Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 5, 2014   #1
Ms. Jitomate
Tomatovillian™

Default how to use shade cloth question

My New Girl tomatoes are a bit skimpy on leaves (I am doing three stems on a trellis) and they are getting the reflection from a wall facing west, so they are struggling with the heat when the temperature starts rising above 85 degrees F. I've had to water twice a day. I can get a 70% shade cloth at my nursery, but how many hours should I provide shade?
Ms. Jitomate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5, 2014   #2
lexusnexus
Tomatovillian™

In ground or container tomatoes? Planning next year's garden.

Dan
Old June 5, 2014   #3
saltmarsh
Tomatovillian™

I use shade clothes made from 60" x 20' lightweight polyester fabric remnants. They are cheap when on closeout at Fabric centers and will last for several years. I hem the fabric and sew lightweight denim ties to the ends and middles. By folding it double or triple (30" or 20") you should be able to adjust it to shade the tomatoes during the hotest part of the day (About 2 hours from 1:30 - 3:30). It will also shade part of the brick wall to cool it a little. I use them to keep me cool during the heat of the day and they also let me transplant during the heat of July and August. Claud
saltmarsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6, 2014   #4
Ed of Somis
Tomatovillian™

It sounds like you are in a tight spot. Tomatoes need 8 hours of sun...but do not need to be cooked with reflected heat/light off your wall. I would have to see how your set-up is...but you know what to do.
Ed of Somis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6, 2014   #5
FarmerShawn
Tomatovillian™

How about covering the wall with the shade cloth, or something?

There are more things in heaven and earth than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
Old June 6, 2014   #6
Dewayne mater
Tomatovillian™

I have a south facing high brick wall (side of my house) next to a bed. I'm putting up the shade cloth this weekend, maybe a week too late. I place it to cover the entire bed, but, I make it higher in the back/wall side than in the front. This increases the area of the wall that is shaded and since heat rises, the "hot stone wall" effect seems to be negated. Also, I put it up and it stays up until the season is over. It is far too difficult to manage putting up and taking down to do it more than once, plus maintenance. I use 50% shade cloth, not 70, so I can't speak to that, but as for 50%, it works brilliantly covering full time.

Dewayne Mater
Dewayne mater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6, 2014   #7
Ms. Jitomate
Tomatovillian™

I like the idea of covering the wall. I'll try attaching the shade cloth against the wall with PVC since it's only ten feet wide and see if that helps.

Thanks!
Ms. Jitomate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6, 2014   #8
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

I think covering the wall is your best approach to the problem. the 70% shade cloth is too much shade. Otherwise try a lighter % of shade or use the white shade cloth not black. You won't get any tomatoes if you use it. I tried it a few years ago on a high tunnel and they quit producing tomatoes. It worked well for lettuce though.
Old June 6, 2014   #9
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Something in the 50 to 60% range would work well. Here is a visual idea from last Season to consider:

Worked well here in San Jose from mid-July through September.

Raybo
rnewste is offline   Reply With Quote