Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 13, 2018   #2041
imp
Tomatovillian™

Was just up closing the back door again - it blew open, old latch that trips too easily. The winds are gusty, not too bad, but I am not liking the looks of the sky at all. The sun is getting lower but not setting as yet, but you can look right at it as it is shining through a lot of smoke or dirt, obscuring the brightness and dulling the whole landscape. I get wary when the sky gets weird especially at this time of year.

The birds and the dog are acting normal, so not too concerned, just keeping an eye out for adverse weather that may or may not blow up. It's that time of year again.
imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14, 2018   #2042
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Severe Thunderstorm Warning
Weather Updated: Apr 14 2:51AM
Issued by the National Weather Service
For Aransas County, Texas

SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING UNTIL 3AM CDT SAT ...

A SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 300 AM CDT FOR ARANSAS...CENTRAL CALHOUN AND SOUTHEASTERN REFUGIO COUNTIES...

AT 251 AM CDT, SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS WERE LOCATED ALONG A LINE EXTENDING FROM 7 MILES SOUTH OF SCHICKE POINT TO NEAR KEY ALLEGRO, MOVING EAST AT 35 MPH. HAZARD...60 MPH WIND GUSTS.

SOURCE...RADAR INDICATED.

IMPACT...EXPECT DAMAGE TO ROOFS, SIDING, AND TREES. LOCATIONS IMPACTED INCLUDE... ROCKPORT, SEADRIFT, PORT OCONNOR, LAMAR, BAYSIDE, ALAMO BEACH, KEY ALLEGRO, INDIANOLA, MAGNOLIA BEACH, COPANO VILLAGE, HOLIDAY BEACH, ARANSAS NATIONAL WILDLIFE REFUGE, MATAGORDA ISLAND STATE PARK, FULTON AND AUSTWELL.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS... FOR YOUR PROTECTION MOVE TO AN INTERIOR ROOM ON THE LOWEST FLOOR OF A BUILDING. WIND DAMAGE WITH THESE STORMS WILL OCCUR BEFORE ANY RAIN OR LIGHTNING.

DO NOT WAIT FOR THE SOUND OF THUNDER BEFORE TAKING COVER. SEEK SHELTER IMMEDIATELY INSIDE A STURDY STRUCTURE AND STAY AWAY FROM WINDOWS. && HAIL...<.75IN WIND...60MPH

What is wrong with this weather warning is that the storm is supposed to be north of me beginning around Rockport Texas which is about 10 miles as the crow flies (18 by car).

I honestly wasn't expecting much of anything out of this, but the wind is so bad it has taken our trash can from the side of the house and deposited it in front of the garage door and keeps knocking it against it. It is also raining and the gusty winds are too strong for me to open the door safely. I can't get out the door without it hitting me back. I hope there is not alot of roof and siding damage around here again. Sheesh, can we not get a break?

~Margaret Atwood~

Rockporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14, 2018   #2043
imp
Tomatovillian™

Hope all goes well for you and that you stay safe.

Extreme fire danger here and up into Oklahoma this weekend. The winds and the low levels of humidity, plus the dry spell has made it very worrisome because if a fire starts, it will get out of hand very very quickly in this weather.

Living in a 100 plus year old house makes you fire conscious and wary, even though the bottom floor is real brick ( not facade), there is still a lot of old and very dry wood in this house and neighborhood..
Old April 14, 2018   #2044
bower
Tomatovillian™

Won't be planting or hardening off tonight! Snow covered this morning but will likely melt away in time for tonight's low of -8C/17F with windchill -20C/-4F. brrrrrrrrrr!
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14, 2018   #2045
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Rain lightning and thunder all night long, I loved it.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14, 2018   #2046
Dutch
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for all the updates everyone!
Here in Wisconsin it rained almost all day yesterday with torrential downpours at times. The wind gusts have been strong and seem to be changing directions frequently. The city of Milwaukee has some downed power lines and I suspect that will become more widespread around here before the weekend is over. The rain is expected to change to freezing rain and than to snow later tonight.
I use a propane heater in my little greenhouse and I plan on going out and getting another 20 lb tank filled and some gasoline for my generator before the roads freeze over. The generator for the house hasn't been started for a while. I need to check the oil, make sure it runs and fill it with fuel before the weather conditions gets worse. The rain is fairly light right now so I got to "make the hay while the sun is shining". Lots to do, I'll check in later tonight or tomorrow. Thanks again.
Dutch

The intuitive mind is a gift, and the rational mind is a faithful servant. But we have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift. (paraphrased) Albert Einstein

I come from a long line of sod busters, spanning back several centuries.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14, 2018   #2047
PaulF
Tomatovillian™

Friday Ap. 13 we had temps in the 80s, thunderstorms and wind, but no severe weather (that happened a few miles north of us). Noticed the eighty year old apricot was in full bloom so with the snow, sleet and ice coming today Ap 14, we will NOT have apricots again this year.
Old April 14, 2018   #2048
imp
Tomatovillian™

Be careful, Dutch, MissS and all the other folk in the dangerous weather areas
Old April 14, 2018   #2049
Farmette
Tomatovillian™

We've got some downed trees across the street in the woods. Many small branches down on trees on our property, Its getting kind of scary when having to take our puppy out in the backyard to do his business. Dutch, I am hoping for not too much ice. I remember the ice storm just north of here in 1976, I was teaching in Richfield, my husband in a town 5 miles south. My school was closed for a week, his was open as the line of ice stopped just south of Richfield. Had to live with relatives as we had no heat, etc. My brother is supposed to fly out of Gen Mitchell at 1pm...we shall see.

And then again, maybe we'll have nothing...
Farmette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14, 2018   #2050
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

88F yesterday. 48F now at 11 AM.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14, 2018   #2051
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
88F yesterday. 48F now at 11 AM.
59F here and the sun is starting to come out.
Old April 14, 2018   #2052
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

84 here now with snow on Monday.

Nan
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14, 2018   #2053
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I cant seem to get warmed up today and have been freezing all night too.
Going to take a real hot shower and crawl under the blankets.
This weather change to cold every weekend is killing me.
Old April 14, 2018   #2054
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

It warmed up for about a week, just enough to make one thing spring was finally here, and now the next two nights will have another killing freeze and frost. Normally by now the trees here are green with leaves. Only the earliest trees have bloomed and begun turning green. Most of the them are still bare.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14, 2018   #2055
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

The local ABC weathercast said the number one concern about the weather that people communicated was about tomato growing. "Is it going to freeze/frost my tomatoes?"
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote