Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old July 30, 2013   #16
Mojave
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolabelle View Post
Cook the peppers in minimal liquid until soft. Chop in a food processor, then run through a food mill with medium to large blade attached. You end up with pureed peppers sans the seeds and skins. Freeze the puree in ice cube trays, then store in the freezer. Pop a few cubes in soups, stews or gravies. You can also marinate meats in it. Food mills run approx. $30.
Now that's a great idea!

When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe.
-John Muir

Believe those who seek the Truth: Doubt those who find it.
-André Gide
Mojave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31, 2013   #17
peebee
Tomatovillian™

That is a good idea--if I had a large amount. I'm only growing 3 plants in pots and while they are good producers I'm not exactly overwhelmed by the qty. They wouldn't justify the cost of a food mill. There has to be a better way to eat these, for all the hype. Maybe they are not growing thicker walls for me, in my area, and that's the problem.
I'll stick with my nu-mex types as they work for me. Except they are not sweet. Oh well.
peebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31, 2013   #18
bower
Tomatovillian™

Peebee, I find that the thinner walled sweet peppers like Jimmy Nardello are at their best when cut into strips and gently fried in olive oil. This softens the skin and also makes them sweeter.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2, 2013   #19
COMPOSTER
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
That dinner looks delicious !
I second that! I'm going to try something similar with Carmen (2 plants growing) and see if I can add something constructive to this thread.
COMPOSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3, 2013   #20
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

I think the ones I ate tonight were Double Delight from Gurney's. I do have some Carmen, too. I drip some olive oil on them, salt, and toast in a toaster oven for about ten minutes.

My peppers are usually not that great, but my mom's garden, which is 1/2 mile away, always has bigger peppers with thicker walls. She uses a lot of horse manure, and the peppers especially seem to thrive on it. I can get a decent tomato plant by just fertilizing the hole I plant in, but that doesn't seem to work with peppers.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3, 2013   #21
nolabelle
Tomatovillian™

I wonder if roasting to remove the skins, then frying would give you what you're looking for in taste and texture with the Carmen peppers.

I tried that with cayennes, but the quantity was too overwhelming to remove the skins by hand.
Old August 5, 2013   #22
ChristinaJo
Tomatovillian™

I am growing Carmen as well. I wasn't too impressed. I think I'm ready for just open pollinated types, so when I find a Keeper,it's just that. I can keep it!
ChristinaJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5, 2013   #23
peebee
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolabelle View Post
I wonder if roasting to remove the skins, then frying would give you what you're looking for in taste and texture with the Carmen peppers.

I tried that with cayennes, but the quantity was too overwhelming to remove the skins by hand.
If I roasted the skins of these Carmens, there would be nothing under the blackened skins--they are THAT thin-skinned. Do you all see where I'm at? Skin so thin that blackening them would be akin to burning them to nothing.
Tried the "gentle frying"--still got nothing but shiny tough puny skin. There's no meat on my Carmen. Weird!
Old August 6, 2013   #24
newatthiskat
Tomatovillian™

All three plants are giving the same thin walled thick skinned pepper? Key is maybe the potting soil is not optimal for this particular plant? more nutrients or more water or less water. Could be you just do not grow a plant again that does not work for you. Cool thing is you have tried a new variety and can say well in to the next one.
newatthiskat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6, 2013   #25
nolabelle
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by peebee View Post
If I roasted the skins of these Carmens, there would be nothing under the blackened skins--they are THAT thin-skinned. Do you all see where I'm at? Skin so thin that blackening them would be akin to burning them to nothing.
Tried the "gentle frying"--still got nothing but shiny tough puny skin. There's no meat on my Carmen. Weird!
I gotcha, peebee. Hopefully you can find one that you like. Good growing!
Old August 6, 2013   #26
halleone
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by kath View Post
I don't cook peppers, so for me, Carmen was great because it was early, had a clean, sweet taste and produced reliably and abundantly. Since I found Slonovo Uvo and Palanacko Cudo, which have all those attributes in addition to thick walls, I don't grow Carmen any more.

kath
So, Kath, where did you find the seeds? I came up with a blank.

So far my Carmen aren't ready yet; maybe that's just OK if they don't get ready. I am a cranky gardener this year and tending to tear out whatever doesn't taste really good. The Shi-shi-to's are being pampered like crazy....
halleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7, 2013   #27
peebee
Tomatovillian™

Shi-shi-toes ARE good, aren't they Halleone? Now THAT'S a thin-skinned TASTY pepper! Soft skinned too. To me, a pepper is either thin, soft, like the shi-shis or thicker like the others. Not a strange thin toughie.

Can't be the potting mix, its the same I'm using in the other pepper pots.

Slonovo Uno & Palanacko seeds are hard to come by; they were offered here once in the Seed section and several members got some; I missed the boat. I wish some people would offer them again later this year because they sound great. Maybe I can trade my left over Carmen seeds?
Old August 7, 2013   #28
halleone
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by peebee View Post
Maybe I can trade my left over Carmen seeds?

I hope we both can find some Slonovo Uno and Palanacko for next year!
halleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7, 2013   #29
roper2008
Tomatovillian™

I grew Carmen a couple years ago. It was a delicious sweet
pepper. Mine were not thick skinned.
roper2008 is offline   Reply With Quote