Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old March 13, 2016   #1
christian1971
Tomatovillian™

Default Any tips on growing super sweet corn

Any tips in growing sweet corn? Thanks
christian1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13, 2016   #2
heirloomtomaguy
Tomatovillian™

Make sure you plant it where you can flood the field for a week or so before they sweetin up. If not the ants will come out and destroy your crop.
“Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it."
heirloomtomaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13, 2016   #3
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Yeah, just before the corn begins to develop, kill every raccoon and skunk within 15 miles of your garden. I quit trying to grow sweet corn because I can't win with the raccoon and skunks around here.

Other than that, I put the seed in the row about 6 inches apart and keep it watered. After that, I do a little hand pollination to make sure that the small crop I'm looking for gets good pollination.

I have a strong attachment to Yellow Sweet Corn - the kind with large deep kernels.
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13, 2016   #4
Scooty
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by christian1971 View Post
Any tips in growing sweet corn? Thanks
Kill all the squirrels.
Scooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13, 2016   #5
JoParrott

The Earwigs are my worst problem.
Old March 13, 2016   #6
salix
Tomatovillian™

Corn is wind pollinated, so plant in 'blocks', not long rows.
Old March 13, 2016   #7
joseph
Tomatovillian™

There are 4 basic types of sweet corn:

Super sweet
Sugary enhanced
Synergistic
Old fashioned

The first three tend to be problematic, because germination can be spotty. Planting treated seed helps. Planting into well warmed soil helps.

I don't like super sweets and synergistic corns, because they taste medicinal to me. I really like sugary enhanced, but don't grow it, because I won't intentionally poison my food, and it doesn't germinate reliably for me without poisons.

So I grow only old fashioned sweet corn. It's reliable, chewy, and not too sweet.

I allow about 2 to 2.5 square feet per plant. Planting several short rows in a block works better than one long row.

joseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13, 2016   #8
Deborah
Riding The Crazy Train Again

Yes, by all means, kill the raccoons, squirrels and skunks for a natural and normal behavior. You're on Ignore.
"The righteous one cares for the needs of his animal". Proverbs 12:10
Deborah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13, 2016   #9
Anthony_Toronto
Tomatovillian™

Joseph yours look great!

Isn't the normal yield only 1 ear per plant? I've tried growing a few times (from seedlings, not from seed (which I gather works much better)), and results were meh, I think most cobs were severely underdeveloped, had corn borers, and none tasted good...much better results driving 10 minutes to a nearby farmer's stand, for great tasting corn grown about a mile away from me. I still might try from seed again one time, just to give it a proper test, but for one (or maybe 2) ears per plant it didn't seem worth the effort for home use.
Anthony_Toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13, 2016   #10
pondgardener
Tomatovillian™

I side dress with a high nitrogen fertilizer, either urea, blood meal or regular lawn fertilizer, applied when it is about knee high, just before the tassels start to emerge.

Old Proverb
pondgardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13, 2016   #11
imp
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by salix View Post
Corn is wind pollinated, so plant in 'blocks', not long rows.

Not an expert, but we grow Mirai corn in 6 x 8 to 8 x 8 blocks. For me, the surprise was from not only getting corn from planting waaaayyy late, but getting 2 tillers per plant, that also produced at least one ear extra on at least one of the tillers- and would have had more ears f not so late. First time for growing Mirai, had eaten it before.

Got 2 ears from each main stalk, for a total of 35 ears that were full sized when the frost hit here. It also will hold in the 'fridge for more than a week without losing the great taste.

I'd suggest waiting until the soil is really warmed up- a lot, then plant. Also enough water and nitrogen because you are basically growing grass.

That late, almost no problem with ear worms, but a drop of mineral oil stops that.

Last edited by imp; March 13, 2016 at 11:55 PM.
imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14, 2016   #12
jillian
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
Yes, by all means, kill the raccoons, squirrels and skunks for a natural and normal behavior. You're on Ignore.
Apparently Deborah, you do not grow many vegetables. Please go feed your rabbits and ignore the rest of us.
jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14, 2016   #13
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Deborah, I understand how you feel. I will PM you tomorrow if possible. I have a very busy day tomorrow as long as I can do anything at all. There are some replies above in this post from people that I respect. I also respect your love for animals.

Some very good people have replied here.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14, 2016   #14
Scooty
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
Jeez, touchy.... I never expected my sarcastic squirrel quip would ruffle some 'jimmys. Squirrels are the bane of any ear of corn in our area. They don't touch anything else (well at least for what I grow).

I'm honestly fine with the skunks. They keep the coyotes from edging further onto our property. The 'coons around here also kill squirrels. The squirrels are more of a problem for our neighbors than us. We don't have songbird or hummingbird feeders but they do. And they also regularly pilfer their concord grape vineyard. Thankfully, I don't grow grapes.

No offense intended on my part. So I hope you don't take it the wrong way. It was meant in complete deadpan jest. Though I'd point out in some parts of Louisiana it would be both "natural" and "normal"..... squirrel backstrap gumbo comes to mind. I didn't find it tasty, but I doubt you would either since you're a vegetarian. Then again, I'm not sure even a lot of hunters find the taste of squirrel "tasty."

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillian View Post
Apparently Deborah, you do not grow many vegetables. Please go feed your rabbits and ignore the rest of us.
I expect that everyone here encounters different problems with corn cause we're all in different areas. In an urban sprawl, you don't have to worry about deer and other large animals. Most cities and larger 'burbs spray for 'skitos [other bugs too sometimes], so late night gardening is usually a lot less painful.

Of course, those in the city and 'burbs have a lot less land than others to plant. So they have more pollination/spacing problems instead of pests. In open plains, no bears to worry about, etc... etc.... Unfortunately, I backup onto lots and lots of woodland, so I get a bit of everything [minus the bears...so far].

Last edited by Scooty; March 14, 2016 at 01:40 AM.
Scooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14, 2016   #15
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Aside from squirrels digging and eating the seeds, I don't have free space for corn. You have to have a minimum, in order to get pollination.
Then after all the work, when it is time to harvest your, they are sold in stores 25 Cents an ear., which are better than mine. hehe
Gardeneer
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote