Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old September 12, 2019   #46
tryno12
Tomatovillian™

cl, some are more flattened and a bit ribbed at times.They do get jet red and produce ok. The only reason i grow them is for an early tomato - there is too much and to tough a skin for me.
Pete

Last edited by tryno12; September 12, 2019 at 11:51 PM. Reason: incomplete
tryno12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13, 2019   #47
zipcode
Tomatovillian™

I have been one of those disappointed. I'm sure the potential is there, Akmark wouldn't grow them quite large scale commercially if they weren't special.

But I think to reach that potential is not for every garden and you need more controlled conditions (especially in terms of nutrient/water).
zipcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13, 2019   #48
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipcode View Post
I have been one of those disappointed. I'm sure the potential is there, Akmark wouldn't grow them quite large scale commercially if they weren't special.

But I think to reach that potential is not for every garden and you need more controlled conditions (especially in terms of nutrient/water).
The first part is correct bro, the latter not so much. Those are grown outside in AK too, it is my top selling plant start next to Sun Gold. You guys are passing around unstable seed sent out by Cole Robbie.
AKmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14, 2019   #49
Tomzhawaii
Tomatovillian™

Default Unstable ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKmark View Post
The first part is correct bro, the latter not so much. Those are grown outside in AK too, it is my top selling plant start next to Sun Gold. You guys are passing around unstable seed sent out by Cole Robbie.
Aloha,
This is unsettling for me. I am in the glory of finally getting Mat Su Express to grow along with Big Cheef. I do have Tennessee Suited doing well too.
I have been waiting to show and be proud of these MSE. Dang ya'all....
AK Mark,
Please don't tease us anymore. I'm dying to see this tomato in Hawaii.
Aloha,
Tom
Tomzhawaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14, 2019   #50
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

Quote:

My seeds were from Cole Robbie's first sharing of seeds, and they were great tomatoes. The next two generations of my own saved seeds have gone downhill, they are lumpier, smaller, not as good tasting. I also received seeds from Marsha, grew them the second year along side CR's seeds, and though not a lot of difference, CR's were larger plants and tomatoes better for me. Although with only 2 plants each growing in sub-prime conditions, it's not conclusive. I wasn't clear whether Marsha received a different generation/selection from you, or whether her seeds were from Cole Robbie. It does sound like the preferred traits were not yet solidly fixed in the early releases.

Since there are so many of us panting for the real deal, have you thought about maybe releasing seeds through a few of the smaller seed companies like Heritage Seed Market, Sample Seed Shop, Victory Seeds, etc. where we could be sure of getting the true version?

ddsack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14, 2019   #51
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddsack View Post
My seeds were from Cole Robbie's first sharing of seeds, and they were great tomatoes. The next two generations of my own saved seeds have gone downhill, they are lumpier, smaller, not as good tasting. I also received seeds from Marsha, grew them the second year along side CR's seeds, and though not a lot of difference, CR's were larger plants and tomatoes better for me. Although with only 2 plants each growing in sub-prime conditions, it's not conclusive. I wasn't clear whether Marsha received a different generation/selection from you, or whether her seeds were from Cole Robbie. It does sound like the preferred traits were not yet solidly fixed in the early releases.

Since there are so many of us panting for the real deal, have you thought about maybe releasing seeds through a few of the smaller seed companies like Heritage Seed Market, Sample Seed Shop, Victory Seeds, etc. where we could be sure of getting the true version?
I am at F9-10, I still get some segregation with flavor. This year all seed came from two plants out of a couple hundred. I am not going to send it to seed banks, but I will share seed with you peeps from TV. I am feeling pretty good about releasing it next year. I did send out seed to a couple of people just to try, so no telling what it became. No worries, we got this.
Old September 14, 2019   #52
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddsack View Post
My seeds were from Cole Robbie's first sharing of seeds, and they were great tomatoes. The next two generations of my own saved seeds have gone downhill, they are lumpier, smaller, not as good tasting. I also received seeds from Marsha, grew them the second year along side CR's seeds, and though not a lot of difference, CR's were larger plants and tomatoes better for me. .....
This was my exact experience. The first time growing, they were great, productive, about 5 oz, etc. Then the 2 seasons growing from my saved seeds experience was much smaller tomatoes and similar to ddsack.

2018-19 season I also went to Marsha for seeds and even those were not like the first time I grew it. From Marsha's seeds, I did have 1 large tomato but others were really flat and for a slicer there was a top and a bottom and no slices in between.

I thought it was just growing in a different climate.

AKMARK - Let me know if you would like me to grow out a few plants from the F9-F10 seeds. My season starts now.
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14, 2019   #53
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
I am at F9-10, I still get some segregation with flavor. This year all seed came from two plants out of a couple hundred. I am not going to send it to seed banks, but I will share seed with you peeps from TV. I am feeling pretty good about releasing it next year. I did send out seed to a couple of people just to try, so no telling what it became. No worries, we got this.
ahhh, that explains why I have a less than expected product. I am willing to give it another try and pop you postage whenever you have seeds if you or when you are prepared to share. thanks ever so much for the explanation.
Old September 14, 2019   #54
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by clkeiper View Post
ahhh, that explains why I have a less than expected product. I am willing to give it another try and pop you postage whenever you have seeds if you or when you are prepared to share. thanks ever so much for the explanation.

Ditto!
Really appreciate the dedication with which you work to improve your varieties in development plus your explanations of your growing techniques. Will bide my time until you are ready!

ddsack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14, 2019   #55
Greatgardens
Tomatovillian™

Hi Pete-

It's really hard to say if they look the same from the pics. I'd say the fruit looks the same. That second pic looks like the foliage is somewhat sparse, but that could be because you planted yours earlier. Mine is quite bushy, with really big leaves. I'm happy with mine -- seed from Marsha (2019). But I'd be even happier if my fruit looked like yours (and everything else was the same).

edit: I should also add in the "plus column" that my MSE have a fairly small core.

-GG

Last edited by Greatgardens; September 16, 2019 at 06:59 AM.
Greatgardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15, 2019   #56
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatgardens View Post
Hi Pete-
It's really hard to say if they look the same from the pics. I'd say the fruit looks the same. That second pic looks like the foliage is somewhat sparse, but that could be because you planted yours earlier. Mine is quite bushy, with really big leaves. I'm happy with mine -- seed from Marsha. But I'd be even happier if my fruit looked like yours (and everything else was the same).
If you guys want larger fruit, cross MSE with your favorite pink beefsteak and grow the F1. Just sayin, you will be ultra happy
Old September 15, 2019   #57
tryno12
Tomatovillian™

Yo GG, my seed was from Marsha also...........
tryno12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10, 2019   #58
2mnyrzs
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
I was eagerly anticipating the newest release/sharing of your newest generation of my favorite tomato, Mat Su Express! Now with Tomatoville closing down, I'd like to know if it will still be available to members. This is such a perfect tomato, thank you for your work in developing it!
Sue
2mnyrzs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10, 2019   #59
JosephineRose
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mnyrzs View Post
I was eagerly anticipating the newest release/sharing of your newest generation of my favorite tomato, Mat Su Express! Now with Tomatoville closing down, I'd like to know if it will still be available to members. This is such a perfect tomato, thank you for your work in developing it!
Sue

Second this. I would like to try your new generation in 2020, if available.

I have a new growing location at my new home in raised beds completed this year.
JosephineRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10, 2019   #60
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

You guys can find me on FB. Just ask and I will try to get some seed out. I have expanded the GH operation quite a bit, lots of cool stuff going on. Look up Alaska Mid-Valley Greenhouse Tomato Fort, we started this up so people can communicate, and keep in the loop. Cheers ya all