Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old March 30, 2016   #1
MarlynnMarcks
Tomatovillian™

Default Nematode control

I just received a catalogue in the mail It was from a company called Spray-N-Grow which has a product called "Nematode Control." Has anyone tried it? Does it work?
MarlynnMarcks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30, 2016   #2
4season
Tomatovillian™

Never used that but out of a mix of chicken litter, dwarf French marigolds, and chitosan I don't have problems in that area of my garden. Root knot nematodes egg shells are chitin, adding chitosan increases whatever eats chitin so more shells are eaten before they hatch or whatever they do. There is a thread crab shells in raised beds where this is mentioned.
4season is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30, 2016   #3
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarlynnMarcks View Post
I just received a catalogue in the mail It was from a company called Spray-N-Grow which has a product called "Nematode Control." Has anyone tried it? Does it work?
I haven't tried it b'c there are no nematod problems whereIam,unless on transplants shipped up from the south,, but I do know of the company and have nothing good to say about it.

Have you looked for information in the disease and Pest Control Forum where questions such as yours are usually posted?

In addition,if you do a search here at Tville I know that there are many many threads about nematode control that probably will answer all of your questions from those who have faced the same problem.

Carolyn
Old March 30, 2016   #4
alexita
Tomatovillian™

For anyone wondering, the product's website states it is "Made from saponins extracted from the Quillaja tree" and that it's for "use on lawns to control Anguina pacifica (sic) which is a problem in N California.

Are you having problems with the root-knot nematodes that love our sandy soils? I don't know anything about the product, but personally I wouldn't choose a product to treat unrelated nematodes that attack shoots on lawns for RKN deeper in the soil.

I used to pull up my tomatoes and peppers after I was done with them to count the root knots. After amending the soil with plenty of organic matter, adding chitin (crab shells) and tilling under French marigolds I went from 50+ knots per plant to zero. So I second 4season's solution if you're treating RKN on tomatoes.
alexita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30, 2016   #5
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

Solarization works but the nematodes will come back if you dont use some other sort of control. I have been solarizing my soil for 3 years now and it has helped a lot with the nematodes but all the organic matter I have added is likely just as important.
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote