Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old June 23, 2018   #1
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

Default Loaded With Maters

This is the Early Girl and she's downright loaded. I don't think I've ever had that many on one plant at one time. Credit goes to my sister Pickles because the tomatoes are her project.

That pole in the pic is part of the system I rigged to keep the cages from blowing over. Cages tied to pole, pole tied to the pallets the buckets are sitting on. Works well.

This is the Warrior; harder to tell but it's loaded too. That was a freebie seed year before last. I keep holding my breath against tomato disaster and probably will until the tomatoes are ripe and canned.

Finally, someone here posted about overwintering a pepper in the house and how it just explodes with peppers in the spring when set out. So I tried it with a Gypsy pepper in a ten gallon bucket, pruned it hard in the spring and repotted it. That sucker has been amazing. I was sure sceptical but I'm a believer now!

GoDawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23, 2018   #2
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

They look great, I need to pick a bunch tomorrow and be done with it.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23, 2018   #3
imp
Tomatovillian™

What a terrific job, Godawgs! Looks really good.
imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23, 2018   #4
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

good job both of you. I kept a ghost pepper over the winter and it is also loaded with peppers already. I have never wintered over a pepper either but I sure am this winter with a few more varieties.
Old June 24, 2018   #5
Goodloe
Tomatovillian™

That's a good looking setup. You've got 1 tomato plant per bucket?

~Jon~ Downheah, Mississippi
Goodloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25, 2018   #6
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

Yes, one tomato per bucket. I'm using 15 gallon buckets from the nursery where I used to work. The growing medium is a mix from Bricko Farms that contains their "Compostost. Then it is enriched with Kricket Krap, and dolomite lime. All of this is mixed well with composted pine bark, and aged before selling."

It drains pretty quickly so the tomatoes need daily watering but the mix works well and costs just $40 for a cubic yard. They get fertilized weekly with regular Miracle Grow.

They were started March 19 from seed, out to the front porch for hardening off on Apr 7 and transplanted to the buckets April 21. I think the new T8 lights I just got this year (replacing T12's) have helped get them up quicker. I'm using one daylight tube and one warm tube in each fixture.
GoDawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25, 2018   #7
Goodloe
Tomatovillian™

Very nice. I had 4 plants leftover with nowhere to plant em. Put em in some 5 gal buckets. They're not doing much...

~Jon~ Downheah, Mississippi
Goodloe is offline   Reply With Quote