Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old March 29, 2009   #1
vermiit
Tomatovillian™

Default Why do my starts NEVER look like the ones from the Nursery??

I was rather proud of my little starts. But I stopped by the nursery, and talk about starts! The very leaves look thicker, and so robust, like steriods! Of course, I couldn't resist, and even bought a duplicate of my own start, because it looked so magnificent. And to also see the difference as the season goes on...
vermiit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29, 2009   #2
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

Probably greenhouse culture and fertilizer!
Old March 30, 2009   #3
pooklette
Tomatovillian™

Mine never look as good as the nursery starts. Theirs are always stockier and fuller. I'm thinking my starts need more light than they're getting.

ETA: Mine catch up to the nursery plants once planted out though. Within a few weeks, they too start to look like real tomato plants. LOL
pooklette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30, 2009   #4
fourtgn
Tomatovillian™

Maybe theirs are just older? Transplanted with the stem buried so they seem shorter and younger? Just guessing. I don't know.

Fulenn
fourtgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30, 2009   #5
Mischka
Tomatoville® Administrator

Commercial growers have many processes in place to produce lush, deep green, sturdy looking plants.

All aspects of their growing environment are controlled and easily adjusted and manipulated as needed; air temperature, humidity, potting mix temperature, light exposure time and nutrient uptake, just to name a few.

There is a trick that you can use to get your seedling stems to be thicker, like theirs are. Get a soft bristled sweeping brush and lightly brush the tops of the seedlings several times in succession a couple of times a day.

It works.

You can also do the same thing using an electric fan set on low, just be sure not run it for more than 10 minutes each treatment. This can also dry out your growing medium quicker, so be sure to check it often.

I've used both methods and others here do, too.

One last word of farewell, Dear Master and Mistress.

Whenever you visit my grave,

say to yourselves with regret

but also with happiness in your hearts

at the remembrance of my long happy life with you:

"Here lies one who loved us and whom we loved."

No matter how deep my sleep I shall hear you,

and not all the power of death

can keep my spirit

from wagging a grateful tail.
Mischka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30, 2009   #6
Vince
Tomatovillian™

I have the most healthy looking seedlings I have ever grown this year. What I did different is 1) Placing fluorescents so they touch(16-24h/day) or nearly touch the tops of the seedlings, once at the true leaf stage. 2) Oscillating fan on low(at true leaf stage), very close to the plants (16-24 hours/day). I have not had any problem with drying the seedlings out. 3) Having the seedlings in a room in my house, which stays between 68-80 deg farenheight. I think this really helps the root growth. 4) transplant from 20 to cup, to small singles, to 4 inch or gallon pots with a little manure. I think that when they really start taking off it is good to have the extra room for the roots. And once in the bigger sized pots a little manure at the bottom of the pot really helps to get them going.

What I did the same. give kelp extract at true leaf stage, and later kelp plus some dilute chem fert.

The result was better or equal to the best store bought transplants.
Old March 30, 2009   #7
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Why do my starts NEVER look like the ones from the Nursery??
They grow them at 50-60 degrees in a greenhouse with fans to make for very stiff stems and slow growth. Some also spray the plants with growth inhibitors.

I can assure you that if you start seeds and put them under lights (1-2 inches max) immediately after they sprout, and plant your seedlings when they are 8-12 inches tall, you will be in just as good a shape as the nursery seedlings, perhaps even better. Don't worry about it.

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30, 2009   #8
vermiit
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the insight and tips! Every year, I'm more pleased with my seedlings, and then I go to the nursery and 'remember' what theirs looks like and mine look scrawny again... good to know, pooklette, that they'll even out in the garden! I am doing a side-by-side comparison, in the same cage, of Black Trifele.

And I haven't tried the brushing or fan technique yet, but I will next year!
vermiit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30, 2009   #9
fourtgn
Tomatovillian™

Same here. Thanks for the tips. I'll be trying the fan next season.

Fulenn
fourtgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30, 2009   #10
lumierefrere
Tomatovillian™

I draped a mylar blanket ($1.25) over the shoplights and cut a swath to go under the seedlings. It reflects all the light I have available and boy what a difference it's making!

Last year I mentioned the difference in my seedlings and the seedlings at the farm market and the owner said it was sunlight. They don't spray, it's not a sophisticated operation. But I think Karen's right. If you give them plenty of light that's a big step in the right direction.
lumierefrere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31, 2009   #11
Penny
Tomatovillian™

Great tips, thanks.
Penny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31, 2009   #12
cottonpicker
Tomatovillian™

I agree that brushing the seedlings a couple of times a day does make for sturdier plant stems. Have been doing that for several years since reading about "thigmotropism" which is a directional response to stimulii. I agree--- it works!!
Old March 31, 2009   #13
Barbee
Tomatovillian™

I run my palm across the tops of the flats every morning before watering. I do it to release that mater smell up to my nose. Who knew it had benefits? LoL
Old April 8, 2009   #14
the999bbq
Tomatovillian™

so physical contact is even better than 'wind' (blowing, waving,...) ??
the999bbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8, 2009   #15
Barbee
Tomatovillian™

I don't know? My husband tells people I "pet" my tomatoes and that's why they grow so well LoLoL