Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

MAGTAG™ event information and discussion forum. Mid-Atlantic Growers Tomato Appreciation Group

Old July 7, 2009   #1
gflynn
MAGTAG™

Default MAGTAG Brew 2009

I just called the local brew house and sure enough they have 55lb bags of Belgian Pilsner Malt. This means that this weekend I will be brewing MAGTAG Brew 2009!

This year we will have on tap (actually in bottles) a Belgian Wit and a Belgian Trippel. Because I am starting Sunday even the Trippel will have 3 weeks to ferment and 3 weeks in the bottle before our event so we shouldn't have any problem with over carbonation like last year.

Brew Profiles:

1. Belgian Wit
This is a lighter beer that is fine on a summer day. It is mildly sweet and has added spices that give it aroma. The spices include cardamon, cumin and orange peel. Its grain bill includes unmalted wheat, which gives the beer a cloudy appearance and is necessary of authenticity.

2. Belgian Trippel
This is a sweeter more high-octane type. It gets most of its character from the yeast and has only minimal hopping for bitterness and aroma. It should be clear and light in color. If it were the Middle Ages and you were going on a pilgrimage to the holy land you might just have stopped by the local monastery to pick up a few barrels of this for the trip.

Greg
Old July 7, 2009   #2
recruiterg
Tomatovillian™

Dude, send me some.
Old July 8, 2009   #3
gflynn
MAGTAG™

Pat,

I will check to see if I have any water proof envelopes. Hold on................................................ .
.................................................. ...
.................. Yes! I have one leaft.

When you recieve the envelope don't forget to cool it to cellar temperatures before opening.

Greg
Old July 13, 2009   #4
gflynn
MAGTAG™

Sunday, July 12th I was up at 6AM and was finished by 10PM. MAGTAG brew 2009 is in the fermenters!

The Trippel will require 3 weeks to ferment and the Wit 2 weeks. Once its in the bottle it will require another 3 to 4 weeks to carbonate. I hope its ready on time! :-)

Greg
Old August 4, 2009   #5
gflynn
MAGTAG™

As of Saturday the 1st of August I bottled 5 gallons of the Belgian Wit. It had a nice flavor and should be good. This next weekend I should be able to bottle the second 5 gallons of Wit. That would make 4 cases.

The Triple doesn't seem to be fermenting. I think it is too acidic because of lemon juice I used to create the Belgian Candy Sugar. I may try to change the PH in one of the carbouys and see if it makes a difference. If worse come to worse I will bring some growlers up to Brewer's Art on the Friday night before our engagement and get some of their Cerberus Tripel

Greg
Old August 12, 2009   #6
gflynn
MAGTAG™

As of Monday, August 10th I bottled the second carbouy of Belgian Wit with leaves us with 4 cases of the stuff for our event. I am quite sure it will be carbonated in time and I just hope its not over carbonated!

Greg