Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old February 13, 2006   #1
lumierefrere
Tomatovillian™

Default Ripe when green

I know zip about peppers because green peppers upset my stomach so I stay away from them. However I was under the impression that bell peppers are green and then ripen to red or whatever color they're supposed to be. My neighbor insists there are green bell peppers that remain green. What's the final word?

Barb
lumierefrere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13, 2006   #2
cdntomato
Tomatovillian™

There are one or two varieties bred to stay green (e.g., Permagreen). The rest sweeten and ripen to other colours (red, yellow, orange, purple, etc.). Eating fully ripened peppers does seem to solve the digestibility issue. A friend suffers the green pepper problem as well.

Hope this helps.

Jennifer
cdntomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13, 2006   #3
lumierefrere
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Jennifer. My suspicion is that Permagreen sounds rare enough that it would never be offered in the local nursery so Nancy could have gotten her hands on it. I won't argue with her about it, she's a very nice woman. Just wanted to know for my own edification.

I quite like red peppers and often roast them to put on sandwiches. This is an area I'll have to learn more about.

Barb
Old March 12, 2006   #4
sacratomato70
Tomatovillian™

Default Green Bell Peppers

Hi Barb,
I was reading one of my seed catalogs recently. Stokes Seeds has a variety called "Staysgreen". They claim it's the world's first sweet bell pepper that stays green from August until October. Peppers are medium sized with high sugar content with the flavor of a red pepper. 75 days. Pkt of 60 seeds - $2.50 US www.stokesseeds.com
sacratomato70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13, 2006   #5
lumierefrere
Tomatovillian™

Interesting. Who can tell. Maybe this was the variety she grew out.
Old March 13, 2006   #6
Colorado_west
Tomatovillian™

At market a lady told me she could not eat bell peppers but she could eat the Gypsy pepper okay. Not bell shape but she dragged me over to another stand to show me what they were. Growing some this year.
Colorado_west is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16, 2006   #7
sacratomato70
Tomatovillian™

Default Gypsy Pepper

Gypsy is smaller than a regular bell pepper, but the perfect size for sandwiches and salads. The walls are thinner than a bell which make them easier to digest.

I grew some a few years ago in a container and they were very productive. A nice choice for a mild, sweet pepper.
sacratomato70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2006   #8
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

I am growing bell peppers myself for this reason.

I only really use them in chili, spaghetti sauce, and fajitas. I am no pepper fanatic. But when I want one, I'd rather not spend $2 (!) at the grocery store for a red, yellow, or orange one. The green ones beckon to me with their tantalizing $.69/each price but my stomach tells me not to.

I can certainly understand why ripe bell peppers cost more. I have had 2 full-sized green bell peppers on my pepper plant for several weeks now. Only today was one of them ready for harvest (almost entirely red with a patch of chocolatey flesh). An extra 3-4 weeks means much more exposure to insects, thirsty birds, and disease.

I find green bell peppers to be almost gut-wrenchingly acidic and bitter. But ripe yellow, orange, or red bell peppers really do live up to the "sweet pepper" categorization when ripened and cooked.
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote