV but my plants have never actually wilted. First I see the black spots on the leaves, usually near the top of the plant. Then it spreads downwards. The growth of the plant is stunted. The first year I had TSWV I was in denial and didn't listen to people who told me to pull the plants. I let a Ste. Lucie plant go on to ripen fruit but they had weird white concentric rings all over and I didn't eat them. If you're getting fruit in good condition with good flavor, I don't think it's TSWV. But looking at the pictures, that was my first thought. You say a fungus. The spots with TSWV don't resemble a fungus. They're not fuzzy or anything that I'd imagine a fungus to look or feel like. I hope you don't have it because there's no cure, not that I'm aware of anyway. Sorry I can't be more specific about it.
Old May 1, 2008   #7
CLa
Tomatovillian™

It could be, but I know there is something similar that creates a blackness on the leaves that is around here also, which doesn't affect the tomato. Question is do I start pulling plants .. heh