Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old September 6, 2015   #91
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb_FL View Post
OK - I checked the bag and it fits great. It's a compactor bag from HD. 18 gallon (not 30) - 30 bags per carton.

It is approximately 33" not counting the flap. 2.5 Mil (the husky is 3 Mil but feels much thicker). EB is advertised as 29" - Width is no problem at all.
I would keep the bag folded so approx. 5 Mil. so $.33 each. I think they could be reused.

Here is the link: http://www.homedepot.com/p/HDX-18-Ga...9933/203473002

I wonder if Duct taping would work to keep it in place. That would be the cheapest option.

Here are the clamps (multiple sets) that we bought at least 3 years ago. We bought them when we put in the raised bed and use them to hold down shade cloth. I ended up buying snap clamps for esthetics. And later bought a custom made 12x12 shade cloth held down with bungee cords.

The plastic pieces on the ends break off almost immediately but the spring still works. Mine are outside all the time. I use them now for putting up shade cloth for my seedlings. So I am always putting up/taking down the shade cloth. When not it use, I leave them attached to the PVC pipe so they are always in the element.

The really big ones are useless to me b/c they are so hard to open - need 2 hands. I use the 2 mid size ones a lot for the shading and even holding some of the solarize bags on the EB. The tiny ones I use to hold the drip tubing.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Unbranded...073F/203404716

One thing nice about buying them at HD, is you can see what you are getting. They came in a mesh type bag.

----
On one of my EB being solarized, I didn't have casters - just mover's dolly so it took much more room in the bag and couldn't tie if off - I ended up closing the open side with duct tape so I can give you an idea about how the duct tape works - hopefully not too sticky when I take it off.
-----
RE: Solarizing - my original clear bag started disintegrating on top. It was out there for > 3 months - took it off - kind of a petroleum smell though.

The Husky bags are holding up great. One had a split on top (I don't know why), but I had taken it off and laid it on top with the plastic clamps.

What are you using to hold down your solarizing bags on the EB? That would be what you want to do for the new 'shower cap'.

---
I wrote my planting incorrectly - I plant first then put the cap on. So I have to cut the shower cap first; it's not too hard to gage the cuts when I have an empty EB next to it. I know the directions are to cut and then plant, but my plants are too big for those little holes.
But, you can make the hole as big as you want, right? Mine are 6 week old transplants, about 8" tall. I am using the semi clear bags you get at HD that are very large. I just envelope the whole EB in it after I cut the plants at the base, and remove the showercap. They have held up really well, but I want white plastic for my mulch cover, rather than clear(ish).
Those clamps look perfect, I'll need to get some. Actually I wonder by the time I buy those, snd adapt the plastic bags, and cut a hole for my fill tube, maybe the EB shower caps are cost effective after all. At least they give you a break when you buy in bulk.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6, 2015   #92
kayrobbins
Tomatovillian™

I like to use the bags soil comes in to make the covers for my SWCs as long as the inside of the bag is white. These are a very thick plastic and I can reuse the covers for several growing seasons. I use the self made 5 gallon SWC and get the rubber ring out of the pickle bucket lid to hold the covers on. I made a cardboard template to use to make the covers so it is very easy to make a nice circular cover.

For the EBs at the extension office I made a cardboard template too so it is easy to make covers from the soil bags. I bought 1/2 wide elastic at the fabric store and hand sewed bands that would fit the EBs to hold the covers on. I don't think the elastic will hold up nearly as well as my pickle bucket rings.
kayrobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6, 2015   #93
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayrobbins View Post
I like to use the bags soil comes in to make the covers for my SWCs as long as the inside of the bag is white. These are a very thick plastic and I can reuse the covers for several growing seasons. I use the self made 5 gallon SWC and get the rubber ring out of the pickle bucket lid to hold the covers on. I made a cardboard template to use to make the covers so it is very easy to make a nice circular cover.

For the EBs at the extension office I made a cardboard template too so it is easy to make covers from the soil bags. I bought 1/2 wide elastic at the fabric store and hand sewed bands that would fit the EBs to hold the covers on. I don't think the elastic will hold up nearly as well as my pickle bucket rings.
Where do you get all the pickle buckets?

That's what I did too on 2 EB - mine came from a Perlite bag and also from Pro Mix bags - I can definitely reuse them.

The problem is Marsha needs lots of bags - I think the Compactor bags would hold up for multiple seasons especially if they are not cut.

The clamps can definitely be used for multiple seasons - just sort of esthetics if you care about that.

---
Marsha don't you have any shower caps left over from your big purchase last year? If so, you can wait to see if they do the free shipping in Dec....otherwise add $18.95 for shipping to the price.
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6, 2015   #94
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb_FL View Post
Where do you get all the pickle buckets?

That's what I did too on 2 EB - mine came from a Perlite bag and also from Pro Mix bags - I can definitely reuse them.

The problem is Marsha needs lots of bags - I think the Compactor bags would hold up for multiple seasons especially if they are not cut.

The clamps can definitely be used for multiple seasons - just sort of esthetics if you care about that.

---
Marsha don't you have any shower caps left over from your big purchase last year? If so, you can wait to see if they do the free shipping in Dec....otherwise add $18.95 for shipping to the price.
Yes, I have most left, only used 43, but thinking ahead is all, for when I am out.
Old September 6, 2015   #95
kayrobbins
Tomatovillian™

Barb, I get my pickle buckets and lids from Chick-fil-A. I get them free since they would go in a dumpster. Jacksonville does not offer recycling to businesses. I like the medium green color and after you soak off the labels there is no advertising on them. You have to find an owner that will be willing to save them and be sure that you collect them regularly since they can't store lots of them. I quit counting after I made 200 of what I call Grow Buckets. That is 400 less buckets in the landfill.

They use to be easy to get but since I teach the Grow Bucket class frequently it is harder to get them. I let other people get them in the spring and fall when everyone is thinking about gardening and stock up in off seasons. Right now I cannot get any because the owner has decided his son's school need to get into bucket gardening. I am almost relieved because I am getting tired of making them.
Old September 7, 2015   #96
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

I'm learning so much reading all this. Tomorrow I'm placing an order for 6 white EBs and starting my seeds (finally). Below is my current list (it has changed many times) for fall.

Ambrosia Red
Black Cherry
Brandywine Cherry Dark
Pink Berkley Tie Dye
Girl Girls Werid Thing
Rebel Yell
Sargeant Peppers
Surpriz (or Not Surpriz, not stable)
Anna Russian
Grightmires Pride
Brads Black Heart
Orange Minsk Heart
Cherokee Green
Cherokee Purple (for my neighbor)
Delicious (for my other neighbors)
Purple Russian
Russian 117
Beauty King Dwarf
Brads Beauty King x Berkley Tie Dye (unstable)
Green Zebra Paste
Cherokee Black heart
German Red Strawberry
Gary'O Sena
KBX
Paul Robeson
Azoychka
Indian Stripe Heart
Fish Lake Oxheart
Wildthyme RL Green (unstable)
Big Cheef
Dwarf Purple Heart
Sweet Orange II
Black Icicle
Evas Purple Ball

And some peppers and herbs and lettuce.

I don't have room for all those tomato varieties so some will be planted 6 plants to an earthbox or SWC and pruned to one or two main stems so i can try them out. I did that before and was able to try out a bunch more in a single season that way.

Ginny

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
Fiishergurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8, 2015   #97
kayrobbins
Tomatovillian™

That is quiet a list. It will be interesting to see which ones are your favorite. My Brad's Beauty King x Berkley Tie Die is looking good. I wish it had a real name. That is a lot to get on a plant label.
Old September 8, 2015   #98
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Hi Kay,

Only 6 are repeats... my current favorites which are PBTD, GGWT, Black Cherry, and Surpriz/Not Surpriz which my husband really loves and Cherokee Purple which is my neighbors favorite. Plus Rebel Yell. The seeds I have for Surpriz are not stable and some produce the Surpriz version (bi-color striped) and some produce a blue antho green when ripe variety so i dont know which one I will get until they sprout.

The Brads Beauty King x Berkley Tie Dye isn't stable either so thats why it is just called by the parents names. I'm curious to see what you and I get from that. There are lots of variations possible.

