Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old March 28, 2016   #16
BackyardFarm
Tomatovillian™

When I learned that the reason all my seedlings were doing terribly was due to dampening off and not enough sunlight. I have south facing kitchen windows but it just wasn't enough due to the pine trees across the alley blocking most of the winter/spring light before about 11 am.

So now I always remove the cover as soon as I see seedlings poking their heads up, use cinnamon on my seedling trays, artificial lighting 16 hours a day (it's cheap t12 and t8 shop lights I may get some led shop lights next), water from the bottom ONLY, and occasionally using chamomile tea to water. I also use a small desk sized fan to move the air around them to make them strong and keep it from being too damp.

Oh and I learned to feed them with fish fertilizer too! My first two years growing from seed the results were pitiful, weak, and tiny. Many didn't survive.
I was reminded because today I need to mix some up to feed the baby plants

Last edited by BackyardFarm; March 28, 2016 at 11:30 AM.
BackyardFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28, 2016   #17
My Foot Smells
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackyardFarm View Post
use cinnamon on my seedling trays,
wtf? can u expound...

Last edited by My Foot Smells; March 28, 2016 at 11:41 AM.
My Foot Smells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28, 2016   #18
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Foot Smells View Post
wtf? can u expound...

Okay this is the deal cinnamon is a natural antibacterial fungal anti spore type of thing.

Just dump a bunch of it in some bread dough and watch it kill the yeast.
This is where people mess up making cinnamon rolls you have to add more yeast to counter act it so it all doesn't die off.
How did I learn this, take a wild guess.
Everything I know how to do is by trial and error.

Worth.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29, 2016   #19
BackyardFarm
Tomatovillian™

I sprinkle on directly after sowing. Like Worth said it's a natural antifungal and anti mold etc.

If I see mold or anything growing I sprinkle it on immediately, and then make sure to let that tray dry out a little more between waterings. Had zero problems last year just sprinkling it on directly after sowing. This year I had a little mold start in the onion tray (they were seeds from last year and took nearly three weeks to sprout so it stayed very moist in the covered tray), I sprinkled on some more cinnamon and the mold is gone.
BackyardFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29, 2016   #20
Captain Neon
Tomatovillian™

I first started my own seeds because I wanted to grow some specific varieties and didn't want to hope that they would be available from the local nursery. I figured if it didn't work out I could just buy seedlings from the nursery then. I've always had plenty of healthy seedlings.

Those that make it seem difficult are like auto mechanics that scare people away from installing their own wiper blades or changing their own oil.
Captain Neon is offline   Reply With Quote