Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old September 7, 2019   #1
Greatgardens
Tomatovillian™

Default Iron Lady vs Stellar?

Both Iron Lady and Stellar are resistant to LB plus "intermediate resistance" to EB and Septoria. I've grown both, and in my very limited experience, Stellar was much more resistant to Septoria than IL, but they were grown in different years. I don't remember too much about IL, but Stellar was a great plant as regards foliage diseases.

Perfect shape, virtually no cracking, good flavor, good shelf life, BUT (and you knew there would be a BUT) -- it is not as juicy as I'd like. It is NOT dry or mealy, but not really too juicy either. That certainly can be an advantage, but for eating fresh, I'd prefer more juice.

Has anyone else grown either of them recently, especially IL? What was your experience? What flaws did you find? I plan to grow both next year, but that's a long way off.

-GG
Greatgardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13, 2019   #2
rockman
Tomatovillian™

I grew iorn lady 6 yrs ago. They were advertised in the totally tomato catalog as resistant to about everything. They started out short stocky plants loaded with nice 3 to 3 and 1 half in. When they started to turn, on came the early blight. They had an orange color and wouldn't ripen. Leaves were mostly gone. I didn't have anything left for the late blight. I called Cornell University who developed the variety. I sent pictures and the person agreed I had the blight. He said at that time the plant could tolerate a little anything but not resistant to anything. Today I see the same advertisement. That yr. I planted all iorn ladies thinking I would not be seeing the blight. Very wrong. Haven't tried since. This yr. I have a decent crop of Park Whoppers and Big Beefs.Things are changing. Used to I grew Celebrities, Jet Star, Super Sonics and Rutgers. Had good luck. Now I don't put a plant in the ground till June because of the cool damp nights in may. Still looking for that perfect plant! Good Luck, rockman
rockman is offline   Reply With Quote