Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for commercial seed, plant and garden supply sources.

Old January 11, 2009   #16
cdntomato
Tomatovillian™

Carolyn, of course, the USDA has no jurisdiction to mandate use of characterizations outside GRIN. But it seems to me that so many folks with limited resources (read: Glenn) could be using something that has already been well and truly 'hashed out' rather than reinventing the wheel. This is especially true when your inventory often has origins in that very pie and many who form your client base are well and truly versed on this.

Jennifer
Old January 11, 2009   #17
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdntomato View Post
Carolyn, of course, the USDA has no jurisdiction to mandate use of characterizations outside GRIN. But it seems to me that so many folks with limited resources (read: Glenn) could be using something that has already been well and truly 'hashed out' rather than reinventing the wheel. This is especially true when your inventory often has origins in that very pie and many who form your client base are well and truly versed on this.

Jennifer
Give me some examples Jennifer b'c I'm not understanding what you're trying to say that you want Glenn to do that has something to do with what you see as his limited resources.
Old January 12, 2009   #18
Woodchuck
Tomatovillian™

I think it's a shame that descriptions are compromised in favor of basic information that could easily be abbreviated by simple codes and such.

I deeply appreciate the work of Glenn and Linda, they've received the greater part of my seasonal seed order for the past few years...but there's always room for improvement.....better descriptions....and even pics online, at the very least, would benefit us all!

As stated...I order as much as possible from Glenn and Linda....secondly...from Victory....thirdly from Tomato Growers Supply.....Johnny's next...then Fedco.......then I'll suffer to order from others.......I'll only order from Baker Creek when it's impossible to find a variety somewhere else......they've got the most un-professional catalog in the industry...it's a painful read!!!!

Anyway...I suspect that much of what we're seeing in the poorly laid out catalogs is a symptom of the computer age....now...anyone can piece together a catalog...it's too bad...there are many previously well known fairly simple design techniques that would make most seed catalogs much more beneficial to everyone involved!!!!

I'm speaking from years of experience in newspaper layout.

<Woodchuck>
Woodchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12, 2009   #19
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

I think it's a shame that descriptions are compromised in favor of basic information that could easily be abbreviated by simple codes and such.

Glenn did introduce some code abbreviations for leaf form and plant habit and rough DTM in terms of early, midseason and late 2-3 years ago and that's b'c so many folks could not find the basic info about many varieties that he alone lists. But there's a lot more varieties that still need that basic info to be done.

So I don't think it's a matter of compromising descriptions/histories for each variety at the expense of basic info, that's still a goal, but will have to be done
as time allows.

I deeply appreciate the work of Glenn and Linda, they've received the greater part of my seasonal seed order for the past few years...but there's always room for improvement.....better descriptions....and even pics online, at the very least, would benefit us all!

Yes, there's always room for improvements, no doubt about it, and Glenn has said that the next thing he really wants to do is to add pictures at the website, and he even got a camera, etc., but then the ever present demands for getting everything planted for a season, and tending to the birdies in general as well as to hatches and sending eggs is yet another issue to deal with, and so the picture part I'm sure won't be soon.

I don't think we'll ever see a Sandhill catalog that's a glossy, same for Victory Seeds, b'c many folks see such catalogs as being unnecessary duplications of websites. But there are still many folks who don't have computers and there are folks such as me who want to sit comfortably and thumb through a catalog as opposed to staring at a monitor.
Old January 12, 2009   #20
montanamato
Tomatovillian™

I, for one hope Sand Hill never goes the commercial glam route of most vendors...
I like to think of what they do as unrelated to most seed vendors...
If a person can't do a little research on a variety they haven't heard of, they don't want to grow it very bad...Most of what they offer is not "popular" and needs growers...Take a gamble once in awhile instead of following the crowds...
I have a stack of catalogs a foot high so far, and Sand Hill is my favorite by far...Six years of great service with incredible offerings, low prices, high seed numbers and never a back order or wrong variety...
With the poultry preservation and another job, I would be happy if they hand wrote the varities on a paper sack...Oh, and a few minor description "errors" or matters of opinion, wouldn't concern me when they are dealing with the volume of varities they offer...
Sand Hill is special for many reasons, and if they don't fit the mold thank heavens.

Jeanne
montanamato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12, 2009   #21
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

I, for one hope Sand Hill never goes the commercial glam route of most vendors...
If a person can't do a little research on a variety they haven't heard of, they don't want to grow it very bad...Most of what they offer is not "popular" and needs growers...Take a gamble once in awhile instead of following the crowds...

Jeanne, thank you so much for those sentiments b'c I agree completely.

Glenn and Linda are much more concerned with getting varieties out to the public rather than trying to compete with other companies as to so much that they do.

And yes, De Wiese is really De Weese, for instance, which I noted two years ago to Linda, but then errors in names do happen and not always corrected ASAP and I guess she did change it to De Weese at the website recently.

And they do have lots and lots of the newer tomato varieties b/c several of us are continually sending them for trial and some send seeds in large amounts to be offered..

So where's Aunt Gertie's Gold that I sent Glenn several years ago? Long terrible story, and this past year he even planted it on the path he goes on by the house out to the nearest tomato field so, he said, he could water it and maybe even talk to it, and I see its still not listed.

He says it doesn't like the sand, but maybe he accidentally stepped on poor Aunt Gertie.

Try maintaining close to 500 tomato varieties and listing them and selling seed for them that's never over two years old, which I don'/t think any other company can claim, and I think that puts the picture in perspective . At least it does for me. And going beyond that tomato perspective add in all the other crops he raises and tends to and then has to process seed for.

And that's with a full time job as well, but he does have summers off from teaching

And he's one of the very few owners of a seed company who also lists many varieties in the SSE YEarbook, around 600 I think in the 2008 Yearbook.

It was no accident that SSE had a page in the 2009 public SSE catalog featuring him, b'c he has been one of the major consultants to SSE for many many years and has accomplished so much for them.

On top of that they are two of the nicest folks and honest beyond belief in all that they do. I've met Glenn in person, but not Linda, and consider them both good friends.

Who called me on a Sunday after we had that terrible ice storm here to see if I was OK knowing that I had my walker to contend with in any emergency? Glenn.

There's someone who no longer posts here but posts at other places where I post and criticizes me for always mentioning Sandhill as a source of this or that variety that someone is looking for.

So what? I'm glad to mention them any time it's appropriate and I mention other companies as well when someone is looking for a specific variety.
Old January 12, 2009   #22
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

For any that are concerned that Sandhill isn't offering a particular variety, be thankful they are offering anything at all this year.

Iowa had some of the most awful weather during a growing season any area could have short of a hurricane. In fact a hurricane is probably easier than having too much rain ALL summer.

I live due east of Heritage farm but almost next to Lake Michigan. We had a crummy summer, but most of us here in Wi were saying all summer we were glad we weren't Iowa. Many of the Iowa grain farmers had their crops totally wiped out. Besides the early flooding that we had, Iowa got a lot of the rain we didn't get the rest of the season.
Wi-sunflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12, 2009   #23
travis
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by montanamato View Post
Jeanne
I think Victory Seeds has struck a great median between "glam" and basic, both in their print catalog and in their online catalog.
travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12, 2009   #24
Tania
Tomatovillian™

I fully agree with Jeanne and Carolyn. Sandhill is very special and we need to support them as much as we can.

Tania

Tatiana's TOMATObase
Tania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14, 2009   #25
JereGettle
Tomatovillian™

woodchuck,

I am glad you order from Sand Hill, They are great friends and Glenn and Linda are amazing!

They produce my favorite catalog that I receive each year and focus on both me interests! (Seeds and poultry.)

Please get over our stupid catalog, burn it, compost it, whatever. Just enjoy life and dont let a dumb looking marketing tool get in your way.
JereGettle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14, 2009   #26
tomatoaddict

I seriously appreciate the efforts of all the seed vendors. Unless it's a fly-by-night, could care less type of place. I just ordered from Sandhill and yes Jere, I ordered from you too.
Old January 18, 2009   #27
Woodchuck
Tomatovillian™

As is often the case, you're taking constructive criticism personally, both here and at your own forum. I shall do as you suggest. I don't think the catalog is especially compostable so I'll deal with it otherwise!

Actually, I'm just kidding, I'm not going to burn it.

I can say for sure...I'm shocked at your attitude!

Anyway...124 pages..cover-to-cover.. just 27 numbered pages! You can do better!!!!!
It's a catalog, not a coffee table book!!!!!

That's a start!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JereGettle View Post
woodchuck,

I am glad you order from Sand Hill, They are great friends and Glenn and Linda are amazing!

They produce my favorite catalog that I receive each year and focus on both me interests! (Seeds and poultry.)

Please get over our stupid catalog, burn it, compost it, whatever. Just enjoy life and dont let a dumb looking marketing tool get in your way.
Woodchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23, 2009   #28
Gerald51
Tomatovillian™

I hope that Sand Hill is as good as people say, because I mailed my order in with a check on 1/7 and I have not received anything yet. I check with the bank today to see if my check had cleared and found that it has not cleared.

Does orders from them usual take that long?

I'm just about out of time in getting my seedlings started for the spring planting.

Gerald
Gerald51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23, 2009   #29
Dukerdawg
Growing for Market Moderator

Gerald, don't worry. They are not quick with their processing, but the price and value for the money certainly makes up for it. I try to buy seed from them every year, even if I don't need it because I like to support their operation. I wish I lived near them so I could help with their processes, but alas I do not. Have no fear, your order will be processed in plenty of time for seed starting time!

Duane
Old January 23, 2009   #30
Gerald51
Tomatovillian™

I would have felt better if my check had cleared the bank. I'm in the dark zone not knowing anything about my order. Heck, for all I know, my order got lost in the mail along with the check.

I guess that I just feel more comfortable with Pay Pal with instant order confirmation and a email from the shipper that my order has been received. Then another one that it has been shipped.

I need to start my seed by the end of the month. If something has gone wrong with my order I'm screwed!!

Gerald
Gerald51 is offline   Reply With Quote