Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old May 17, 2013   #196
b54red
Tomatovillian™

I'm pretty sure that is not TSWV. Cut off the infected leaves and spray with Daconil as a preventative.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2013   #197
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilgrimfive View Post
Lee, this year we replaced all the mix in our seven Earth Boxes and I made a few more containers from Firehouse's pickle buckets. This morning I noticed much spotting (see attch) and dying leaves, mostly around the base of the plants. It looks like TSWV, but would want confirmation before pulling the plants...and I have not noticed any Thrips.

The plants were doing well and the onset of this has been very quick. Of the five boxes in the back yard, all of them demonstrate this, some to a greater degree than others. The plants geographically separated on the side house do not as of yet show any signs.

I would appreciate any advise as this year we have invested much time and resources to redoing our garden...and now I'm...heart broken that this will devastate our crop!

Is there yet hope?

Thanks in advance,

Devastated in Texas,

Glen

Looks more like Septoria to me, if so in my garden Daconil wasn't as helpful, but liquid copper fungicide did the trick immediately. Douse it under and over the leaves thoroughly, and coat the stem too. Don't use more than 2 teaspoons per gallon or the new growth will be temporarily deformed, and don't forget to spray only early AM or Late afternoon so the leaves coated won't fry in the sun. it's considered organic, but is a metal.
MArsha
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2013   #198
Fusion_power
Tomatovillian™

Septoria, bacterial spot/speck. Either way, you can salvage the plants by removing infected leaves and spraying to control the infection. A good feeding with a fertilizer balanced for tomatoes will also help.

DarJones
Fusion_power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2013   #199
Keger
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilgrimfive View Post
Lee, this year we replaced all the mix in our seven Earth Boxes and I made a few more containers from Firehouse's pickle buckets. This morning I noticed much spotting (see attch) and dying leaves, mostly around the base of the plants. It looks like TSWV, but would want confirmation before pulling the plants...and I have not noticed any Thrips.

The plants were doing well and the onset of this has been very quick. Of the five boxes in the back yard, all of them demonstrate this, some to a greater degree than others. The plants geographically separated on the side house do not as of yet show any signs.

I would appreciate any advise as this year we have invested much time and resources to redoing our garden...and now I'm...heart broken that this will devastate our crop!

Is there yet hope?

Thanks in advance,

Devastated in Texas,

Glen

I think you are ok, I think you have a little fungus stuff going on. I have about 40 plants like that at the bottom, including hybrids that are resistant to TSWV and they are loaded with fruit. Check out this link http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/v...roblem-solver/

I think it will help you out.
Keger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2013   #200
pilgrimfive
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keger View Post
I think you are ok, I think you have a little fungus stuff going on. I have about 40 plants like that at the bottom, including hybrids that are resistant to TSWV and they are loaded with fruit. Check out this link http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/v...roblem-solver/

I think it will help you out.
Thank you everyone and the aggie link has some good pics!

Glen
pilgrimfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2013   #201
ikegass33
Tomatovillian™

Hey Pilgrim,

I live right down the road near Temple, Tx and your plants look EXACTLY like mine.. When I saw your pics, they were spot on similar. I'm treating with copper right now just like others have suggested. I got the copper concentrate from Home Depot. Maybe if yours improve you can leave a message here. Btw here's the link to my plants from this very forum if you're interested. I will post my plant updates there.
ikegass33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2013   #202
Paradajz
Tomatovillian™

Pilgrim seems like speck,
Ikegass sounds more spot-y.
I'd say copper+mankozeb is the weapon for both.

br,
ivan
Paradajz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2013   #203
ikegass33
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradajz View Post
Pilgrim seems like speck,
Ikegass sounds more spot-y.
I'd say copper+mankozeb is the weapon for both.

br,
ivan
Thanks Paradajz for your input, I have a thing of mancozeb out for delivery to my mom's house as we speak for tomorrow's spraying. I'm just glad it's not the TSWV on my first go .
ikegass33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2013   #204
Paradajz
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikegass33 View Post
Thanks Paradajz for your input, I have a thing of mancozeb out for delivery to my mom's house as we speak for tomorrow's spraying. I'm just glad it's not the TSWV on my first go .
you r welcome, Ike.

by the way, if you ever happen to have some propolis around, mix it with some natural oil, water and dish soap, and try to spray one of those plants twice a week, just for fun.

br.
Paradajz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25, 2013   #205
b54red
Tomatovillian™

I have had two more plants come down with TSWV this week. Both were planted about a month ago and were still very young so they were pulled. So far not a bad year by my standards with this stuff. I have now had four plants die from it which is not bad at all. I usually lose more plants than that every year to TSWV and have lost nearly half my plants some years. I'm hoping the low incidence of this awful disease continues.

Bill
Old June 25, 2013   #206
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by b54red View Post
I have had two more plants come down with TSWV this week. Both were planted about a month ago and were still very young so they were pulled. So far not a bad year by my standards with this stuff. I have now had four plants die from it which is not bad at all. I usually lose more plants than that every year to TSWV and have lost nearly half my plants some years. I'm hoping the low incidence of this awful disease continues.

Bill
Hi Bill,
Yellow sticky traps are excellent for thrips, at least I think they are, because since I started using them I haven't had a single case of TSWV. ( also not one case of TYLCV because whiteflies are also strongly attracted to the yellow color) and leaf miner flies get attracted too, so my leafminer presence is way way down too.
The cards are tied into cage or support with a twist tie.
I'll never garden without them again!
Marsha
Old June 26, 2013   #207
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
Hi Bill,
Yellow sticky traps are excellent for thrips, at least I think they are, because since I started using them I haven't had a single case of TSWV. ( also not one case of TYLCV because whiteflies are also strongly attracted to the yellow color) and leaf miner flies get attracted too, so my leafminer presence is way way down too.
The cards are tied into cage or support with a twist tie.
I'll never garden without them again!
Marsha
Marsha, the last two years TSWV has not been that much of a problem for me. I don't really mind replacing a few plants. It seems far easier and far cheaper than buying and hanging enough sticky traps to help protect well over 50 plants. I don't know where the whiteflies are this year because unlike most years I haven't seen any so far. I do have an abundance of Assasin bugs this year and I am wondering if they are taking a toll on the whiteflies. They must be feeding on something.

Bill
Old June 26, 2013   #208
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Marsha, the last two years TSWV has not been that much of a problem for me. I don't really mind replacing a few plants. It seems far easier and far cheaper than buying and hanging enough sticky traps to help protect well over 50 plants. I don't know where the whiteflies are this year because unlike most years I haven't seen any so far. I do have an abundance of Assasin bugs this year and I am wondering if they are taking a toll on the whiteflies. They must be feeding on something.

Bill
Wow! If that's the case, I want assasin bugs too!
I have 54 plants but you only need to put them out every 4 feet or so to be effective. I get them at Amazon and they are cheap, $13 for 15 and each card lasts the entire season. I get 2 packs to get the free shipping. I know you aren't particularly interested, but if it is OK I am posting the link in case others may be. It cut down on my Neem spraying to almost nothing, so I love them.
Here's the link:http://www.amazon.com/Yellow-Sticky-...y+yellow+traps
Marsha
Old June 26, 2013   #209
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the link. If the whiteflies get bad I may give them a try. That price is much more reasonable than what I have seen before.

I have been really lucky this year so far with pests. Other than a few pickle worms and whatever those leaf eating things are that get on the tomatoes sometimes. I just dusted a few of the lower leaves with Sevin and got rid of them easily. For some reason BT doesn't slow them down fast enough. I had one good swarm of thrips early in the season and really haven't seen any since but I guess a few came in because of the two recent cases of TSWV. I'm hoping the Assassin bugs will hang around. I wonder if they eat spider mites.

Bill
Old June 26, 2013   #210
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Thanks for the link. If the whiteflies get bad I may give them a try. That price is much more reasonable than what I have seen before.

I have been really lucky this year so far with pests. Other than a few pickle worms and whatever those leaf eating things are that get on the tomatoes sometimes. I just dusted a few of the lower leaves with Sevin and got rid of them easily. For some reason BT doesn't slow them down fast enough. I had one good swarm of thrips early in the season and really haven't seen any since but I guess a few came in because of the two recent cases of TSWV. I'm hoping the Assassin bugs will hang around. I wonder if they eat spider mites.

Bill
You are welcome for the link Bill.
You know what I really want in a beneficial is just one kind of bug that eats every kind of bad insect there is, with a voracious appetite, but will go into dormancy and remain in my garden when the food is used up until the next baddie comes around.
Anybody who could GMO that would be a multi millionaire for sure. LOL
I am thinking your bleach spray comes close to being a possible panacea for all the micro-baddies!
Marsha