Ginny
Old September 8, 2015   #99
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiishergurl View Post
Hi Kay,

Only 6 are repeats... my current favorites which are PBTD, GGWT, Black Cherry, and Surpriz/Not Surpriz which my husband really loves and Cherokee Purple which is my neighbors favorite. Plus Rebel Yell. The seeds I have for Surpriz are not stable and some produce the Surpriz version (bi-color striped) and some produce a blue antho green when ripe variety so i dont know which one I will get until they sprout.

The Brads Beauty King x Berkley Tie Dye isn't stable either so thats why it is just called by the parents names. I'm curious to see what you and I get from that. There are lots of variations possible.

Ginny
What a nice list, Ginny! Many of your repeats are also repeats for me. Ry, GGWT, PBTD, Black Cherry, and my version of Xanadu not surpriz, which is a brick red interior with dark purple and golden striped exterior, and wonderful sweet complex taste. I got my original seeds from you, I believe they were F3 at the time, so I am growing F4 now. All my 43 EBs are Terra Cotta color, and they are fine. I wouldnt order the darker colors either. I suspect the white won't be white for long.
Old September 8, 2015   #100
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Marsha,

I was wondering about the white. If the terra cotta is fine i will probably order that as I prefer that color.

The antho green when ripe is delicious too. I wasnt sure what to call it. Im planting the rest of the F3 seeds that i got from Laura and when the seedlings pop up i will be able to look at the leaves under sides to see which ones are antho and which aren't.

How many are uou growing? Do you have the possibility of getting the antho gwr variation still from your f4 seeds?

Ginny

Old September 8, 2015   #101
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiishergurl View Post
Marsha,

I was wondering about the white. If the terra cotta is fine i will probably order that as I prefer that color.

The antho green when ripe is delicious too. I wasnt sure what to call it. Im planting the rest of the F3 seeds that i got from Laura and when the seedlings pop up i will be able to look at the leaves under sides to see which ones are antho and which aren't.

How many are uou growing? Do you have the possibility of getting the antho gwr variation still from your f4 seeds?

Ginny

Ginny, I am growing 3. I don't think I can get antho from these. Nor GWR.
BTW-Most of the Xanadu not Surpises have a name now. The trend seems to be to name it after a great artist. I am thinking of a great musician for mine.
Do I see a trade in our future?
Old September 8, 2015   #102
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Oh neat and yes, definitely a trade... :-)

Ginny

Old September 8, 2015   #103
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Back to the EB, then I will read the other posts, but the white is not white white. It does stay clean though.

Ginny - if you like the terra cotta better, then get that; the white stays cool all the time even with the sun beating on it. The TC does not heat up like the green. But don't forget, mine are on my white pool deck with the sun reflecting from the water and I think the neighbor behind me silver metal roof. I think if these were on grass (even the green) would be cooler.

Back to reading the posts.
Old September 8, 2015   #104
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Ginny - a fabulous list! So many new varieties. I love it. Where is SunGold?

I am trying some new ones too; I am trying Big Beef b/c I had a new pack from ParkSeed (when I use to buy all my seeds from them). I planted the seeds b4 I left for NC, but when I was up in NC I was thinking that PS tomatoes never grew well even though germination was great. So I bought more BB seeds from TGS b/c they were in Florida and thought I could get the seeds quickly. So while I was paying the shipping for the BB, I bought 2 Bulgarian varieties (Triumph, and #7), Momotaro, Big Brandy Hybrid and they gave a free one Red Rose which is a cross between Brandywine Sudduth Strain and Rutgers.

I planted a couple of each on 8/27. Germination has been great. I'm glad I tried TGS and will use them again.

Plus the UF ones and new ones from Artisian Seeds which I don't have yet. I was really psyched for them more than anything else, but will only plant the early ones since I have so many seedlings going already.

I have tons of GGWT seedlings going all in the same cell; all ready to be transplanted.

This fall is a lot different than last where I counted on only Kelloggs and Black Cherry for the bulk of my plants.
Old September 8, 2015   #105
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Barb,

Those sound so exciting... :-)

I love Sungold but my neighbor who I got hooked on them last winter has started like 6 or 8 Sungolds already... she said enough for everybody. So i will grow the Sweet Orange II that you sent me and we will compare them to her Sungolds. She stays in Oak Hill for the winter and lives in Kentucky during the summer. I sent her home with about 6 Sungold seedlings when she left last April and she said they ate little yellow tomatoes all summer and with just about every dinner meal... :-)

Ginny