Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 19, 2020   #376
NicolasGarcia
Tomatovillian™

Thank you very much for the report, it is very detailed, great work, I also love that you liked some Spanish varieties, I would like you to try "Verde de las landas" and "rosao de ayerbe" some year, I think you will love them, If you had no seeds, happy to send you.
Thank you

Nico.
NicolasGarcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19, 2020   #377
Whwoz
Tomatovillian™

Nico, the season was not long enough for Verde de Las Landes to ripen properly, far to much rain and cloud in what was our wettest summer for a long time. Need to check the other one to see if I have seed
Whwoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2020   #378
Whwoz
Tomatovillian™

Garden of Woz Summary Part2 11/5/2020
Saffron:
Wound up with 6 flowers this year with plants in foam boxes and big pots. Will be extending what is currently a garden for native pollinators and the Saffron will have a permeant place in that bed.
Kang Kong:
Only had three plants of this this year and they did tolerably well considering the season was cooler than ideal for them. The plants flowered but have not set seed.
Beans:
Bonaparte: Dwarf Bush, less than knee high, 400mm/16 inches would pull them up I think. Two punnets of seedlings that went in late after the first lot of sugar snaps came out, produced very well even if only for about 6 weeks due to timing of planting. Lots of old pods on them still for seed collection.
Windsor Long Pod: Long time family favourites, were planted as seed at the same time the Bonaparte’s went in as seedlings. Delayed there crop even more to the point where we only got three or four picks off them before they toughened up. Lots on the plants still for seed.
Some more comments on the Ramallet Tomatoes:
Bombetta: The smallest of the three grown this year, only One plant grown, produced a good crop under the environmental conditions that were well short of ideal for this type of tomato from what I understand. Definitely a favourite of the Daughter. Think large pointed cherry in size.
Ibiza Blanca: Medium sized of the three grown this year, probably best described as 40 to 50 mm across, typical saladette size to my thinking. Best tasting to me. Lightest yielding, but still no slouch in production.
100: A real mind blower to see the fruit clusters in the flesh. Multifloral, capable of setting upto 30 fruit in a cluster, with each plant producing upto 7 or 8 clusters this year under non-ideal conditions. Would love to see this plant grow under a good long summer. Largest fruit on each cluster upto 100 mm x 80 mm in size. Shape is unusual in that looking down on top of the fruit it appears partially lobed. Must get photo for clarity
Old May 11, 2020   #379
NicolasGarcia
Tomatovillian™

Whoz, thank you very much for your report of the ramallet tomatoes, I'm very glad you liked it.This year I follow a line f2 of a white ibiza cross and hang 100, look for a potato leaf with the flavor of white ibiza, and multiflora like hanging 100, right now they are starting to have tomatoes, it will be fun, I hope to get something interesting

Nico.
NicolasGarcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2020   #380
Whwoz
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicolasGarcia View Post
Whoz, thank you very much for your report of the ramallet tomatoes, I'm very glad you liked it.This year I follow a line f2 of a white ibiza cross and hang 100, look for a potato leaf with the flavor of white ibiza, and multiflora like hanging 100, right now they are starting to have tomatoes, it will be fun, I hope to get something interesting
Looking forward to hearing of progress of this line Nico.
Old May 28, 2020   #381
Whwoz
Tomatovillian™

Harvested seed out of Zucchinis off two separate plants from the cross that Mcsee's wife did today. Kept about 40 or so from one zucchini off each plant. Should be more than enough F2 seed. Will be interesting to see what diversity comes out next season.
Old May 28, 2020   #382
mcsee
Tomatovillian™

We saved fruit for seed, but what we got out of it was virtually just skins, so we'll start again with F1 seed next season. We'll be looking for the elusive plant with the light green skins that showed up in Tasmania. We will only grow the one variety this time, so no cross pollination occurs. They certainly produced plenty of fruit over the season.
mcsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25, 2020   #383
Whwoz
Tomatovillian™

The first signs of spring are about at the garden of Woz. The jonquils are flowering around the place, mainly in paddocks all over, not here in the garden, cannot stand the smell, daffodils, tulips and gladioli are starting to shoot and the first 24 lots of tomato seed have said hello to the seed raising mix today. Will make the heat mat tomorrow along with another 24 plus some capsicums depending upon space available.

Mcsee still tossing up if I will go back to F1 or start some F2 of the Zucchini cross. Wouldn't mind finding another with a longer stem, certainly made picking the few that I got off that plant easier and less chance of damage to stem end of fruit if it does not break where I want it too.
Old July 25, 2020   #384
mcsee
Tomatovillian™

Woz - I'm just waiting for this cold snap to be over, then introduce my tomato seedlings to being off the heat mat and just reliant on heat/light through the plastic of the greenhouse.

When this happens I'll start my Zucchini Cross seedlings on the heat mat.
Old July 25, 2020   #385
Whwoz
Tomatovillian™

Your conditions allow you to be a bit ahead of me Mcsee. Very light frost here this morning. I really need to get a second heat mat sometime to allow me to pot up and move on while getting the next crop going
Old July 25, 2020   #386
mcsee
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whwoz View Post
Your conditions allow you to be a bit ahead of me Mcsee. Very light frost here this morning. I really need to get a second heat mat sometime to allow me to pot up and move on while getting the next crop going

Do you sow your seeds in seed trays. I use 4 X tray Heat Mats.
Old July 25, 2020   #387
Whwoz
Tomatovillian™

Yes Mcsee, I use trays and have a 2x tray heat mat which sits inside a small polycarbonate hot house on the east side deck.
Old July 27, 2020   #388
Whwoz
Tomatovillian™

Have managed to squeeze 72 tomato varieties and 14 capsicum and chilli varieties onto the heat pad. Maybe more to come as still expecting a swap package or two to turn up with at least one lot needing to be woken up from old seed.
Old July 27, 2020   #389
mcsee
Tomatovillian™

Must have been a tight squeeze Woz, you may be better using cell trays. How many of each do you grow?
Old July 27, 2020   #390
Whwoz
Tomatovillian™

Numbers vary Mcsee, some varieties there are only two or three of, others up to 20 depending upon how many people I will be passing them onto. In between the 24 cell trays that I have which are long and narrower than a standard punnet tray, plus some multi-cell punnets, that fills the heat mat nicely.