Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old July 25, 2006   #1
Woodenzoo
Tomatovillian™

Default Are these BLT material?

I'm finally getting a few ripe tomatoes!
(At least I think they are ripe! ) I found these while I was out tying up some plants.

Back row left to right: Azoychka, Black Krim and Cherokee Purple
Front: one Riesentraube, Red Currants, and a lone Coyote
Do the tomatoes in the back row look about right for what they are supposed to be? First time for growing different colors and wasn't real sure, and the Black Krim is smaller and not as dark as I was expecting...
And back to the question.... are the 3 of them good candidates for BLT's??? Or best served drizzled with olive oil and sprinkled with basil? :wink:
Cathy
Woodenzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25, 2006   #2
travis
Tomatovillian™

I had no idea Azoychka went that big ... I guess I just assumed from TGS's blurb that it was a "small yellow beefsteak" and would just barely be pushin' half a pound.

Are all the Azoychka's that smooth and clear lookin'? Do they generally run that size? That free pack of seeds from 2005 catalog order is goin' in the ground next year.

PV
travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25, 2006   #3
Woodenzoo
Tomatovillian™

PV,
I'm sorry! I didn't include the 'mandatory' quarter in the first picture. Here it is again, with a half turn to the azoychka and the riesentraube making 'room' for the quarter!

It's my first Azoychka, but don't think it's that big. I'd say it's a small to medium beefsteak size (along with the cherokee purple). The other two near ripe are about the same size. There are a few others, but they are still small and may have some growing to do yet. Doesn't seem to be a big producer, but then I am growing it in a 5 gal. grow bag.
Just wanted to set my records straight!
Cathy
Woodenzoo is offline   Reply With Quote