Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Have a favorite recipe that's always a hit with family and friends? Share it with us!

Old April 11, 2017   #2176
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Homemade leek and potato soup tonight!

~Margaret Atwood~

Rockporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11, 2017   #2177
SteveP
Tomatovillian™

I used the leftover ham bone with plenty of ham intact and made a pot of ham n beans yesterday. Paired it with some Hatch chili cornbread. Had a big bowl for last nights dinner and repeated the process for lunch today.
SteveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11, 2017   #2178
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I want a ham bone.

Tonight I had a wee fried fish sandwich and that is it.
I looked at my stomach today and it is going down big time but not starving either or eating rabbit food.
I fried two for tomorrows break and lunch sandwiches.
For afternoon break and the ride home I ate the rest of the cold rice with my fingers.

Worth
Old April 11, 2017   #2179
AlittleSalt
Tomatovillian™

I think I'm losing weight too. I've been a lot more active, sweating out in the sun, and eating better.

After looking at heart healthy foods and lower sodium foods online - you can eat a lot of fruit and vegetables that will help lower your sodium intake. And as my name her suggests, I do like a little salt but not a lot of it. Those are my thoughts and tastes - I don't want to sound like I'm trying to sell a diet or anything like that.
Old April 11, 2017   #2180
Deborah
Riding The Crazy Train Again

Leek and potato soup??? Homemade??? And your address is???
"The righteous one cares for the needs of his animal". Proverbs 12:10
Deborah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11, 2017   #2181
Deborah

PB&J. Coke. Tired. Spent the day with a severely neglected patient. Drained. Her "caregivers" disgust me.
Old April 11, 2017   #2182
Deborah

Hey! I just remembered I bought a chocolate cream pie! I'm gonna be OK!
Old April 11, 2017   #2183
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

I finally purchased one of those small "wants" of mine -- a tortilla press!

I'm so sick of nasty, rubbery supermarket tortillas, and visiting the nearest Mexican grocery store requires a drive about 15 miles up the interstate, battling through the city traffic, and circling city blocks in search of a legal parking spot.

With $20 for a press and $2 for a bag of Maseca corn masa flour available at the local grocery store, I can make a ton of tasty, fresh tortillas!
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11, 2017   #2184
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
Leek and potato soup??? Homemade??? And your address is???
LOL, it's so easy peasy to make. Need a blender or an immersion blender. I prefer my immersion blender over a regular one. It seems using a vitamix makes the potatoes too pasty. An immersion blender just seems to blend them perfectly.

You could go the expensive and ultra fattening way here.
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/a...o-soup-recipe/

Or, you can do it my way. We like it and it doesn't need any cream.

Leek and Potato Soup

Ingredients

2 leeks (white and pale green parts only) cut lengthwise, then thinly sliced
4 tablespoon unsalted butter
3-4 russet potatoes, washed, peeled and diced.
3-4 cups or so of unsalted chicken broth or water, or a combination (home made broth is best, of course). You only need enough chicken broth to cover the cooked leeks, and the diced potatoes after you add them to the cooked leeks.

Directions

Note: To clean the leeks, cut the bottoms and the big green leaf portion off. Set aside the green leaf portion, you are going to use the very bright green inside parts of the leak in the soup. Cut the pieces in half and wash out the sand from between the layers, drain. Peel the thick and hardened layers of greens off the middle shoot very bright green part and toss.

Cut the halved leeks in half again, then chop them into small thin strips for cooking. Do the same with the inner green stem, cut them in half and chop them into thin strips for cooking.

Melt butter in heavy large saucepan over medium heat. Add leeks; stir to coat with butter. Cover saucepan, cook stirring occasionally until leeks are tender, about 10 minutes.

Add diced potatoes, stir well to coat with butter. Cover and cook until potatoes begin to soften, stirring often, about 5 minutes.

Add liquid. Bring to boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer until vegetables are very tender, about 20 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool enough to blend.

Puree soup in batches in processor until smooth, or use an immersion blender directly in the pot. Thin with additional broth if soup is too thick, add a little at a time.

This soup can be very smooth or chunky as you prefer.

Season well with fresh ground pepper and a little salt if you'd like salt.

No salt added during cooking. I prefer to add it later to my bowl.

Serve with side salad and salmon. Or, add some chunks of ham to add a bit more flavor, and salt.

If you want the cream in your soup you can serve it up in your bowl or cup and do a swirl of cream into your soup. Serve hot or cold.

Note:

So, the trick to mine is to play with your ratio of leeks and potatoes to get a very flavorful soup. The leeks should be large enough that you can't fit your hand around one. That's a medium sized hand that is.

If you use way too many potatoes you won't taste the leeks. So, after you chop your leeks and start the cooking process take a look at how much is in the pot. When you add potatoes after the leeks are cooked don't let the potatoes take up more space than the leeks did before cooking. I always encourage more leeks than potatoes for the flavor since the fat in the recipe has mostly been removed.

~Margaret Atwood~

Last edited by Rockporter; April 12, 2017 at 12:40 AM. Reason: Added info
Old April 11, 2017   #2185
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™

I LOVE potato leek soup, and if the leeks aren't too pricey I'll make some shortly.

Tonight, corn bread embedded with the last big Apple Pimento pepper and two of these small Jay's Peach Ghost Scorpion nuclear! peppers. Big cast iron skillet heated in the oven, oil added, then batter so that it crisps on the bottom.

Unfortunately I used the last of the slightly-off milk so I have to eat it by the slice. Terrible terrible.

Stupidity got us into this mess. Why can't it get us out?
- Will Rogers

dmforcier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11, 2017   #2186
Deborah

Thanks Rockporter! Now that's something I KNOW I'll make. Probably in the chilly, delicious fall. Can anyone actually see me making this? But I'll surprise ya!
Old April 11, 2017   #2187
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

removed

~Margaret Atwood~

Old April 11, 2017   #2188
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Thanks Rockporter! Now that's something I KNOW I'll make. Probably in the chilly, delicious fall. Can anyone actually see me making this? But I'll surprise ya!
You're welcome!

So, the trick to mine is to play with your ratio of leeks and potatoes to get a very flavorful soup. The leeks should be large enough that you can't fit your hand around one. That's a medium sized hand that is.

If you use way too many potatoes you won't taste the leeks. So, after you chop your leeks and start the cooking process take a look at how much is in the pot. When you add potatoes after the leeks are cooked don't let the potatoes take up more space than the leeks did before cooking. I always encourage more leeks than potatoes for the flavor since the fat in the recipe has mostly been removed.

~Margaret Atwood~

Last edited by Rockporter; April 12, 2017 at 12:13 AM.
Old April 11, 2017   #2189
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:

Deleted

~Margaret Atwood~

Last edited by Rockporter; April 12, 2017 at 12:14 AM.
Old April 12, 2017   #2190
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmforcier View Post
I LOVE potato leek soup, and if the leeks aren't too pricey I'll make some shortly.

Tonight, corn bread embedded with the last big Apple Pimento pepper and two of these small Jay's Peach Ghost Scorpion nuclear! peppers. Big cast iron skillet heated in the oven, oil added, then batter so that it crisps on the bottom.

Unfortunately I used the last of the slightly-off milk so I have to eat it by the slice. Terrible terrible.
I usually pay around $2.49-$3.00 for two leeks per bundle. Of course, if the leeks are small then I have to buy two bundles to make one recipe. I just blow it off though, because we really like this soup and I make it often. It freezes well in a mason jar, just thaw in the refrigerator for next day eating.

~Margaret Atwood~