Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old December 9, 2012   #16
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

I would mix them with other peppers in our fermented hot sauce, which then gets used to make salsa. The other ideas, especially using it as a dried seasons and the hot pepper jelly, and adding to fruit jelly sound really good, too.
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16, 2012   #17
dustyrivergarden
Tomatovillian™

I mix dried hot peppers with garlic oil and spray on my plants to detour aphids. The rest I mix with the rest of my peppers hot and sweet with some garlic and onion and make a hot pepper relish its killer good...
Old December 29, 2012   #18
Frank Zimmerman
Tomatovillian™

Smoke 'em
Frank Zimmerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4, 2013   #19
WVTomatoMan
Tomatovillian™

What I do is feed them to the Pepper Pack. OBTW, one of the Pepper Pack members made ABTs (Atomic Buffalo Turds - do a google search) out of them.

Good luck.

Randy

p.s. BTW, ABTs are much better than it may seem, but you might want to give them a try with Jalapenos first...or another favorite of mine Jaloros.
WVTomatoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5, 2013   #20
Frank Zimmerman
Tomatovillian™

There is a fellow that makes a slurry (blender) of the bhut, dilutes it with water and sprays it on the undersides of homes. says it keeps termites away. In India, where the pepper comes from, they paint fences with it to keep rougue elephants away. My wife makes me eat it to keep the honey's away.
Frank Zimmerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11, 2013   #21
Calcat36
Tomatovillian™

Send them to me for recycling. I will properly dispose of them with motha earf in mind.
Calcat36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12, 2013   #22
Masbustelo
Tomatovillian™

Frank Very nicely done with the video.
Masbustelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14, 2013   #23
habitat_gardener
Tomatovillian™

I just heard about a restaurant that makes a vegetable dish with ghost peppers in the sauce. The dish is called Devil's Vegetables. Here's how it's described on the menu:

"Assortment of vegetables cooked in a VERY spicy ghost pepper sauce – MUST SIGN WAIVER). FINISH IT & GET UNLIMITED BEER FOR A WEEK!"

http://www.redhotchillipepperca.com/
habitat_gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30, 2013   #24
BarbJ
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone!

I ended up not doing anything with them. Back in post #9 I mentioned my brother-in-law had them green/raw in a smoothie.

Don't know if it's related to the Ghost pepper per se, but a week later he was in the hospital with a bleeding stomach lining problem. Had to have some extra blood added with a transfusion. Seems he was slowly leaking a bit of blood over time. Doctors wasn't sure if it was the peppers, but told him to lay off all the peppers and he did and is fine now. So...Don't have them raw in smoothies!

On a second note, it seems to be a very cold tolerant pepper. I took all my peppers in late fall and put them under our covered patio. As our winter was really cold for our area, most of them did not make it.

However, the Bhut Jolokia was the one out of three total who lived over quite nicely. Lost most of it's leaves, but the stems stayed green and last month it started leafing out and now is almost the same size as last fall. No flowers yet, but I re-potted it into fresh soil so we shall see.

It was the prettiest of all my peppers, lots of lush small bright green leaves and really shiny bright red peppers. I guess I'll just grow it for it's looks!
BarbJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2013   #25
hdrider
Tomatovillian™

The last time I grew them (a few years ago) I would sit down to a plate of mixed hot peppers straight out of the garden. I would cut up and compare the different flavors as well as the heat. The heat of the ghost after a few pieces didn't seem any hotter than the hab's, but the ghost was definitely more pungent in flavor.
hdrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2013   #26
sjoella
Tomatovillian™

Last year, I took everything from sweet banana peppers to ghost and dried them...then mashed them all together creating a really tasty pepper flake that I use and nearly everything! I love it...

This year I will make more. I shared about a gallons worth of the pepper flake mix that folks truly enjoyed. it had a kick. although you can have less hot and more mild for something less deadly

I love hot! This year the mix will be cayenne, habanero, serrano, jalapeno, thai chili, ghost and trinidad scorpions...
sjoella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2013   #27
dahoss2002
Tomatovillian™

Very nice video Mr.Z
dahoss2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2013   #28
ScottinAtlanta
Tomatovillian™

Loved Frank's vid.
ScottinAtlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2013   #29
GnomeGrown
Tomatovillian™

Well done video, Slim.
Old June 1, 2013   #30
afrance30
Tomatovillian™

Ghost Pepper Salsa and hot sauce. Wear gloves when processing super hots!
afrance30 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bhut , ghost